Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Value in law school prep courses (BAR/BRI, Law Preview, etc.)?  (Read 1688 times)

Scotty the Menace

• AOL Instant Messenger - ScottytheMenace
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ScottSpinola
    • View Profile
    • Scotty the Menace Blog
Value in law school prep courses (BAR/BRI, Law Preview, etc.)?
« on: February 08, 2004, 01:09:43 AM »
Hey All. I graduated college in 1995 so I am nearly nine years away from having any kind of academic discipline. I worked mostly in computer technical support since then but also did time as a swim instructor and a taste tester for Guinness (seriously! no joke!). I will begin law school in the fall 2004 semester and I'm looking for any help I can get to prepare.

Can anyone who attended BAR/BRI, Law Preview, or any other prep course offer any thoughts on it?

* Did you find that the course helped you know what to expect, how to prepare, etc.?
* Are there other courses like these that might be useful also?
* Can you honestly recommend them to an incoming, non-traditional 1L? 

I would prefer thoughts from actual attendees of these courses but all opinions are welcome.

jgruber

Re: Value in law school prep courses (BAR/BRI, Law Preview, etc.)?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 01:09:04 PM »
Yeah, me too.   :)

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 03:22:58 PM »
Anyone? I'd like to know too.

annchris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 09:17:36 AM »
Since there hasn't been anyone who has attended either of those prep courses, I will chime in with my personal opinion.  The courses, from what I understand, are going to teach you things such as the IRAC case analysis method, terminology you will need to be familiar with when reading the case law, and study tips such as outlining, how to prepare for your final exams, etc.  Now this information probably will not be taught to 1L students and that is why it is important to grasp the concepts prior to starting Law School.  However, I personally feel that these things are NOT that difficult to comprehend and you could easily purchase one of the many "How to do well in law school" books that are at Barnes & Nobles.  To supplement this, try visiting this website http://www.lawnerds.com/  It has a "free" 6 step workshop you can go through and even take practice exams!  I think this is a great place to start and I would definitely think twice before forking out over a thousand dollars to one of those prep courses.  Plus I think it will do nothing more than completely scare you and sike you out prior to attending law school.  Try to relax a little this summer!

Christine

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 06:13:29 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I'm doing some reading and listening to Sum & Substance CDs on my own. Mostly, I want to "learn the language" a bit...or how the law field abuses it.

I graduated from college 10 years before Scotty, although I have taken various courses in the interim.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll know in a few months how it worked for me.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »
Thanks for the law nerd link!!!!!!!
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!