Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: value of study-abroad for law school  (Read 1195 times)

strivergirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: value of study-abroad for law school
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:07:19 AM »
i wouldn't worry about the value of study-abroad for law school.  worry about the value of study-abroad for life.  studying abroad was without a doubt one of the best experiences i have ever had, and it really changed my perspective (and my life plans).  i think you should do it, even assuming your gpa takes a hit (which you're assuming it will--who knows?  maybe you'll be part of the 19%).  study like mad for the lsat, score in the 170s, and realize that it's more important in the long run to be a well-developed person than to go to harvard law.

if you're really more concerned about your prospects, if you're at all interested in working abroad, firms tend to prefer people with experience abroad for that (at least, the firm i'm working for right now does).

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
If your GPA really dips that bad, add an addendum to your app. Explain how LSE's curve is way tougher than your home school, and how it really helped you challenge yourself without false praise. Or just Ace LSE, if you're really trying to get into the tippy top schools, why not give them a reason to accept you?

I couldn't possibly understand choosing a frat over england (although I wouldn't choose a frat over much at all), but that is your call to make. Is there more that you hope to get out of the frat experience? or are you just comfortable and not wanting a change?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

emerson27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 04:10:30 PM »
Based on what I've heard from other students who've gone on the program, I think it would prove far more fulfilling than one extra year with your frat--especially considering that you're still going to have senior year with the "bros". I'm in a very similar situation, where I have a GPA i'm quite pleased with, and I'm debating whether or not to attend London for my Junior year (i'm a sophomore right now). I researched the subject, and came accross this thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,34932.0.html After reading that, I actually became far more interested in the program than I originally was. But I'm very skeptical as to whether that information is true especially considering that LSAC is notorious for dispensing unreliable information.Does anyone have any information as to whether LSAC does indeed scrap or downplay grades from the "General Course" one-year program at LSE? If they do in fact, then I'm sure Astram's decision would be a whole lot easier to make. Here's another thread on the subject: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,61309.0.html A definitive answer on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

PetetheDrummer

• AOL Instant Messenger - PetetheDrummer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »
I would study abroad.

I double majored and didn't have room in my schedule to study abroad, and I'm still kicking myself. From what I hear it's an amazing experience. Even if it happened to lower your GPA a bit, it's still going to be an amazing life experience.