Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How is Cal Western SOL regarded for IP law in the San Diego area??  (Read 584 times)

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
Just wondering how Cal Western is regarded in the local SD area for IP law. if you have any insite that you could share with me that would be great. Thanks!
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How is Cal Western SOL regarded for IP law in the San Diego area??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:38:36 PM »
I know a law prof at Cal Western. He thinks the school is okay but the students are not all running on full pistons.
Bruin once again.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »
It's the second best school in SD after USD. It is generally regarded as a much better school than TJ. But that being said, you'll compete with a lot of USD grads for jobs and generally USD grads will get them. Cal Western seems to do well in the public sector (public defender, DA etc), not so well in the private sector. Cal Western probably does best in SD - once you move out of SD, very few employers will know about Cal Western (but this is the case for most tier 4 schools).

Something else you should know (that I found out recently) is that Cal Western is a for-profit law school.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Cal Western. I'm a San Diego native & I got into Cal Western but I'm going to another so cal law school.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »
It's the second best school in SD after USD. It is generally regarded as a much better school than TJ. But that being said, you'll compete with a lot of USD grads for jobs and generally USD grads will get them. Cal Western seems to do well in the public sector (public defender, DA etc), not so well in the private sector. Cal Western probably does best in SD - once you move out of SD, very few employers will know about Cal Western (but this is the case for most tier 4 schools).

Something else you should know (that I found out recently) is that Cal Western is a for-profit law school.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Cal Western. I'm a San Diego native & I got into Cal Western but I'm going to another so cal law school.

Cal Western is actually a non-profit law school.  I am 99.999% sure about this.  That said, i think the only for profit law school in california is western state

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »

off the website

"California Western School of Law, located in downtown San Diego, is among the few independent, nonprofit law schools in the country.

Chartered in 1924, California Western was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1962 and became a member of the Association of American Law Schools in 1967.

In 1968, California Western University, which included undergraduate studies, changed its name to the United States International University. The law school retained the name California Western School of Law.

In 1973, the law school relocated from its Point Loma location to the first of its three downtown campus buildings at 350 Cedar St. In 1975, California Western ended its affiliation with USIU and became an independent law school. In 1980, the new trimester system was announced, allowing two entering classes in one academic year, reducing individual class size and further increasing the quality of education.

In 1993, the law school opened a new administrative and campus center, housing faculty and administration offices, including student affairs, admissions, and financial aid.

Dean Steven R. Smith joined the law school in 1996. In January 2000, California Western proudly opened its new, state-of-the-art Law Library, which was dedicated by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. "