Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT help  (Read 748 times)

zackdeblanc

LSAT help
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:44 AM »
I need help!  I have been taking prep courses, practicing, reading test taking strategies etc for 4 months now, and yet my practice test score is consistently in the low 150s.  Is there any point in studying any further?  And, with a score like 151 or 153 do I stand a chance of being accepted anywhere?

zackdeblanc

Re: LSAT help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 03:18:48 AM »
Thanks for your support, I am just frusterated.  I have a very solid undergraduate record, double major, and a lot going for me, just not clicking on the LSAT.  I am aiming for schools in the Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon caliber, but I would love to get into BC, Washington, or a UC school. 

Does anyone have any experience with 152ish scores, and how bad would that hurt my chances at admission?  I just don't know if I do end up scoring that low, if I should retake the test or just go with it.

- zack

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:10:06 AM »
I was rejected from Oregon with a 3.5 gpa and 154 LSAT.  Lewis & Clark would be great, but I think a 158 is the minimun they are looking for in many cases.  My advice is to keep studying.  I have a friend who has been studying for literally two years, and he slowly but surely has raised his practice average from a 156 to a 165.  It's just a question of how much time are you willing to invest.  I only studied for about 3 months and regret not studying more. 

Thanks for your support, I am just frusterated.  I have a very solid undergraduate record, double major, and a lot going for me, just not clicking on the LSAT.  I am aiming for schools in the Lewis and Clark and University of Oregon caliber, but I would love to get into BC, Washington, or a UC school. 

Does anyone have any experience with 152ish scores, and how bad would that hurt my chances at admission?  I just don't know if I do end up scoring that low, if I should retake the test or just go with it.

- zack

zackdeblanc

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »
Thank you, that lawschoolnumbers thing is very interesting, how reliable/accurate is it?  I assume that it doesn't cover everybody's situation, only those who report their scores.

Also, I noticed that those with marginal scores that get accepted tend to all be minorities.  Do law schools give a perference to ethnic minorities?  Because if they do, that is not only incredibally lame and unfair, but also illegal as decided in Defunis vs. Odegaard.

jamas

• Two-Fisted Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
Also, I noticed that those with marginal scores that get accepted tend to all be minorities.  Do law schools give a perference to ethnic minorities?  Because if they do, that is not only incredibally lame and unfair, but also illegal as decided in Defunis vs. Odegaard.

I suspect that Defunis v. Odegaard is not relevant in the least. You need to look at Grutter v. Bollinger.

Heinz57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
What about getting an LSAT tutor, like a Princeton Review one? Maybe you just need more individualized help than you're getting in your class.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
Like I just recently asked somebody else on this board...

1) What LSAT prep materials are you using?

2) What are you doing for your "studying"?

I am asking because you may be "spinning your wheels" and staying in place because you are doing something wrong or you are using the wrong prep-materials.

Feel free to send me a private email or message.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1