Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you want to do with your law degree?  (Read 820 times)

CILover

• Enjoy the Miami sun!
    • View Profile
What do you want to do with your law degree?
« on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:16 AM »
Since I plan to practice labor, international, and public interest law, I want to work for the EEOC or a non profit organization.
Destination: FIU College of Law or Nova Southeastern Shepard Law Center (part time)

strivergirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to do with your law degree?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:03:55 AM »
Since I plan to practice labor, international, and public interest law, I want to work for the EEOC or a non profit organization.

i want to work in a big firm and eventually get senior enough to help them open a south american office.  aah, pipe dreams.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:29 PM »
I would like to end up at a corporation (preferably a bank) as general counsel or in their trust department.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

spud1987

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
I would like to work at a big firm in one of their branch offices (denver, san diego, etc.) and eventually become a partner.  From there I would try and be a general counsel for a fortune 500.  I've got about a 1/500 chance of this happening but hey it's still a chance  :) Most likely I'll work at a biglaw firm for a couple years and then lateral into something else (what that is, I don't know)

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »
I'd like to be a judge; that sounds like a nice gig.

In actuality, though, I'll probably end up in PI in an as-yet-undetermined specialty.  As appealling as the money is, biglaw doesn't appeal to me in any other way and I don't want to be working 80 hour weeks when I'm 30.
U of Chicago 2010.

spud1987

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
I've got about a 1/500 chance of this happening but hey it's still a chance  :)

That certainly is an interesting number that you pulled out of your ass.

Thanks, I figure 1/100 would be too good of a chance and I have a little better chance than 1/1000 so I picked somewhere in the middle.  I'm taking bets if you wanna put some money down. 

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »
I want to defend tobacco companies.  
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »

In actuality, though, I'll probably end up in PI in an as-yet-undetermined specialty.  As appealling as the money is, biglaw doesn't appeal to me in any other way and I don't want to be working 80 hour weeks when I'm 30.

PI attorneys sometimes have to work hard, especially before trials. You have to find a scary-looking neck brace for your client, locate expert witnesses to say what you need them to, and don't forget the fees for jury consultants.

Columbia 2L.

spud1987

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »

PI attorneys sometimes have to work hard, especially before trials. You have to find a scary-looking neck brace for your client, locate expert witnesses to say what you need them to, and don't forget the fees for jury consultants.

Ya, there's definately some money in PI but I wouldn't want to do it.  I'd rather work in biglaw.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:47:20 PM »

PI as in "public interest" not PI as in "that lawyer that advertise dog bite defense on the back of the phonebook".
U of Chicago 2010.