Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: the White Revival  (Read 9942 times)

Anti_Ivy

Re: the White Revival
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »
I'm Irish, English, and Creek [Indian].

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2004, 08:51:55 PM »
Hey, lawguy, it's so great that you tried Hebrew! I am so very impressed! I was born in Israel (dual nationality) so it's my first lang. Akol beseder (I'm doing fine). Wish I could say something in chinese! That's a really cool story.
You're right about Samarkand. In the British Library, where I seem to live at the moment, researching my thesis, they've got exhibition on about the Eastern Silk Road. I've never known that much about what it was like over there (apart from the amazing food!!) but today I learned all about how most of the Jews who came from there actually converted from Islam. There are amazing pictures of temples and remnants of silk clothes and things from hundreds of years ago. It _is_ pretty strange ancestry, I guess. I should ask them to add a box in the URM tickbox list for people from Samarkand. They can't have many of those!
Turns out we come from close to one another!

lawguy

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »
Hey, lawguy, it's so great that you tried Hebrew! I am so very impressed! I was born in Israel (dual nationality) so it's my first lang. Akol beseder (I'm doing fine). Wish I could say something in chinese! That's a really cool story.
You're right about Samarkand. In the British Library, where I seem to live at the moment, researching my thesis, they've got exhibition on about the Eastern Silk Road. I've never known that much about what it was like over there (apart from the amazing food!!) but today I learned all about how most of the Jews who came from there actually converted from Islam. There are amazing pictures of temples and remnants of silk clothes and things from hundreds of years ago. It _is_ pretty strange ancestry, I guess. I should ask them to add a box in the URM tickbox list for people from Samarkand. They can't have many of those!
Turns out we come from close to one another!

How funny! :)  Maybe our ancestors once spoke Hebrew and Chinese to one another?  Haha.  Just kidding.  Actually if they did, that'd be totally weird.  Anyhow, that's cool you're doing your thesis on Samarkand.  What's it going to be about, if you don't mind me asking?  (I was a history major and have always liked Central Asian history, although I don't know as much about it as I would like.)

Cool Hand Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2004, 05:19:29 AM »
Father: Purely Polish, grandson of four Poland-born immigrants.
Maternal grandmother: German, as in from Germany, never naturalized and with amusing accent.
Maternal grandfather: Mormon WASP, if that's possible.
3.58/172 LSN: CoolHandLuke
Since that seems to be the thing y'all do around here.

M2

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »

Cool Hand Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »
Mormon WASP, if that's possible.
nope
Heh. Mormons never call themselves protestant, but maybe "Mormon WASP" should mean white, anglo-saxon decendent of polygamists.
3.58/172 LSN: CoolHandLuke
Since that seems to be the thing y'all do around here.

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2004, 11:29:34 PM »
Finnish, Swedish, Norweigen, English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Czech, French, German, Sicilian, and Cherokee here. Of course, some of those are going pretty far back in my lineage.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

nathanielmark

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2004, 09:24:44 AM »
Finnish, Swedish, Norweigen, English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Czech, French, German, Sicilian, and Cherokee here. Of course, some of those are going pretty far back in my lineage.

Big shoutout.... irish greek with a little danish and dutch.

johnstudentbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2004, 02:45:37 PM »
white people rule love hippies

nathanielmark

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »
my threads get no respect