15 (28.8%)
somewhat
 25 (48.1%)
not really
 10 (19.2%)
not at all
 2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Are you competitive?  (Read 1192 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are you competitive?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »
Lots of people are voting but not saying how they voted or explaining their answers.  :-\

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 11:08:22 PM »
Meh. Better to be good than competitive. That's how you win.
165 / 3.94

beer gunner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »
Yes!

In grad school I really ripped it up; mainly because I did all the work, then showed up to class, and when I got challenged by other students, I basically went straight to the six shooters.  Just instinct.

I was always prepared, but law school may be a little different in terms of competition.
To drink a beer or not to drink a beer, was that the question?

OL - 3rd tier

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 05:35:19 PM »
More competitive with myself than others--I like to push myself just for the sake of seeing how far I can go.

That being said I have a reputation for refusing to leave the treadmill at the gym before the person on either side of me does :)

gwenkern

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
I'm not very competitive against other people, but I do push myself at work and in school, and I'm pleased when I come out on top because it suggests that I did my best.  I tend not to be disappointed when others do better than I do, unless I know I didn't try as hard as I could have.  I'm definitely not the sort of person who would sabotage others to make myself look good, and I'll teach people anything I know -- partly because I would want them to do the same for me, but partly because teaching helps cement the skills/knowledge in my own mind.

I get the feeling this is not too far from the prevailing attitude at U.Va., which is one of the reasons I decided to go there.
LSN

Virginia Law '09