Law School Discussion

Kickass List of Law Movies

check01

Re: Kickass List of Law Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:48:58 AM »
Oy! Talk about a bunch of crap.

The other day on Slate.com there was an article about the capsule reviewers for the New York Times being the best writers in journalism because they could communicate so much in so few words. The article's author invited reviews of movies that were 20 words or less.  I had just watched The Paper Chase over the weekend because, apparently, it's mandatory for all incoming law students. Here's my 20-word capsule:

"Whiny Harvard Law student befriends various jerks, develops man-crush on sadistic professor. Good recruiting film for Yale Law School."

Avoid this crappy movie at all costs.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
My recommendation for a good 1L movie: "Thank You for Smoking." Not about law per se, but good for its discussion of arguments and how to use them.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:47:05 AM »
I am amused by this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/TIQY05O0N4F6/ref=cm_cnsr_sylt_3/104-1662091-2086329

I love some of those...

My 2 favs are "A Civil Action" and the mandatory "Paper Chase"...I could see them making that list for the Hollywood version of being a lawyer.  The reality is far different I bet.

I think 0ls should watch Paper Chase for sure since most in law school have seen it and it is a good icebreaker conversational piece

check01

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:00:24 AM »
I think 0ls should watch Paper Chase for sure since most in law school have seen it and it is a good icebreaker conversational piece

Sample "Paper Chase" conversation starters:

1. So, did you think the movie was more stupid than it was boring, or the other way around?

2. I wouldn't do Lindsay Wagner with John Houseman's male private part, how about you?

3. Remember the guy with the photographic memory who tried to answer a question in class by flipping through the casebook? Isn't flipping pages to refresh your memory a bad time to announce to the entire class that you have a photographic memory? Shouldn't you do that during orientation to get maximum effect from your classmates?

4. Remember when he broke into the library to get the professor's 1L notes? Do you think the pages were sticky when he put that book back?

5. How could he find time to study between stalking both the professor and his daughter?

6.  Would the movie still have been as creepy even without those hairstyles?

7.  I don't know about you, but when I finish my 800-page outline, I'm going to keep it in a binder so it doesn't fly all over the quad.

8. I hope that if I screw up so badly in law school that I decide to kill myself, I don't screw up killing myself. Christ, what a loser!

9. Can you believe there was a time when "pimp" was an insult?

10. The most important thing I learned from the movie is that as a 1L some library books are so important that you have to break in and steal them at 5:00 a.m. rather than being the first one in line when the doors open at 7:00 a.m. I'm totally going to do that.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »
holy hilariousness.

this is the best post i've seen so far on LSD.

but i have to ask, for the love of g-d, why are you writing this at 5 a.m.?

1. So, did you think the movie was more stupid than it was boring, or the other way around?

2. I wouldn't do Lindsay Wagner with John Houseman's male private part, how about you?

3. Remember the guy with the photographic memory who tried to answer a question in class by flipping through the casebook? Isn't flipping pages to refresh your memory a bad time to announce to the entire class that you have a photographic memory? Shouldn't you do that during orientation to get maximum effect from your classmates?

4. Remember when he broke into the library to get the professor's 1L notes? Do you think the pages were sticky when he put that book back?

5. How could he find time to study between stalking both the professor and his daughter?

7.  I don't know about you, but when I finish my 800-page outline, I'm going to keep it in a binder so it doesn't fly all over the quad.

8. I hope that if I screw up so badly in law school that I decide to kill myself, I don't screw up killing myself. Christ, what a loser!

10. The most important thing I learned from the movie is that as a 1L some library books are so important that you have to break in and steal them at 5:00 a.m. rather than being the first one in line when the doors open at 7:00 a.m. I'm totally going to do that.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »

Yea, this is some straight up 180 *&^%.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
^ Dude that was funny!  I got a laugh out of it!

*when life hands you an insult line like "robot pimp", you gotta take it and whip it back at life's head!*