Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prenup? Necessary Precaution or Lack of Faith?  (Read 5483 times)

M2

Prenup? Necessary Precaution or Lack of Faith?
« on: August 18, 2004, 02:42:51 PM »
I will seriously consider getting a prenup when I get married...since 50% of marriages -> Divorce.

So what does everyone think?

Ladies: Will it bother you if your fiance asks for one?
Guys: Will it bother you if your future wife asks you for one?

Ginatio

Re: Prenup? Necessary Precaution or Lack of Faith?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 02:43:32 PM »
so you're assuming that you will be marrying someone not on the same economic level as yourself?

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 02:46:31 PM »
i actually think if you need to think about it your marriage is already in jeopardy.  but for most americans, this might be the right approach.

M2

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 02:48:23 PM »
i actually think if you need to think about it your marriage is already in jeopardy.  but for most americans, this might be the right approach.

I agree...and actually my on/off girlfriend of 5 years is the exception... I should explain myself a bit more.

What I meant was that with HER I wouldn't get one...but with someone else I would definitely consider it.

It's easy to trust someone if you start out with them when you are poor...

As for Ginatio...no i am not assuming that, but lets face it... the majority of people don't make a significant amount of money.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 02:49:13 PM »
a prenup is the first sign of mistrust. 

i am completely against them in marriage. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:49:41 PM »
i actually think if you need to think about it your marriage is already in jeopardy.  but for most americans, this might be the right approach.

I agree...and actually my on/off girlfriend of 5 years is the exception... I should explain myself a bit more.

What I meant was that with HER I wouldn't get one...but with someone else I would definitely consider it.

given that you're not in a situation to consider someone else, you really can't make that statement conclusively, can you?

M2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »

given that you're not in a situation to consider someone else, you really can't make that statement conclusively, can you?

Ginatio my friend... you like to try to stir things up dont you.

I said " I would consider it". That is far from conclusive.
The "definitely" in my original post is assuming things dont work out with the above mentioned woman... because I dont think they will (but thats another post entirely)

This was just asking for opinions...
and furthermore... this isn't the LSAT. I can make any conclusive statements that I wish

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 02:53:33 PM »
I don't care how much trust you have, crap happens.  Individually, I'd like to think I'll never in a million years divorce.  Statistics tell me otherwise.  If what we all individually thought was true was the reality, the statistics wouldn't be what they are.

I don't plan on ever divorcing if I marry.  I won't be unfaithful to my wife.  But if people change as they do in time or things go downhill, I want my backside covered.  After seeing what happened to my parents' marriage after 25 years of love and trust (mental illness, instability, divorce more or less in process) it's just common sense for me.  I hope that doesn't offend anyone I could marry some day, but if it does I just hope she'll be understanding and realize that it's not about a lack of trust in her, but a lack of trust that things will always stay the way they are.  Who knows what could happen?

ZAP

a prenup is the first sign of mistrust. 

i am completely against them in marriage. 

M2

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 02:55:02 PM »
I don't care how much trust you have, crap happens.  Individually, I'd like to think I'll never in a million years divorce.  Statistics tell me otherwise.  If what we all individually thought was true was the reality, the statistics wouldn't be what they are.

I don't plan on ever divorcing if I marry.  I won't be unfaithful to my wife.  But if people change as they do in time or things go downhill, I want my backside covered.  After seeing what happened to my parents' marriage after 25 years of love and trust (mental illness, instability, divorce more or less in process) it's just common sense for me.  I hope that doesn't offend anyone I could marry some day, but if it does I just hope she'll be understanding and realize that it's not about a lack of trust in her, but a lack of trust that things will always stay the way they are.  Who knows what could happen?

ZAP

Exactly!!

NO ONE thinks that they will get divorced... things change and people change.
I would be 100% committed to working things out but I dont know that my wife would feel the same.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 02:56:31 PM »
Prenup turns marriage into just another contract instead of a union for life.

If you need a prenup, don't get married.