Author Topic: USD  (Read 1709 times)

salamyen

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Salamyenew
    • View Profile
    • Email
USD
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
I was down at seaworld yesterday and decided to check out USD since it is off the same freeway exit. I have to say however, that I was extremely dissapointed. While the buildings are nice and the campus is up in the hills, there were many things that I really disliked. First, the area around USD, the stores, the buildings and such, do not really reflect the nice parts of san diego. It was like once you cross the freeway (seaworld is on the other side) it goes down hill. Honestly, the area just really is ugly and run down. As for the law school building itself. I was unable to actually go inside since it was sunday, but the campus layout was pretty much a clump of buildings and parking lots. The law school was tucked away in the back off a side road that branched off the main artery of the school. While the building was fairly nice, the sign which marked it was in the middle of a grouping of three buildings and the law building itself did little to stand out. We had to figure out which one it was by process of elimination. All and all, I guess I can't complain too much since I haven't been inside it or seen any of the classes yet. But I have to say, campus appearence and location relative to things plays a big part in my choice.

himay

Re: USD
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
I was down at seaworld yesterday and decided to check out USD since it is off the same freeway exit. I have to say however, that I was extremely dissapointed. While the buildings are nice and the campus is up in the hills, there were many things that I really disliked. First, the area around USD, the stores, the buildings and such, do not really reflect the nice parts of san diego. It was like once you cross the freeway (seaworld is on the other side) it goes down hill. Honestly, the area just really is ugly and run down. As for the law school building itself. I was unable to actually go inside since it was sunday, but the campus layout was pretty much a clump of buildings and parking lots. The law school was tucked away in the back off a side road that branched off the main artery of the school. While the building was fairly nice, the sign which marked it was in the middle of a grouping of three buildings and the law building itself did little to stand out. We had to figure out which one it was by process of elimination. All and all, I guess I can't complain too much since I haven't been inside it or seen any of the classes yet. But I have to say, campus appearence and location relative to things plays a big part in my choice.

Before I respond to the post, I'll put my bias out there - I went to USD for undergrad.  But, I didn't really love it, so I don't think I'm pro-USD biased.  Still, in regards to the environment and location, I definitely have to disagree with the OP.  USD has, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful campuses I've been to.  It's on top of a hill that overlooks much of San Diego.  On clear days, you can see all the way out to the ocean.  Great weather.  All the buildings match.  The campus is almost always impeccably landscaped.

The law school doesn't have a sign that is neon that screams "LAW SCHOOL" but it does have a sign in front of it that says, "Warren Hall School of Law," and the library (which is really a very beautiful library) is next to the law school, with a parking lot in the middle for law students and faculty.  USD likes to be all pretty and match everything, so only the signs in front of them distinguish the buildings, but it's tastefully done and they are nice signs, not tacky or ugly.

Also, the law school is right on the main campus.  I'm not quite sure why the OP thinks it's on a side road that branched off the artery of the campus.  The law school is right next to one of the main social science buildings and right across from the University Center, where most of the eating halls and all the student organizations and student affairs offices are.

The location, I believe, is also great.  Granted, it's not like Stanford where the surrounding area (allegedly) is like a country club.  But, it's in a really diverse area of town.  Up the hill are a ton of diverse restaurants (Thai, Vietnames, Chinese).  Down the hill are Starbucks, a little spa.  There are plenty apartments in the surrounding areas,  The campus is about 10 minutes from the beach.  I'm glad USD isn't in the super-rich area of town.  Since many USD students come from rich (and somewhat spoiled) backgrounds, I think being in the area it is (diverse, but still safe, with a mix of socio-economic classes) is the only thing that reminds students that all of life isn't the ivory tower/country club that USD is.

I guess it's a matter of preference.  If you want to go to school in the middle of a rich snobby area, I guess you wouldn't like the location.  If you want to go to a beautiful school in the middle of an area rich with diversity, it's great!

JES

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM »
USD campus is absolutely beautiful and in a great location close to the city, Old Town etc. Once you leave the hill top campus, the immediate surrounding area is not that great looking but it is not unsafe either. Just alot of pay day loan stores, 7/11s etc., but also a few new buildings like apartments, a new strip mall with a Starbucks. And once you get past that there are a ton of wonderful areas, Mission Bay, the ocean and beaches etc. As a result of this you wont find any campus bars, social life like some schools. If you go to USD you likely will not live right at USD, especially if you rent an apartment or house. 

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:16:11 PM »
USD has no doubt a nice campus, but I found the law school building to be quite dark and dreary. For some reason I got a bad feeling when walking around in it, it kind of feels like a haunted mansion or something?
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:20:44 AM »
i will be a usd 1L this fall. the over all campus imo is quite small. i went to sdsu and im used to a campus that sprawls everywhere with hundreds of buildings. the law building is very brown, but it is serviceable. i wasnt too impressed with the library, but it seemed large enough.overall my impression of the school is satisfactory, but not wowed.
USD Law grad

orangebanana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
Do  you need a car at USD? I'm thinking about going there and am really excited about the beach, but is it hard to get to without a car? Also how is the public transportation? Thanks!  :)

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:25 PM »
I just got into USD and I'm very shocked since everyone else with similar numbers has been waitlisted. I'm going there because of the reputation of the school and proximity to my family. I know that this changes my whole life but I just feel special about having been accepted based on something other than numbers alone, not that my numbers are bad or anything.  :D
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

PSLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »
Hey man congrats. I am anxious to see the campus this Monday. The consensus seems to be it is old and worn down.

I feel a bit bad for the school at the moment. First the e-mail about the rankings, then the career services flyer. I wonder how many people who wanted to go there were silly enough to not put down a deposit because of the drop. USD will pop back up next year. 

I most likely won’t be attending but I almost want to explain that the stupid ranking thing had nothing to do with my decision.
SU Class of 2010!

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »
Hey man congrats. I am anxious to see the campus this Monday. The consensus seems to be it is old and worn down.

I feel a bit bad for the school at the moment. First the e-mail about the rankings, then the career services flyer. I wonder how many people who wanted to go there were silly enough to not put down a deposit because of the drop. USD will pop back up next year. 

I most likely won’t be attending but I almost want to explain that the stupid ranking thing had nothing to do with my decision.

What am I missing?  I got the flyer, twice, but other than saw no issue with it?

And the inside of the LS building is a bit worn down, but the outside of the buildings and the landscaping is absolutely phenominal.  I know, you won't be spending your time on the outside so much, but the campus is so beautiful, it makes up for the less than perfect insides IMO.
USD 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 09:54:34 PM »
Do  you need a car at USD? I'm thinking about going there and am really excited about the beach, but is it hard to get to without a car? Also how is the public transportation? Thanks!  :)

I would plan to have a car unless you live right next to the campus, and don't intend to stray outside of the immediate vicinity of USD.  There is a trolley system, but it is very limiting.
USD 2010