Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best shools for corporate law?  (Read 6357 times)

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Best shools for corporate law?
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »
I was wondering what law schools are considered to be best at preparing their students for corporate law. I'm an econ major and so have a big interest in studying corporate law, and would like to know which schools I should really aim for. Thanks.

ishiki

Re: Best shools for corporate law?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »
Columbia is classically considered as having the most influential corporate law department and journal, but Harvard and NYU are right up there with it.  Of course, Chicago's law and economics focus helps, but their international offerings are a bit weak if you're interested in that aspect of business at all.  But my meager opinion would say those four schools comprise the upper-crust of corporate law.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:23:13 PM »
I'm not sure I know what corporate law means, but traditionally the top schools (HYSCCNMVP) are tops in corporate.  After that, look at firms in the big cities (the ones with the corporations).

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »
I was wondering what law schools are considered to be best at preparing their students for corporate law. I'm an econ major and so have a big interest in studying corporate law, and would like to know which schools I should really aim for. Thanks.

You'd have to be more specific. A huge part of corporate law right now is IP, and Stanford is very strong in that area. If you're more interested in the financial side of things, like securities law and the like, Columbia is probably your best bet, but Harvard and Chicago are pretty solid as well. For international business law, Harvard and Columbia are the tops. For law and economics, which you mention in your post, Chicago is peerless. If you just want to work in a corporation in some capacity, you should just go to the best law school you can get into, and one that is in the same university as a top business school is a plus.
Columbia 2L.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »
Corporate would definitly be strongest at Columbia, Harvard, and Chicago. I think Stanford, NYU, and Penn (thanks Wharton!) also could be up there, but perhaps not at the exact level as the top 3. That said, if you go to a T14 you will have access to a great corporate education but, depending on where you go, you may need to do better to land a sweet corporate job than you would at a higher ranked school.
Penn Law '09

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:00:55 PM »
In terms of preparation for corporate law: Harvard hands down.

In terms of getting the corporate law job you want: Yale hands down.
YLS c/o 2009

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:05:33 PM »

See, I don't really agree with you about Yale. Yale does not have a reputation as an amazing corporate school. Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago do. I'd like to see what proof you have that Yale "hands down" will lead to getting the corporate law job you want.. because after spending like 2 years researching and applying to schools, I haven't really seen data to back that up. A Yale degree will get you a lot, but I don't think it wins "hands down" in terms of getting the corporate law job you want.
Penn Law '09

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 01:09:57 PM »
Corporate law is just a general practice area.
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »

See, I don't really agree with you about Yale. Yale does not have a reputation as an amazing corporate school. Harvard, Columbia, and Chicago do. I'd like to see what proof you have that Yale "hands down" will lead to getting the corporate law job you want.. because after spending like 2 years researching and applying to schools, I haven't really seen data to back that up. A Yale degree will get you a lot, but I don't think it wins "hands down" in terms of getting the corporate law job you want.

scarcity, towlie my man. Scarcity.
YLS c/o 2009

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:16:23 PM »

scarcity, towlie my man. Scarcity.

Chicago is just as small and has a better "corporate" reputation. But I don't think you'd be hurting from either place looking for a job.
Penn Law '09