Law School Discussion

"Immediate family members"

"Immediate family members"
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:37:09 PM »
I was looking at the Michigan application, and in the section that asks for family members who went to UM law school, it explicitly asks for "immediate family members." I have two (relatively close) uncles who graduated from UM law school, but do they count as "immediate" family members? If not, would it hurt to list them anyway, or would that make it seem like I don't know the meaning of "immediate"?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: "Immediate family members"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »
I was looking at the Michigan application, and in the section that asks for family members who went to UM law school, it explicitly asks for "immediate family members." I have two (relatively close) uncles who graduated from UM law school, but do they count as "immediate" family members? If not, would it hurt to list them anyway, or would that make it seem like I don't know the meaning of "immediate"?

No they are not immediate.  As for listing them, I would call the school and ask what they think.  Otherwise, you look like you just can't follow directions.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »
call michigan and find out if it's okay to include uncles. sometimes immediate means just your mother, father, sisters, brothers, etc. sometimes it means all those, plus grandparents, aunts, uncles, and first cousins.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:49:50 PM »
Who do you guys think gets a bigger boost-the person with the close relative from UMich or the first generation immigrant whose parents never made it to middle school?

Reading these posts makes it painfully obvious which group I'm in.