Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else scored 4 points lower on the real thing?  (Read 1050 times)

syracuse1L

• View Profile
Who else scored 4 points lower on the real thing?
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »
October 2005 LSAT
practice average: 158
practice range for the fifteen tests I took:  153-160
Actual score: 154

How many other people did this happen too?  I had heard of the '4 point drop' that you experience in actually taking the real thing, but I didn't think that would happen to me.  I am normally a very good test taker.  I attribute it to: lack of sleep due to nervousness, the fact that I couldn't wear my ear plugs and could hear noises from the room next door, and the puzzles were f*&#@ing hard on the real thing.  I only got 11/23 puzzle questions right.   

PhiMuAmberkins

• Sr. Citizen
  • A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who else scored 4 points lower on the real thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »
My average was 162 and I scored a 158.  Weird.

I think mine was just stress and the fact that they made me sit still and be quiet for that long!

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 05:53:53 PM »
158 isn't bad.  Where are you now / headed to?  The sitting still was bad, but seriously, did they have to rip my earplugs?  I can't live without those things.

I think mine was just stress and the fact that they made me sit still and be quiet for that long!

PhiMuAmberkins

• Sr. Citizen
  • A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
158 isn't bad.  Where are you now / headed to?  The sitting still was bad, but seriously, did they have to rip my earplugs?  I can't live without those things.

I didn't have earplugs, but I had the annoying girl who wore a SUIT to take the test and clicked her heels constantly.  Oh, and the guy sitting next to me who reeked of the ganja. 

I'm hopefully headed to U of A-Fayetteville next year. 

katie115

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:45:37 AM »
you're not allowed to wear earplugs during the test?!

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
I was practicing in the mid 160s and ended up with a 161. I honestly did not anticipate that I would experience the kind and amount of anxiety I did during the actual test. At one point my hand was so sweaty I dropped the pencil! And after spending hours working on my games set ups, I got to the test and I felt like I had never seen a puzzle section in my life! Oh well, all is well that ends well, I'm starting school in two weeks and am happy with how things turned out. Now there is the bar to look forward to  ::)

natalieag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:10:51 PM »
*jumping up and down with hand in the air*

Me!  Me!  I'm the winner here I think!  :-\ (or loser, actually)  My high was 170, my average was 168, and I scored a nice stinky 156 on the Feb test.  Yeah.  That stunk.  My eyes were just about swollen shut from all the wailing.  I normally do VERY well on tests, usually much better than I should for what I know.  I'm not sure what to contribute it to, but I took some time off, didn't take June, but I've been studying my hind end off for Sept.  My advice would be to try and not focus on that number as the end-all goal, but instead, figure out a range of schools that you would like to go to and realize that the test is only a means to an end to get to your goal of law school, if that makes sense.  For most of you, you have a ton of options about moving to wherever you can get in, use that to help you relax and just do your best.  I'm a little more limited, because I'm a mom to 3 (hard to uproot) with a civil engineer husband, (with a great job we can't leave) and I have one school that I can attend or it isn't happening, so I have GOT to get it right this time. Time was the killer for me.  I finish RC and LR with 10 minutes to spare, and I wish I could use that extra to finish those stupid games!  Good luck to you all, work on that timing, have it down...

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »

Me!  Me!  I'm the winner here I think!  :-\ (or loser, actually)  My high was 170, my average was 168, and I scored a nice stinky 156 on the Feb test.  Yeah.  That stunk.  My eyes were just about swollen shut from all the wailing.  I normally do VERY well on tests, usually much better than I should for what I know.  I'm not sure what to contribute it to, but I took some time off, didn't take June, but I've been studying my hind end off for Sept.  My advice would be to try and not focus on that number as the end-all goal, but instead, figure out a range of schools that you would like to go to and realize that the test is only a means to an end to get to your goal of law school, if that makes sense.  For most of you, you have a ton of options about moving to wherever you can get in, use that to help you relax and just do your best.  I'm a little more limited, because I'm a mom to 3 (hard to uproot) with a civil engineer husband, (with a great job we can't leave) and I have one school that I can attend or it isn't happening, so I have GOT to get it right this time. Time was the killer for me.  I finish RC and LR with 10 minutes to spare, and I wish I could use that extra to finish those stupid games!  Good luck to you all, work on that timing, have it down...
Holy *&^%, this is my worst fear.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:01:34 AM »

Holy sh*t, this is my worst fear.

ditto that, although - as of yet - scoring in the high 160's is not yet the norm (or I don't think so at least...?)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 02:03:18 AM »
I scored 7 points lower than my practice average going into the exam. 

I didn't experience any anxiety.  What I did experience was an intense need to urinate due to overhydration while waiting for the exam to start.  I also experienced misbubbling misfortune in the last section.

I will be rewriting in September.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.