Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dershowitz on Israel  (Read 6131 times)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: Dershowitz on Israel
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
Im starting to realize how pointless this all is once you tools start dropping the cyber speak. i wish you all the best of luck in whatever you do. try and keep and open mind and realize that you (as americans who dont question the policies of your government or its allies) are aiding and abetting many of the ills, injustuces and atrocities of this world. I have nothing but faith in the american ideals and way of life, but the dichotomy between well educated, worldly, and compassionate people not jaded by greed, gluttony and vain jingoism and those who are the opposite is the greatest tragedy of your great country.
you should realize the actions that happen a world away (middle east) directly affect each and every one of you: ie, september 11 happened IN PART because osama et al were pissed off by two things 1.US military presence in saudi arabia, and probably more important in the near future 2.US support of israels oppression of the palestinians.
palestinians are people as well. they deserve to live free lives not limited by mass colonization and ethnic segregation into refugee camps and squalor which are constantly being obliterated by israeli military incursions. they lost their land on the political whims of the biritsh and the americans after WW2 (balfour declaration etc). this is the root of the conflict that is happening today.hezbollah is NOT just a terror organization. you want to talk about the subjevtivity of terror? how about the fact that it was americans who supported the IRA in its struggle against britain. it really is laughable how you use the term "the terrorists" against anyone who picks up a gun or who might have dark skin and a political cause. ever see team america:world police? its funny bc it mocks how simple minded some of you are.  hezbollah is an agent which is fighting the oppression of israel. cause and effect. the bombs started flying with israel. this is common knowledge among those who know. and dont say hezbollah started the attacks. pick up the latest issue of the economist if you think im just making this up. your problem is you guys read media dominated by jewish interests, hence your subjective approach to this issue and disregard for any argument which may seem contrary to your views. I have no doubt that in an appropriate setting, at an appropriate time, i could outdo any of you who think your more intelligent, more objective etc than me. but to tell you the truth, i have a life, a good one, and i surround myself with people who arent ignorant, simple minded, and complete and utter social troglodytes. ie NOT ppl who have thousands of LSD postings and who use lingo like "troll" and random alphanumeric jibber jabber (USC guy this is you).
if any of you actually want to open your eyes, there are many resources out there offering different (ie non jewish biased) sources of media. robert fisk books, the economist, the BBC just to name a few.
but, if you still want to refer to fox news reports, knock yourself out. just dont assume youre in a position to condescend or patronize me.

You're verbose, I'll give you that.

I give little credit to those who shift any blame from criminals to anybody else. I hold the position that crime is solely the responsibility of the criminal. Practically, trying to change our actions to not encourage crime is fine, but that's no different than jailing criminals. It's a response to crime, and failing to punish makes us no more culpable than creating an environment which encourages crime.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »
hey - anyone who can aggressively advocate for a neocon fascist militia dominated by 16th century misogynistic ideals, etc. that purposely targets defenseless grandmas with ball bearing-based weaponry will clearly make a fantastic defense attorney.

i think that maybe bough is on to something here.

maybe he has more in common with dershowitz than he originally assumed? ;)

[/quote]
 once i get in mine we can compare. but i assure you, my #s, soft factors and just me being me will assure me a school thats at least 2 tiers above yours.
[/quote]

heh ok this is amusing. i don't know why. maybe because it is such blatant lsd fight-picking flame? love it...
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Boughetto

• "Hold my drink, b*tch"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
hey - anyone who can aggressively advocate for a neocon fascist militia dominated by 16th century misogynistic ideals, etc. that purposely targets defenseless grandmas with ball bearing-based weaponry will clearly make a fantastic defense attorney.

with such revealing insight and inflammatory and libelous rhetoric you could go on to be a great speechwriter for pat buchanan..or at least a temp for fox news.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
oh i get it - you're one of the egalitarian "moderates" who just so happens to coincidentally believe in hezbollah's patriotic and justified mission. certainly we're not dealing with any inherent inconsistencies in that assertion...

"yes yes everyone hello i'm an ivy-league educated moderate muslim who believes in peace and prosperity and education for all of the world's lovely and diverse cultures - NOW DIE IN THE FIRE OF MY SEARING SHRAPNEL YOU EVIL JEW GRANDMOTHER YOU! DDIIEEeeeeEEE!!!!"

those evil jew grandmothers can be quite threatening at times. i've crossed paths with one or two during my many travels. one even tried to feed me matzo buttercrunch once. i was terrified, believe you me.

not that i'm a jew or anything, but when you stand with a neocon quran-thumping militia you stand with a neocon quran-thumping militia. you're not simultaneously apart yet together; you represent the fringe element whether you like it or not. so how does it feel knowing that no one (except for a handful of confused frenchmen) will ever, ever like you?

The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Boughetto

• "Hold my drink, b*tch"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »
oh i get it - you're one of the egalitarian "moderates" who just so happens to coincidentally believe in hezbollah's patriotic and justified mission. certainly we're not dealing with any inherent inconsistencies in that assertion...

