Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best shools for corporate law?  (Read 6423 times)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: Best shools for corporate law?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
See, I don't really agree with you about Yale. Yale does not have a reputation as an amazing corporate school. Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago do. I'd like to see what proof you have that Yale "hands down" will lead to getting the corporate law job you want.. because after spending like 2 years researching and applying to schools, I haven't really seen data to back that up. A Yale degree will get you a lot, but I don't think it wins "hands down" in terms of getting the corporate law job you want.

It's demand and supply. Yale has just as many recruiters as the other schools you've mentioned and they're usually eager to take on graduates for full-time hire. However, due the the fact that most of the people who go to Yale aren't interested in corporate law, these firms compete heavily for the precious few that are. I spoke with several professors at Yale specifically about this matter since I intend to practice corp. law upon graduation. They said it's much easier to get the job you want when you're only 1 of 80 kids competing with the same number of firms/slots as opposed to going to a larger school (or one where corp. law is more popular) and having to compete with 80% of your class.
Who's your Daddy now?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »
See, I don't really agree with you about Yale. Yale does not have a reputation as an amazing corporate school. Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago do. I'd like to see what proof you have that Yale "hands down" will lead to getting the corporate law job you want.. because after spending like 2 years researching and applying to schools, I haven't really seen data to back that up. A Yale degree will get you a lot, but I don't think it wins "hands down" in terms of getting the corporate law job you want.

It's demand and supply. Yale has just as many recruiters as the other schools you've mentioned and they're usually eager to take on graduates for full-time hire. However, due the the fact that most of the people who go to Yale aren't interested in corporate law, these firms compete heavily for the precious few that are. I spoke with several professors at Yale specifically about this matter since I intend to practice corp. law upon graduation. They said it's much easier to get the job you want when you're only 1 of 80 kids competing with the same number of firms/slots as opposed to going to a larger school (or one where corp. law is more popular) and having to compete with 80% of your class.

I don't really think we are disagreeing. I was just saying I don't think Yale wins "hands down" in the battle for corporate law jobs.
Penn Law '09

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:58:39 PM »
I don't really think we are disagreeing. I was just saying I don't think Yale wins "hands down" in the battle for corporate law jobs.

I say Yale wins  ;)
Who's your Daddy now?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »

I say Yale wins  ;)

Yep, i have to disagree with towelie on this one.
YLS c/o 2009

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 08:50:24 PM »
Just because I'm unpopular doesn't mean I'm wrong  ;)
Penn Law '09

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 09:12:44 PM »
Penn has some sort of special certification program with Wharton that probably carries some weight.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »
What those Yale trolls fail to realize that HLSers just aren't interested in New Haven BIGLAW.

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:19 PM »
CLS works its students hard and creates the best corporate lawyers.
Hippies suck.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 10:26:56 PM »
By corporate law do you mean business law?  Because from my research so far, NYU, Penn, Michigan and Northwestern seem to have the most interesting business law programs.  Northwestern even offers corporate externships, which I haven't seen at any other school yet.  ???
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 11:37:30 PM »
By corporate law do you mean business law?  Because from my research so far, NYU, Penn, Michigan and Northwestern seem to have the most interesting business law programs.  Northwestern even offers corporate externships, which I haven't seen at any other school yet.  ???

Programs are all well and good, but I'm telling you that the corporate lawyers I know at V10 firms seem to be generally impressed with CLS kids. If you want to look at the success of students, I'd also throw in UVa kids in as well.
Hippies suck.