Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: stetson law school- how bad is it?  (Read 2659 times)

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
stetson law school- how bad is it?
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:14:19 AM »
when you think of stetson, how bad of a law school is it? I just really like the location

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: stetson law school- how bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:17:03 AM »
you like tampa? or gulfport or whatever? im not a big fan of that area but i hear stetson places very well in that region in florida. gl

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »
I think you answered my question with your response-it places well in florida.

I am from new england (conn) and went to college in dc and moved to fl to save money on ls, and maybe stay here if I'm happy. Well I live in Tallahassee and HATE it so I really don't want to go to FSU. I'm looking at UF, but I do like Tampa. It is the closest thing that I am going to come to being a city other than Miami which I don't like. I really want to go to school in Boston- but don't think I can afford it but I'm going to apply to schools up there bc you never know what they will give ne. I plan on moving to Boston after ls. So the whole "it places well in florida" is the answer I didn't really want to hear."

I have a big predicatement. I really want to go to Northeastern but not sure if I can afford it. I'm also looking at UCONN..

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »

I am from new england (conn) and went to college in dc and moved to fl to save money on ls, and maybe stay here if I'm happy. Well I live in Tallahassee and HATE it so I really don't want to go to FSU. I'm looking at UF, but I do like Tampa. It is the closest thing that I am going to come to being a city other than Miami which I don't like. I really want to go to school in Boston- but don't think I can afford it but I'm going to apply to schools up there bc you never know what they will give ne. I plan on moving to Boston after ls. So the whole "it places well in florida" is the answer I didn't really want to hear."

I have a big predicatement. I really want to go to Northeastern but not sure if I can afford it. I'm also looking at UCONN..

What do you not like about miami, and tally?  You must not like beaches then.. or is it something else?

Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 12:03:07 PM »
well - it isnt what you want to hear but...stetson is regional like all tier 3s so it won't likely place well outside of FL and certainly not Boston. 

It is also expensive (27k tuition)...so if you can't afford NU you won't be able to afford stetson...they tend to give most scholarships to the higher LSAT scores.  i think queen received a full tuition as well as splitfinger and they scored 165-171 i believe. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 12:12:59 PM »
I know but the cost of living is a lot cheaper than anything in boston. Also, northeastern is in the thirties (I believe)..

first of- miami is too hot (im from new england and miss the change of seasons and if I'm going to go to a private school that has a high a high cost of living, im going to boston) second- tallahassee is an awful town to live in, imo. its good if you are 21 and big into the partying scene. maybe its just that this is the smallest city that I have ever lived in ( i grew up outside of nyc and then went to dc). I really don't like the people here either. IF you have never been here, it is more like Georgia than Fl. The only thing that I do like about it is that you get a little bit of fall and cold weather

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

What do you not like about miami, and tally?  You must not like beaches then.. or is it something else?

A lot of people don't like Miami- most people in Florida outside of Miami can't stand it, actually. It's a lot different than people visualize, I think.

Stetson is a fantastic school with a great Florida reputation. People in the Tampa area are loyal to the school and have great things to say about it. The campus is pretty and it has as more intimate feel than you'd expect from a school that has more than 1000 students.

Maka is right in that the school has little money to give. Rents in the area have also shot up a lot in the past few years and the average is close to $800 now, while it was closer to $600 just two years ago due to all the condo conversions. If you're looking to live right near campus, it may even be more expensive since it's so close to the beach. It will probably be cheaper than Northeastern or even Miami, but it's no bargain like UF/FSU.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
True....my last New England area apartment was $670 for a tiny *&^% hole.  My FL apartment is $875 and is in a beautiful complex with an attached garage.  However...like queen said rents are skyrocketing around here.  I'm 40 miles from campus too! I don't know what rents are like in Gulfport but they are so close to the beach so probably higher. 

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:53:04 PM »
Stetson is well-regarded in Central Florida. If you want to work in Daytona, Orlando or Tampa following graduation, Stetson is a great choice. The further south you go, you are running into Miami/Nova/St. Thomas/FIU territory. The further north you go, you hit FL Coastal, UF and FSU. (Note the UF and FSU, along with FAMU and Barry, have market share in Central FL, as well).

Overall as far as the Central Florida-based law schools go and job placement, Stetson is the way to go. Beautiful campus, good programs in legal writing and trial advocacy, great students and social scene... and close to the beach!
Vanderbilt 2010

pappahood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 03:08:46 PM »
i think the previous posters are steering you in the correct direction.  i considered and visited Stetson when i was looking at law school.  You do have to realize that, you probably will not be able to practice law outside of FL if you attend Stetson.  According to NALP, there are approximately 70 law firms/offices that interview there.  Hopefully that should provide ample opportunity to be gainfully employed upon graduation.  (EDIT: i went thru the NALP more carefully, and it looks like there are probably only 10-15 employers doing OCI there, that perhaps changes things.)

Stetson's campus in Gulfport is gorgeous and is located approximately 2 miles or so from the beach.  The surrounding area is a little run down, however. 

As per rent, it was my understanding that Stetson was buying up some homes in the area to rent to students. 

Although I did not go there, I think it would be very interesting to consider.  If you don't like it but do well, you could always transfer to UF.  Hope that helps.