15 (28.8%)
somewhat
 25 (48.1%)
not really
 10 (19.2%)
not at all
 2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Are you competitive?  (Read 1177 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are you competitive?
« on: July 28, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
How competitive are you? Describe. Do you think your competitive-ness will increase, decrease or stay the same in law school?

My answer: I'm pretty competitive but I'm a fair competitor. I wouldn't sabatoge anyone by giving them the wrong answers or anything. I often compare myself to others to gauge how I'm doing. I don't mind not being the best but I would be upset if I was at the bottom of my class (or even close to the bottom).

I think my competitive nature may increase in law school.

What about all of you soon-to-be 1Ls?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are you competitive?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »
I voted very.  I'm the kind of guy who will play 1-on-1 basketball with an 11-year-old, let him score a few to think he's doing well, but then start blocking his shots, and I will ALWAYS beat him in the end.

Seriously, I look forward to some good-natured competition.  I always enjoy seeing good people who work hard do well.  I have no idea what law school will do to my competitive nature
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »
I voted very.  I'm the kind of guy who will play 1-on-1 basketball with an 11-year-old, let him score a few to think he's doing well, but then start blocking his shots, and I will ALWAYS beat him in the end.

Seriously, I look forward to some good-natured competition.  I always enjoy seeing good people who work hard do well.  I have no idea what law school will do to my competitive nature

I agree about enjoying fair, good-natured competition. I hope that's the type competition that will take place in law school.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
I'm not inter-person competitive about most things, and definitely not in the context of school.  It's just not in my nature to worry about how I stack up next to my peers -- partly out of arrogance or indifference, I guess.  But I'm still pretty intense, and beat up on myself plenty when I don't feel I'm doing what I'm capable of. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:50:24 PM »
I put not really, and I echo a lot of what Jolie said.

I'm not competitive against other people - I'm competitive against myself. I like pushing myself hard. I try to do the best I can possibly do at everything that's important to me (the rest, I half-ass). If the best I can do puts me towards the bottom, then so be it, but if the best I can do puts me at the top, then I am happy too.

Penn Law '09

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 04:52:04 PM »
I chose somewhat because I tend not to be super competitive with others, but still I do want to be on top or close.  I hold myself to pretty unreasonable standards, so I don't really have to compete with others to get the job done I guess.  But at the same time, I've never been in a true forced curve situation so it might bring out more of my competitive spirit since basically I don't accept less than an A for myself.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
I am at once competitive and fairly lazy.
LSD saved my life.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »
I think my take on academic competition is skewed because of my undergrad experience.  Basically, I was supposed to be a super-brain (like most LSDers, I imagine).  Then I got really really sick in undergrad and left with the most heinous marks you can imagine.  At the time, I totally internalized it -- I was a failure at 23 because I had earned some grades I never dreamed I would see.  And then I got over it.  Did really well in my career.  Somehow fooled Cornell into letting me in, and did very well there.  It was like -- whaddya know?  You don't shrivel up and die from getting a C.  Or a D.  Or an F.  :D
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
I'm extremely competitive and like to be the best of everything.
But law school smacked some of that out of me.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 05:05:32 PM »
I'm not competitive at all. My high school class was horribly competitive and I hated it with a passion and didn't participate in it at all. I just do my own thing and don't really pay attention to what other people are doing. If I do better than them, great, if not, oh well.