"yes yes everyone hello i'm an ivy-league educated moderate muslim who believes in peace and prosperity and education for all of the world's lovely and diverse cultures - NOW DIE IN THE FIRE OF MY SEARING SHRAPNEL YOU EVIL JEW GRANDMOTHER YOU! DDIIEEeeeeEEE!!!!"

those evil jew grandmothers can be quite threatening at times. i've crossed paths with one or two during my many travels. one even tried to feed me matzo buttercrunch once. i was terrified, believe you me.

not that i'm a jew or anything, but when you stand with a neocon quran-thumping militia you stand with a neocon quran-thumping militia. you're not simultaneously apart yet together; you represent the fringe element whether you like it or not. so how does it feel knowing that no one (except for a handful of confused frenchmen) will ever, ever like you?

*smirk*

a few clarifications:
i am white
i am roman catholic (non practising; agnostic)
i live and go to school in a NEUTRAL country
i go to a good school, and my grades are decent.
i would categorize myself as a politically conservative republican if i were a part of the american system.
i like jews, its zionists and injustice i take issue with.
there is a difference between militant resistancefrom a quasi legitimate political group) and that of state sanctioned terror and disregard for international law. now having actually studied international law, i know what principles such as PROPORTIONALITY, DISCRIMINATION, MILITARY NECESSITY, AND APPROPRIATE AND INAPPROPRIATE USES OF CERTAIN WEAPONRY mean and how they are relevant in this particular context.
just because you are fighting a "war on terror", doesnt mean the geneva conventions go out the window.
this is the lesson you guys learned (hopefully) from guantanamo bay and abu ghraib!!
this is the issue. when *&^% like this happens, not everyone will take it. some fight back. and remember this: hezbollah STARTED this incident not by targeting civilians, but by kidnapping TWO soldiers!
THEN israel bombed civilian areas, and THEN hezbollah responded with the rockets. and now they are only targeting military targets in southern lebanon.

and hezbollah is not a "quran thumping" misogynistic organization, as some of the more ignorant variety would have yo believe. they were ORIGINALLY assigned to initiate an islamic revolution in lebanon; have sonce branched out and integrated themselevs into lebanons DEMOCRATIC political system, and are progressive in terms of womens rights. the amount of philanthropic work they do in lebanon is significant.
they are complex, for sure, but the fact you cant comprehend their role in the region, their response in this situation (they won this battle,btw) and your utter ignorance in terms of actually informing yourself about other (ie non jewish) perspectives indicate that you are a hopeless cause, and endemic of much of the ignorance that is middle america.

Boughetto

• "Hold my drink, b*tch"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 11:08:14 PM »
you represent the fringe element whether you like it or not. so how does it feel knowing that no one (except for a handful of confused frenchmen) will ever, ever like you?

nope. its YOU who is on the fringe on this issue. its just the fact that you dont seem to consider (or care) what world opinion is. you do realize that all of europe is condemning israel for what it has done right? and the UN?? you do realize that israels only ally is the US?
and hezbollah is beloved in the middle east. is it bc brown ppl are terrorists? is it religion? maybe, just maybe they are fighting for a good cause. ever consider that??

or the fact that even in israel, people are starting to question the manner in which their military actions were waged?
violence begets violence. there are underlying issues here that need to be addressed, and, if vietnam and iraq are any indication, might doesnt always make right ;)

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2006, 09:39:30 PM »
So far you have said that those who do not agree with you are ignorant, racist, blindly patriotic, stupid, and their opinions are worth less because their school is "ranked" lower.  Think about why that is...

As far as world opinion, alot of people were behind Neville Chamberlain and were criticizing Churchill and we see how that worked out.

yeehaw Dallas

Harmonium

• Sr. Citizen
  • Schiedmayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »
Yes Meesta, it does seem like more people would take a cue from history, doesn't it?

Harmonium

• Sr. Citizen
  • Schiedmayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:30 PM »
Also, I want the "I like Jews but hate Zionism" argument clarified, because CLEARLY from the Iranian president's statements, found in all kinds of places, they amount to the same thing: frequent Holocaust denial and the call for the complete destruction of the Israeli state. Again: no two-state solution, no longterm peace, just the destruction of the largest Jewish population in the world.

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
My point was that everyone wanted to appease in WW2, except Churchill and a few others.  Therefore, the arguement that US is the only supporter of Israel, and that that implies something wrong is ridiculous.  I believe you help make my point.  Nor am I an advocate/mouthpiece for a political party, and your attack against me assumed that I was.  I do think we take a hardline with Iran and/or Syria just to gain credibility back so our threats have some effect and people are not so inclined to pick a fight with us.  Pulling out of Beirut in '83 and Mogadishu in '93 showed we lacked the resolve to deal with a tough situation.  Strength was Bush's one redeeming characteristic until his recent neutering and the resulting lack of will the last year or so.
yeehaw Dallas