Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Isreal Takes Down the Terrorists  (Read 6993 times)

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Re: Isreal Takes Down the Terrorists
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 02:01:32 PM »
Unfortunately, innocent lives being taken is a common casualty of war. Lebanon should have previously pushed hezbuhla out of their country before they waged war on Isreal. The backing of hezbuhla by syria and iran could prove rather costly to the way the world looks at them.
Venezula's Chavez is making a huge mistake by allying with iran this past week. It is inevitable that he will cause many of his fellow countrymen death in the future with his hatred of the civilized west.
Now, if I were in charge, I would send Isreal our nuclear armorment, and tell them to go to town. The middle east is making this world a very dangerous place. It is quite unnerving to know that millions of muslims have such a deep hatred for Americans and the rest of the West for no solid reasons. Nuke the middle east, bring the world peace.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

oldskewlphool

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
hey fuckwad, there were long range missles being launched into Israel from right around that building.  Israel unfortunately missed and hit a building.  But the rockets are being fired from a civilian area.  Israel's job is to take them out, accidents happen.  In Tyre they managed a direct score on the rocket launchers, here they didn't.  Too f-ing bad.

Go kill yourself, terrorist.

whoa, calm down dude. I know those 34 children were a serious threat.

are you calling me a terrorist?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
hey fuckwad, there were long range missles being launched into Israel from right around that building.  Israel unfortunately missed and hit a building.  But the rockets are being fired from a civilian area.  Israel's job is to take them out, accidents happen.  In Tyre they managed a direct score on the rocket launchers, here they didn't.  Too f-ing bad.

This kind of diplomacy will do wonders for your cause, Trollik.  Israel must take responsibility, apologize for this tragic error, and agree (at minimum) to guard passage of humanitarian and evacuation missions through southern Lebanon.  (I heard Olmert taking responsibility this morning; if he can do it, you should be able to.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »

This kind of diplomacy will do wonders for your cause, Trollik.  Israel must take responsibility, apologize for this tragic error, and agree (at minimum) to guard passage of humanitarian and evacuation missions through southern Lebanon.  (I heard Olmert taking responsibility this morning; if he can do it, you should be able to.)

a 1mi flatland around any long range hezbollah missle launch site should be expected.  period.  no apologies.

Heh, I guess I should be happy that you've moderated your stance from a 78 sq. mile range to a 3 sq. mile range.  Still, this is insane.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »
When a terrorist group starts a war in a country (with any other country), they should be held responsible for all deaths incured in that country.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »
When a terrorist group starts a war in a country (with any other country), they should be held responsible for all deaths incured in that country.

bingo.

This just strikes me as a bizarre moral accounting that would completely remove any responsibility from the unoccupied country to do things like minimizing civilian deaths or abide by the rules of war.  We generally give parties with agency (like Israel) greater, not lesser, responsibility for their actions.  To borrow an example from another thread about this, if you had a terrorist group occupying Toronto and bombing Buffalo, do you think the terrorist group would then be responsible if the US retaliated by bombing Victoria, BC?  I would hold the US responsible for having such an irrational and disproportionate response.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »
Lebanon is 4/5th the size of Conneticut (ha, I can't even spell a US state. guess that really erases my credibility). With that being said, nearly every hit on Lebanon is within the "kill zone". It is ridiculous to make an analogy with Canada and Lebanon, when one is speaking about distance.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
Lebanon is 4/5th the size of Conneticut (ha, I can't even spell a US state. guess that really erases my credibility). With that being said, nearly every hit on Lebanon is within the "kill zone". It is ridiculous to make an analogy with Canada and Lebanon, when one is speaking about distance.

Well, the rule you laid out seemed to be about nations, not about geographical area, so I was just borrowing an example that others (on your side, I'll add) had used in another thread about the same topic.  So what do you think are the fair parameters, since it doesn't actually seem to be about national boundaries?

I'm also (more) interested in your thoughts about the obligation of the unoccupied nation's army to use force responsibly. 

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »

[/quote]
I'm also (more) interested in your thoughts about the obligation of the unoccupied nation's to use force responsibly. 
[/quote]

Force used responsibly? The terrorists should pay for what they have done. Force is not an issue. If you have murdered a person in the US; and when the police break down your door, throw you on the ground, punch you in the back of the neck (for not cooperating), then toss you into jail...is that a misuse of force? Should no force be used? How responsible should the officers be?

If the suspect is a murderer, they should be shot on site. That is it.