Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Are women given URM benefits in the admissions process, and should they be?

They are not, nor should they be.
 22 (34.4%)
They are, but shouldn't be.
 5 (7.8%)
They aren't, but should be.
 15 (23.4%)
They aren't, and shouldn't be.
 22 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Women = URM???  (Read 9555 times)

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
Re: Women = URM???
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »

Then make sure to be one of those women.

I plan to be. :)

Good luck!! You need it  :P ...By the way Kristyb, I am reading your past posts on love, wasting time, popping popcorn, getting ready to be catty, HA!...Let me get this straight you had one ex-boyfriend that treated you like you were sh^t and another who didn't like sleeping with you, and wanted to see other people? Have you ever thought the problem rested in you? That you are just not a very impressive person? Your exchange with me has demonstrated that to me. Maybe they caught on too  ;D

Peace,
Jenny

KristyB

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »
Jenny,

Just because I think professionals should be having kids, doesn't mean that I think people who are non-professionals shouldn't be.  There are white collar jobs and blue collar jobs, I'm sure you know this.  I used bank teller as an example because I do see it as a professional job.  From your posts, it doesn't seem like you would.  At this point I am laughing at your responses.  You are being ridiculous.  There was a total of one other person that I had an argument with and if you read my post from that episode, you would know that my comment was not "dumb".  

I am not lying and I am not making up excuses.  And I was being sarcastic about being flattered by your posts.  I was making a point that the only posts you have so far are to trash me.  Why are you here anyway?  Are you applying to law school right now?  Why don't you concentrate on that? All I know about you right now is that you think I'm a dumb liar that will make a horrible lawyer.  Thank you for that.

I don't know how you see my past posts as getting ready to be catty.  I'm not the catty one here.  I'm not responding to you anymore after your last post.  Don't make jokes about someone whose been in an abusive relationship.  That's right, that girl that got beat up, it was her fault, right? Struck a nerve there and I'm not responding anymore.  Yeah, the problem did rest in me choosing the wrong guys.  Many intelligent women choose the wrong guys.  I think it is interesting that you continue to attack me personally when I am not reciprocating.  Have I yet made a comment about you personally?   You have a lot of growing up to do, I don't care how old you are. 

KristyB

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 12:48:53 PM »
And that last comment was meant as a personal attack.  It was well-earned.

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 01:07:02 PM »
Jenny,

Just because I think professionals should be having kids, doesn't mean that I think people who are non-professionals shouldn't be.  There are white collar jobs and blue collar jobs, I'm sure you know this.  I used bank teller as an example because I do see it as a professional job.  From your posts, it doesn't seem like you would.  At this point I am laughing at your responses.  You are being ridiculous.  There was a total of one other person that I had an argument with and if you read my post from that episode, you would know that my comment was not "dumb".  

I am not lying and I am not making up excuses.  And I was being sarcastic about being flattered by your posts.  I was making a point that the only posts you have so far are to trash me.  Why are you here anyway?  Are you applying to law school right now?  Why don't you concentrate on that? All I know about you right now is that you think I'm a dumb liar that will make a horrible lawyer.  Thank you for that.

I don't know how you see my past posts as getting ready to be catty.  I'm not the catty one here.  I'm not responding to you anymore after your last post.  Don't make jokes about someone whose been in an abusive relationship.  That's right, that girl that got beat up, it was her fault, right? Struck a nerve there and I'm not responding anymore.  Yeah, the problem did rest in me choosing the wrong guys.  Many intelligent women choose the wrong guys.  I think it is interesting that you continue to attack me personally when I am not reciprocating.  Have I yet made a comment about you personally?   You have a lot of growing up to do, I don't care how old you are. 

Abusive relationship, the girl that got beat up?...please in your posts you said he was a just mean to you, and said mean things. flip flop flip flop. I am mean to you...because your lack of intelligence. All I wanted to say was maybe your exs noticed your lacking in intelligence department..and apparently in the bedroom department as well  :P

And I will be taking the LSAT soon. And will probably do much better then you!!

Thanks
Jen

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »
Oh and bankteller, is not a "professional" job kristyb. I know people straight out of high school or with Associates that are banktellers. Sorry to disappoint you and your dreams of grandeur, but your mom was not a "professional". She did not study to become a bankteller, and a CPA or any specific professional degree is not needed to be a bankteller. So she can be classified with janitor or busdriver, KristyB. Please contain the tears. SORRY! TRY again!

Jen

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2004, 01:53:38 PM »
Good point. It is happening more and more now though. Less professionals are having children which sucks becuase alot of people that should be reproducing aren't.
How old are you anyway? First of all, where do you get your numbers? And "less" professionals? Try "fewer" to be grammatically correct. Oh, and "alot" is not a word.  Good luck in law school.  You'll need it with your less-than-competent grasp of the English language and your lackluster analytical reasoning skills. 

