Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Most Impressive Way to get off WL  (Read 5622 times)

sarahsmith

• View Profile
    • Email
The Most Impressive Way to get off WL
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »
So..why don't we start a post of the best,gutsiet techniques that really catch the admissions eye when deciding who to pull from the WL.

I've used the "I'm a guarantee show if you take me"
Obviously having connections can definitely push you up..but what else do they want to see? That I've overcome some miraculous obstacle in the few months that I applied..or that I've received the Nobel Peace Prize?

couldn't hurt.

sarahsmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Most Impressive Way to get off WL
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »
Don't just view this post- REPLY. Share your own ideas or something you've heard. Most schools WL because the student IS what they are looking for, but space is the limiting factor. So, what else can set YOU apart?

let's brainstorm together and get as many students paired to their FIRST-CHOICE!

faultytowers

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »
Good idea for a topic. I'm afraid I don't really have anything other than the strategies you mentioned already.

From what I've heard, there are people who send the admissions office many, MANY letters over the course of the summer, but I can't really imagine how they could continue to provide substantive updates in that many letters. I think showing good judgement is probably a better strategy; a letter every 3-4 weeks or so seems sufficient. That said, there have been a number of people on this board who got off a wailtist by "spamming" the admissions office, so maybe good judgement doesn't pay off. 

I think it also makes sense to go visit the place, even if they don't grant interviews. Just showing your face probably gives you a slight edge.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:55:40 PM »
I don't know that I have any impressive suggestions, but I did pretty well with the waitlists this cycle.  I was WLed at 4 schools, ultimately accepted at 2 and withdrew from the other 2 before they reached a decision.  (Of course, the whole story would have been more impressive if I hadn't been such a gosh-dang splitter and had just been accepted outright!)

I didn't visit either of the schools that accepted me off the waitlist, and I sent them each one letter of continued interest. 

The only slighly unusual thing I did was to send Michigan's Dean of Admissions a thank-you letter.  As anyone who has dealt with them can attest, they have the hands-down classiest admissions staff.  Their communications are detailed and sincere and always acknowledge the stress of the applicant.  Anyway, I wrote a very sincere note thanking her for their kindness.  I even said that I'd considered writing the note earlier in the cycle, but held off because I was concerned that I'd come off as a brown-noser. 

I don't honestly think that I was accepted because of this letter.  But she did mention it when she called to assess my interest in Michigan (about three days before the official offer.)  If anything, it just made the conversation a bit more personal.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

kavalier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »
As someone who was recently admitted off of my first choice school's waitlist, I would definitely recommend going to the schools, if feasible geographically/financially, and trying to speak to an Admissions Officer. I wasn't able to see anyone when I went to the schools (as I expected) but at least I got to drop off my letter of continued interest in person, which I think reinforced my enthusiasm to attend the schools. Also, I sent letters of continued interest every 3-4 weeks over the past few months.  I didn't really have any new accomplishments to discuss, but simply drew out another item on my resume that I felt was strong.

It also doesn't hurt to try and speak to staff members of departments/centers/programs that you're interested in at the particular law school. When I was able to speak to someone in the public interest center, or the international programs department, I had a chance to express my interest in attending the school and also that I was a waitlisted applicant.  In one case, the staff member was very straightforward with me about the waitlist situation, which was definitely more information that I was able to get from the admissions staff.

Good luck![/font][/font][/font]

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:15:21 AM »
I guess that if you are waitlisted, you should make it exceedingly clear how interested you are in a school, but you should do so in a way that does more than give lipservice to that school's values.

edit: The above advice was sufficient for me, and appears to also have been necessary.

LSD saved my life.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »
Dear admissions:
Who do I have to sleep with to get into your school?
Thanks,
gratif

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »
Dear admissions:
Who do I have to sleep with to get into your school?
Thanks,
gratif

i just hope it doesnt end up being the university's equivalent to Kingsfield.  haha.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

ksigman123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 05:11:46 AM »
honestly the best way to get off a waitlist is to retake the LSAT and gain a few points...im not doing it cause i cant mentally go through that POS and my want to get off my waitlists is not that high considering the extra tuition i would assume (no fin aid probably) and the pain and sufering id go through taking that test again...

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:28 AM »
tag
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack