Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 19...undergrad at UMICH...what to do?  (Read 1364 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
19...undergrad at UMICH...what to do?
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »
This is my first post on this board so please bear with me...

I am a 19 year old undergrad at the U of Michigan. I am going into my senior year, and I am trying to maximize my chances of getting into either Yale or U of Chicago Law (my top 2 choices). Through 3 years I have a 3.75 GPA, majoring in history. My debate is, besides aiming for A's my senior year, what is the best course of action to increase my chances? I was thinking of electing a double major and spending another year on campus. Will law schools look upon this favorably or not in your experiances?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: 19...undergrad at UMICH...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »
If you're going to be 23 when you get out of law school, it could affect your employability. My best advice is to do well in your classes this year at Michigan, get your LSAT out of the way and postpone law school for a year or two. You might take another year and do a program abroad or do Teach for America (or a similiar volunteer project) for 2 years.
Vanderbilt 2010

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:24:31 PM »
My advice is to get a 170 or higher on the LSAT.  I know a few guys who graduated from quality  schools with 3.7+ gpa who have been summarily rejected from top ten schools, even with 167 and 168 LSAT scores.  Besides getting the 170 or higher, you better have a unique resume.'  Go check out Harvard's bios they have on selected students.  Start rescuing kittens from trees, because you need not only perfect academics, but also a story to tell.  Or you could come join me at Syracuse.... wait, no, you shouldn't do that.. shoot for the Iveys, I would if I had the ability

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:28:28 PM »
Thanks for your advice...

I had never really considered going to Law school straight out of undergrad (I know I am not ready now) but I guess what I am wondering is, will law schools stop counting credits twoard my UGPA after I hit 120? Or do they continue to count additionals if you are a late deciding Double Major?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 08:32:54 PM »
They'll look at your overall GPA regardless of # of credits, majors, etc.
Vanderbilt 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:43:23 PM »
Your GPA is already high and may get even higher with one year left. I'd say focus on getting the highest LSAT possible and then taking a few years off to do something interesting- a fun internship, Peace Corps, teaching abroad, traveling, etc. I don't think you'd really get any benefit by doing a double major since your GPA really doesn't need that much help right now.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:23:19 PM »
Also, an important yet often overlooked point.

Going to law school at 20 means you can't drink.  Not only can you not drink, you can't get into places that card, even if you'd order a coke.  Fake IDs are a terrible idea because of C and F.

The result of this is that your social life sucks.  Drinking isn't everything, but let's face it: lawyers drink, and the ones that don't still go to bars with the ones that do.

spud1987

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:51:03 PM »
If you're going to be 23 when you get out of law school, it could affect your employability. My best advice is to do well in your classes this year at Michigan, get your LSAT out of the way and postpone law school for a year or two. You might take another year and do a program abroad or do Teach for America (or a similiar volunteer project) for 2 years.

Do you really think the employability for a 23 is that much different than a 25 year old?  I see very little difference in appearance and demeanor between an average 23 year old and a 25 year old.  I doubt firms will even ask your age and the only way it could be a problem is if someone isn't 21 and a social event is held at a bar.  I can see why it may be a wise choice to wait a year or two after college but if someone feels they're ready to go to ls at 20 or 21 then that's fine too. 

Buzz619

• I am probably the youngest one in the Revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:54:32 AM »

Going to law school at 20 means you can't drink.  Not only can you not drink, you can't get into places that card, even if you'd order a coke.  Fake IDs are a terrible idea because of C and F.

The result of this is that your social life sucks.  Drinking isn't everything, but let's face it: lawyers drink, and the ones that don't still go to bars with the ones that do.

Yeah for having no social life 1L year. Plenty of time to outline I guess ;-)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:30:58 AM »

Yeah for having no social life 1L year. Plenty of time to outline I guess ;-)

I was thinking of you when I wrote that.  On the other hand, you don't look a day under 35.

Don't shave the beard.