Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Are women given URM benefits in the admissions process, and should they be?

They are not, nor should they be.
 22 (34.4%)
They are, but shouldn't be.
 5 (7.8%)
They aren't, but should be.
 15 (23.4%)
They aren't, and shouldn't be.
 22 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Women = URM???  (Read 10118 times)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Women = URM???
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2004, 12:14:31 PM »
Austin really is wonderful

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2004, 12:20:45 PM »
Austin really is wonderful

i'll have to take your word for it for now.  :)  i'll probably eventually visit texas, but there's a long list of places i want to go first (even if they're revisits, like NYC), and there might be lingering bush animosity for a little while too ;)

how's galveston?  they have some cool caribbean cruises out of there that go to different mexican ports than the miami cruises.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »
gulf beaches pale in comparison to ocean beaches, but a cruise would be nice.

What's the cheapest you could get a 1 week cruise?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2004, 03:51:17 PM »
gulf beaches pale in comparison to ocean beaches, but a cruise would be nice.

What's the cheapest you could get a 1 week cruise?

1. gulf beaches have clearer and warmer water, and more fish.  it's all about the snorkeling :)

2. in the $500's, but it depends on the time of year.  the $500's are during hurricane, though if there's an actual hurricane, i'm sure the cruises are cancelled.  i went the week before christmas two years in a row for about $600-$700 including taxes and port charges.  (both were out of miami.  one was western caribbean, the other was exotic western caribbean.)  your best bet is to go through a cruise consolidator.  they buy in bulk and get huge discounts from the cruise lines, which in turn they pass on to their customers.  thus you will always get a better deal from them than you will from the cruise line directly and even from travel agents.  i have a list of cruise consolidators that was always call to comparison shop.  let me know if you want their numbers.

there's this new rule with cruise lines that consolidators aren't allowed to advertise their low low prices anymore.  essentially, they can't advertise a price below that of the cruise line's direct price.  BUT, if you call the consolidator, you can still ask for a discount, and they will give it to you.  they just won't advertise it to all.

cruising seriously kicks ass.  i hear carnival's food sucks ass compared to all the other cruise lines, so i never bothered with them.  it'd be okay as a first cruise, but a step down after that.  i went on norwegian the first time and royal caribbean the second time.  on RCCL, we were on the (then) biggest passenger ship, which has an ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, mini golf course, etc.  the food on RCCL was better than on norwegian, though norwegian was also excellent.  on norwegian, you can eat whenever you want.  on RCCL, you pick early or late seating, and that's when you have to eat (or go to a buffet bar, which sucks compared to the seriously awesome food in the dining room).  the upside about RCCL's dining plan is that you sit in the same place every night and have the same waiters.  your service is better because they get to know you, they know what you like, they come with your usual drinks right away, etc.

let me know if you want to know more details or get the phone numbers for the consolidators i use.

happy sailing!  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 09:31:12 AM »
Wow this is weird, I have been so far removed from writing on this board.
But I do have to say this, when AA was 1st implemented, it did include women, or more specifically, white women. White women have been the most beneficial group from AA --> How do you think that 50/50 ratio came about? It sure wasn't b/c white men said, hey we should start admitting more women!! But anyway, I doubt that women are still considered URM's in the eyes of admission counselors b/c of the more equal ratio now, but I'm sure they also keep an eye our not to have entering classes of 80% male and 20% female, unless their application pool represents that percentage.

lexylit

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 12:14:17 PM »
I'm sure they also keep an eye our not to have entering classes of 80% male and 20% female, unless their application pool represents that percentage.

i think if a school's applicant pool did have that 80/20 split, then women would surely get a boost. but the overall group applying to LS is now 50/50 or better-- i think women actually outnumber men applying now-- so the boost is unlikely. just like if you're applying to an undergrad like sarah lawrence, it probably helps to be male, not because of AA but because you're contributing to the diversity of the class (oddly enough) and you represent an atypical candidate.

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 12:13:19 AM »
Good point. It is happening more and more now though. Less professionals are having children which sucks becuase alot of people that should be reproducing aren't.

Wait there are people that should be reproducing and who should not be reproducing based soley on their professional ("right kind") status? I hope this is a joke, but from the way you came off, it didn't quite seem that way. Well I guess to you professionalism is pre-determinant of raising smart, "good" children. Why don't we just sterilize the poor, eh? They did it to themselves, they don't deserve to have children. God knows that other societal/cultural conditions don't influence people's economic status. Are you a Republican by chance?

I am the proud daughter of two very working class parents. I went to a ivy league university for my undergraduate, and now am applying to the top law schools in the country. Wow, I wonder how two people that shouldn't be reproducing could have a child that did so well. Kristyb, there is more to life then money and professionalism. Non-professional parents are capable of giving their children nurture, good educations, and a good sense of ethics. It especially scary to hear this from someone who is a self-proclaimed open-minded person and has taught in under-priviledged, Native American communities (you must have given those children you were teaching some kind of inferiority complex, since I am assuming the majority were not descendants of "professionals").

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 12:24:11 AM »
now that's a decent first post ...

jennyfromblock

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 02:00:56 PM »
now that's a decent first post ...

I am sorry if I came off as too bellicose, but I just cannot stand elitism of any kind. I found this superficiality at Princeton, and am afraid that within law school, amongst "the soon-to-be professional" crowd, it will be even worse. My parents raised me with a very middle-class upbringing, and I am very greatful. Anyone who thinks that economic status dictates anything outside economics, I have severe problems with. I didn't mean to attack Kristyb, it was just her comment that caused a negative reaction in me.

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 09:46:09 PM »
Good point. It is happening more and more now though. Less professionals are having children which sucks becuase alot of people that should be reproducing aren't.
How old are you anyway? First of all, where do you get your numbers? And "less" professionals? Try "fewer" to be grammatically correct. Oh, and "alot" is not a word.  Good luck in law school.  You'll need it with your less-than-competent grasp of the English language and your lackluster analytical reasoning skills. 
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder