Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USF vs Chapman  (Read 1055 times)

atmad102

• View Profile
USF vs Chapman
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:09:38 PM »
I desperately need your help in deciding between USF and Chapman.  I just got a call from USF yesterday and need to decide by Monday.  My goal is to work at a law firm right after law school and pay off my student loan.  Chapman is giving me 13k and USF is offering no $.  Is it easier to land a job in so cal with a degree from USF or Chapman?
Thank you for your help.

lsacko

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USF vs Chapman
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:57:34 PM »
I would go for SF unless u want to work in OC area and/or really prefer to living in OC area to SF. Otherwise, any other scenario would have me going to USF. Good luck on ur decision

grendel20

• imma boy.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calvintomyhobbes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »
USF..........

Wetlist

• Give me the WET list
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 05:46:37 PM »
USF

For what its worth, I've worked at three medium sized firms in orange county (Newport Beach, Anaheim, Santa Ana) in the last four years and have yet to meet a Chapman grad.  Small sample size, iknow.  But if it was easy to land a job in oc from chapman, i would expect to have met at least one.  I did meet a couple of USF grads. 

grendel20

• imma boy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »
Chapman doesn't suck........ they're just fledgling, that's all.  They already have a great rep for a school so young.

colon

• holla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 03:02:13 AM »
Is it easier to land a job in so cal with a degree from USF or Chapman?
Thank you for your help.

If this is your main concern then pull your head out of your ass and make the common sense decision.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:10:12 AM »
As other's have said, Chapman is a great school if you want to work in OC. You can still find employment outside of the area (looking at SD and LA), but Chapman doesn't participate in as many of the job fairs and isn't quite in the USC-Loyola-UCLA ring. Additionally, you would be competing with USD grads if you went south, and if you went west you're competing with grads from at least FIVE other schools (Loyola, USC, Pepp, UCLA, SW) and then the grads from the smaller non-ABA schools. However, keep in mind that a good mount of these students in the LA basin also go south/southeast to OC and find many jobs in OC... Chapman doesn't quite dominate the 714/949 but it does have a presence in the area.

USF would be your better bet. The school has a strong reputation in norcal as well as throughout the state. This rep. is important especially when you look for your 1L/2L jobs, since that will give you some ammo when start looking for permanent employment. Many firms in NorCal also have offices in SoCal, so being able to get in as a summer extern would monumental, especially since they may place you in SoCal if they want to hire you after you're done. You'll do much better with job placement throughout the state, which is an option I'd prefer to have given that CA is such a big state.

Perhaps you can talk to USF about some $$? I know it's pretty late in the game, but getting something would be better than nothing.

atmad102

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  I thought that USF only had a strong reputation in norcal.  I will contact USF on Monday.  Hopefully they will be able to help me out financially. 

grendel20

• imma boy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »
I remember something about the DA from SF being a USF grad, i read it somewhere awhile back... but can't seem to find it.  Wherever you go, if you do well, you'll be fine.... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_San_Francisco

Check notable alumni

USF waitlisted me awhile back..... :-/  I really wanted to study in SF too

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »
I would go for SF unless u want to work in OC area and/or really prefer to living in OC area to SF. Otherwise, any other scenario would have me going to USF. Good luck on ur decision

TITCR

Chapman is a good regional school, and will rise in the rankings as time goes on, but USF has the greatest reach of all the T2 schools in California IIRC. 

Besides, I might meet you there if you go there.   ;D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.