Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is anyone else considering waiting an extra year to apply?  (Read 1391 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else considering waiting an extra year to apply?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 02:18:47 PM »
I sat out an application cycle and I'm glad I did. I didn't decide I wanted to go to LS soon enough to get the ball rolling in time to start right after UG, and then when I started my job there were several things about it that made me want to put it off a second year.

The whole process is going to be MUCH easier becaues I took so much time off and spread the process out.

stc34

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »
I sat out an application cycle and I'm glad I did. I didn't decide I wanted to go to LS soon enough to get the ball rolling in time to start right after UG, and then when I started my job there were several things about it that made me want to put it off a second year.

The whole process is going to be MUCH easier becaues I took so much time off and spread the process out.

So exactly how much time will you have taken off between UG and LS?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 02:48:11 PM »
I graduated in December '04 and will start school in Aug/Sept '07....it'll be about 2 1/2 almost 3 years.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »
what did you do between UG and LS???

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 02:55:57 PM »
Worked in the employee benefits department of an insurance brokerage firm (helping employers design their group benefits packages).

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »
I graduated from college (UG) 4 years ago, and I earned a Masters degree two years ago. I'm a teacher and I've always wanted to become a lawyer. I was going to apply this year and take the LSAT in Dec. or Feb.

I will wait another year (or two) to apply to law school. I need to work on getting my Professional certificate (my temporary cert. will expire in 2 years) and prepare more for the LSAT. I'm also taking a class for a Reading Endorsement.

I also need to take time out to enjoy reading a good book!

Law school will still be there next year!
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »
I graduated from college (UG) 4 years ago, and I earned a Masters degree two years ago. I'm a teacher and I've always wanted to become a lawyer. I was going to apply this year and take the LSAT in Dec. or Feb.

I will wait another year (or two) to apply to law school. I need to work on getting my Professional certificate (my temporary cert. will expire in 2 years) and prepare more for the LSAT. I'm also taking a class for a Reading Endorsement.

You're doing the 600 hours even though you're going to law school? That's one reason I decided not to teach in Florida- no way am I going to go through 600 hours of unpaid training for a permanent certificate after getting my master's degree.

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:52:53 PM »

You're doing the 600 hours even though you're going to law school? That's one reason I decided not to teach in Florida- no way am I going to go through 600 hours of unpaid training for a permanent certificate after getting my master's degree.

Yes. If I don't get my Professional certificate now, I won't have a job.
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 11:16:23 PM »

Yes. If I don't get my Professional certificate now, I won't have a job.

Here lots of people refuse to start taking any classes until they have a year left. I've yet to meet anyone who got fired as a result. It just doesn't seem worth it if you know you're leaving.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
patience young grasshopper.  I waited a yr last yr and applied this cycle.  I busted my but senior yr and got a 4.0 that yr.  Studied my but off for the lsat.  And spent just as much tim eon my PS.  Its paying off.

Oh and in the meantime i worked in a firm.
Princeton Law 2010