Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comp after Testmasters Lesson 5  (Read 447 times)

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
Reading Comp after Testmasters Lesson 5
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
Anyone else that was really bad at reading comp started to get better at it and actually kind of enjoying reading comp now?  I'm not saying that this is my new fav part-I'm just saying that I am getting a lot better- maybe it has just been me making myself practice them.

syracuse1L

• View Profile
Re: Reading Comp after Testmasters Lesson 5
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
reading comp was my best section, but I am more of a 'reader' in general than a math / puzzle person.  I found on the reading comp I did best when I thought about the questions intuitively; meaning I wouldn't exactly know why I was choosing C as the correct answer, it just sort of 'looked' right.

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:47:08 AM »
It is weird because I am not a science person but can attach a logic game really well.I guess it's the way I think. I just have to do them faster. But with the reading comp, I dred it but am getting better. It's a good feeling when you get the right answer because you knew it was the right answer- isn't it?

columbiaorbust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
I still do all my rading comps intuitively, I don't follow the testmasters strategies.  The other day I did an experiment--I skimmed a passage in about 30-45 sec, barely reading it, then quickly did every question based on feel alone.  I probably spent 10 seconds or less per question, just picking whatever answer that first triggered my intuition.  I ended up with 7/8 correct on the passage.  A lot of the times you can kind of just tell which answer is correct without even necessarily knowing how exactly it is justifed in the passage. 

columbiaorbust

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »
I still do all my rading comps intuitively, I don't follow the testmasters strategies.  The other day I did an experiment--I skimmed a passage in about 30-45 sec, barely reading it, then quickly did every question based on feel alone.  I probably spent 10 seconds or less per question, just picking whatever answer that first triggered my intuition.  I ended up with 7/8 correct on the passage.  A lot of the times you can kind of just tell which answer is correct without even necessarily knowing how exactly it is justifed in the passage. 

This strategy gives me ulcers just thinking about it.

Heh, well I'm obviously a lot more careful when I'm doing a passage seriously.  I certainly won't pull something like that on the actual test, I just wanted to see to what extent someone could pick out the correct answers just going on feeling alone.