Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Does Affirmative Action need Justification?  (Read 17830 times)

Lerting

• View Profile
Re: Why Does Affirmative Action need Justification?
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:11 AM »
six of one, half a dozen of the other. if urm's are admitted preferentially they're stealing someone's spot. qed.

Quod erat demonstratum, eh? Affixing cutesy little proof-terms to your hogwash is supposed to, what, impress me? Did they teach you that in a top-3 business school?

You're a joke. HTH.

is your african american studies ba from university of florida supposed to impress me? your very existence is an insult to god.

Lerting

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2006, 11:52:37 AM »
six of one, half a dozen of the other. if urm's are admitted preferentially they're stealing someone's spot. qed.

Quod erat demonstratum, eh? Affixing cutesy little proof-terms to your hogwash is supposed to, what, impress me? Did they teach you that in a top-3 business school?

You're a joke. HTH.

is your african american studies ba from university of florida supposed to impress me? your very existence is an insult to god.

Yes, it is.

Actually, what would impress you? Besides yourself?

i'd be impressed if you were a urm and actually accomplished something on your own without being handed everything on a silver platter.

John Galt

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2006, 11:58:54 AM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

i'd be impressed if you were a urm and actually accomplished something on your own without being handed everything on a silver platter.

what an ironic argument.

paigeroo

« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2006, 12:06:44 PM »
i'm not even a law student fagboy. i took the lsats but decided instead on a top 3 business school so i can go into finance and own all you liberal pussies.

Here it comes.

A top-3 business school, eh? Which one?

Put your money where your mouth is.

Furthermore, your life shouldn't be about 'owning' us liberal pussies. It should be about 'owning' your insecurity, and your rotten core. Own THAT, you mouthbreathing, cat-strangling dicktaster.

Aaand Arkadin has lost his temper.  I wish I could have reduced you to name calling.  Now I feel inferior.

Lerting

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

what an ironic argument.

not so. starting from an early age you get liberal judges with white guilt to force bussing onto us which lowers our property values and brings thugs and criminals into our schools. you get esl and free lunches and extra time on tests all on taxpayer dime. when it comes time to apply to college you send in your bad 80 average and 1200 sat and harvard and princeton are all over themselves to admit you. when you @#!* up in college as you will because you will be in over your head you send in your crappy 3.0 in african american studies and 160 lsat and the top schools get a woody thinking about you. if you don't go to grad school you go work for a corporation. if you don't get promoted because you don't make the effort you'll still join the class action suit against the company and take a bull position in the token diversity department which contributes nothing to the company. you'll make a lot of money if you don't spend it all and your kids will get the same advantages. the cycle repeats

John Galt

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2006, 01:16:17 PM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

what an ironic argument.

not so. starting from an early age you get liberal judges with white guilt to force bussing onto us which lowers our property values and brings thugs and criminals into our schools. you get esl and free lunches and extra time on tests all on taxpayer dime. when it comes time to apply to college you send in your bad 80 average and 1200 sat and harvard and princeton are all over themselves to admit you. when you @#!* up in college as you will because you will be in over your head you send in your crappy 3.0 in african american studies and 160 lsat and the top schools get a woody thinking about you. if you don't go to grad school you go work for a corporation. if you don't get promoted because you don't make the effort you'll still join the class action suit against the company and take a bull position in the token diversity department which contributes nothing to the company. you'll make a lot of money if you don't spend it all and your kids will get the same advantages. the cycle repeats

Dude, I had a 1560 on the SAT. A 169 on the LSAT. A 3.87 in college. I grew up in the inner city. I have tons of fellowships, some national scholarships, some publications, leadership positions in national orgs, and have had paid jobs in the offices of some of our nation's most recognized policy makers. I make it in life - everything was handed to me. You make it in life, you deserved it all. Hilarious.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2006, 01:26:09 PM »
Well said brother.
Back in the saddle again.

Deontologist

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2006, 01:35:53 PM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

what an ironic argument.

Dude, I had a 1560 on the SAT. A 169 on the LSAT. A 3.87 in college. I grew up in the inner city. I have tons of fellowships, some national scholarships, some publications, leadership positions in national orgs, and have had paid jobs in the offices of some of our nation's most recognized policy makers. I make it in life - everything was handed to me. You make it in life, you deserved it all. Hilarious.

John, may I ask you if you think your standardized test scores, which are impressive for any person--white, black, or Asian--are an accurate reflection of your native intellectual abilities? Do you honestly think that there is not a significant correlation between general intelligence and standardized test scores, or between test scores and academic ability? Obviously, it is not a 1:1 ratio, but it does correlate highly. Certainly, you do not think it is a coincidence that you distinguished yourself academically in the same manner that you distinguished yourself on the SAT and LSAT. You also mention that you were reared in the inner city; presumably you were not a son of privilege. Yet, you were able to thrive intellectually. It seems that steadfast proponents of AA do not think it is possible for URMs to persevere in the face of racism (as you did)? Why is this so?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

what an ironic argument.

John, may I ask you if you think your standardized test scores, which are impressive for any person--white, black, or Asian--are an accurate reflection of your native intellectual abilities? Do you honestly think that there is not a significant correlation between general intelligence and standardized test scores, or between test scores and academic ability? Obviously, it is not a 1:1 ratio, but it does correlate highly. Certainly, you do not think it is a coincidence that you distinguished yourself academically in the same manner that you distinguished yourself on the SAT and LSAT. You also mention that you were reared in the inner city; presumably you were not a son of privilege. Yet, you were able to thrive intellectually. It seems that steadfast proponents of AA do not think it is possible for URMs to persevere in the face of racism (as you did)? Why is this so?

This is not so.  They dont think it is impossible.  They think that is it a heavy burden to be forced to endure. And it is no doubt that most are unable to excel in the face of racism.  And we can always find one person who is able to persevere in the face of racism, that does not mean EVERYONE should be able to perservere.
Back in the saddle again.

Deontologist

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »

You're a joke. HTH.

Yes, it is.

what an ironic argument.

This is not so.  They dont think it is impossible.  They think that is it a heavy burden to be forced to endure. And it is no doubt that most are unable to excel in the face of racism.  And we can always find one person who is able to persevere in the face of racism, that does not mean EVERYONE should be able to perservere.

No disrespect intended, but I find the idea that "most [URMs] are unable to excel in the face of racism" highly dubious at best and downright insulting at worst. I think this idea would come as a surprise to the millions of black Americans who managed to educate themselves and lift themselves out of poverty in the period following the cessation of Jim Crow. Do we really want to perpetuate the idea to the majority culture and to young black Americans that they have so little control over their lives that but for the largesse of liberal politicians and university admissions committees they could not prosper and succeed?