I think its moronic how much criticism Kristyb got for that one comment. It is very easy to see that she did not mean professionals in reference to economic status. If you want to be a lawyer, you have to understand the term benefit of the doubt. If her post was confusing to  some, I suggest they look at her previous posts, to see what kind of person she is and then try to make a judgement of her character, if you must. She is a very smart, helpful person, and I think your attacks are very shallow. Hey but if being negative, catty and judgemental gets you through the day, then maybe you should be looking at less "professional", less "intelligent" boards. I hear that the People Magazine, and Tigerbeat boards are looking for more recruits MSWitterone.

That's fair. If I can dish it out, then I oughta be able to take it. But this is the thing:  I hate, and I mean, absolutely despise, elitism.  So when someone makes a statement that could be construed as elitist, particularly when that someone likely doesn't have the perspective (life experience) to fully appreciate the other side of the coin, it burns me.  And maybe you didn't mean it the way it came across, Kristy, and I can certainly understand that, but I am not the only one who heard it that way.  And because I thought you were being an elitist, I did nit-pick about details of your post to make a sort of "people who live in glass houses" point.  But I was wrong to do that.  It has taken me a very long time and a lot of disappointment to get to the point where I can apply to law school. There are certainly those who have discouraged me from doing so for one reason or another. I do not want to be in the "discourager" camp. Not only is it unfair of me to make a judgment about your ability to succeed in law school, it is particularly unfair of me to make that judgment based on a few sentences.  Please accept my apologies.
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

Nadia

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »
Jenny,

Abusive relationship, the girl that got beat up?...please in your posts you said he was a just mean to you, and said mean things. flip flop flip flop. I am mean to you...because your lack of intelligence. All I wanted to say was maybe your exs noticed your lacking in intelligence department..and apparently in the bedroom department as well  :P

And I will be taking the LSAT soon. And will probably do much better then you!!

Thanks
Jen

Jenny,

I regulary just use these boards as a information source for I am interested in going to law school after my undergraduate. But I couldn't resist responding to this.

Even if Kristy's first ex-boyfriend was verbally malicious to her, there is a thing called verbal abuse. Who are you to judge, Jen? For someone who is so particular about classism, you do not know one thing about women's rights. And it is a gender equity problem, because women are so susceptible in this ever-so-still patriarchal society of being assaulted physically and verbally. All I see you doing Jen is
re-enforcing patriarchy, blaming the victim, being this aggressor. That's just completely derogatory and backwards.

I have gotten to know Kristy and she is a wonderful person, who dated a really verbally abusive guy for several years(similar to a relationship I had  >:(). When we are younger we all make mistakes in relationships and in life - who hasn't? However no woman should have to date men like that, or feel like they have to take any kind of verbal assault (even verbal aggression from women like you Jen).

Women have to stop tearing down other women, we are the abject, the marginalized. The only way we can make an impact for future generations of girls, is to come together, unite.

Also speaking about Kristy and her second boyfriend's personal intimate problems as a crude joke isvery distasteful. She was honest, charitable enough to share her relationship with others on this board who were experiencing similar relationship issues. By you making fun of it shows your immaturity and lack of understanding in complex human emotions. You really have to stop leading a sheltered life, to understand people. 

Finally Jen who are you to define what professionalism is. I think of it more as a quality of character, like Kristy, then as something attached to a specified job category. I think that you making professional into this elistist concept, shows your own bias against certain forms of work. My friend's father who is a plumber is a very professional man (he does his work scrupulously, is always on time, fair to the customer, etc.). For you to deprive him of this esteemed quality because of his job title is very classist.

Please re-evaluate yourself and your belief system, to see why you are such a combatative person.

Nadia

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2004, 05:20:14 PM »
kristy said (paraphrased): more professionals should have kids.  people who should be having kids aren't.

jenny interpreted as: non-professionals shouldn't have kids.

that, jenny, is called an incorrect negation, and the LSAT tests for it.  if that's the way you think, i guarantee you right now that you will never do as well as kristy did on her LSAT.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2004, 03:26:42 AM »
kristy said (paraphrased): more professionals should have kids.  people who should be having kids aren't.

that, jenny, is called an incorrect negation, and the LSAT tests for it.  if that's the way you think, i guarantee you right now that you will never do as well as kristy did on her LSAT.

LOL.  0wn3D by 733t p00kie!

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2004, 07:17:08 AM »

No Jenny interpreted as a certain group should be singled out based on socio-economic strata, to be endorsed in having kids. Reread the posts. Sorry your one-liner didn't work there. Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are, with your 5,000+ posts. Now thats haughty-to think people really care what you say, since you have no level of expertise. Do you ever get outside of your room? Do you have any friends outside this board? Negative on both, most likely. Go do something wild TD, go watch a Startrek: The Next Generation episode or something. You can even highlight it in your planner as your event of the month. Rebel.