Law School Discussion

Curriculum question for those who are 1L's or beyond

Curriculum question for those who are 1L's or beyond
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »
Hi, all.

I wanted to get your feedback on how useful my undergrad training will be in law school.

I am currently working on a BS in Legal Studies. This is basically training to become a paralegal upon graduation, although my plan is to go straight to law school instead of work. (I will be 39 when I finish my BS degree in 2008, and I have had tons of work experience, and the most recent 3 positions have been working for attorneys).

The legal classes that I have taken so far have required us to pull cases and info from LEXIS, read cases, brief cases, write client letters in which we explain the law, write legal synthesis memos to our "supervising" attorneys (our teachers), IRAC memos, extensive legal research projects using real law libraries (A2d, CFR, Shepard's, Digests, CJS, ALR, etc.), use proper citation form (long and short) and the Bluebook.

All of my teachers are real, practicing attorneys or former practicing attorneys who are law librarians (MLS). They are pretty relentless in terms of their grading.

How much of a difference will all of my undergrad training make during my first year of law school? Thanks for your help.

headmistress

Re: Curriculum question for those who are 1L's or beyond
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
Seems like you'll do quite fine. You've had to do a lot of writing which will definitely come in handy for Legal Research & Writing classes. Some courses may just have concepts that are harder to grasp but if you understand the material, then you should be able to write a good exam.
You ought to talk to "Lawprofessor" on here. He got a bachelor's degree in paralegal studies or something like that

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:24:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply; I hope to hear his feedback as well as the perspective of others.

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:49:55 AM »
How much of a difference will all of my undergrad training make during my first year of law school? Thanks for your help.

A lot, you will be able to breeze through the most time consuming class of Legal Research and Writing.  This will allow you to devote more time to classes that may not come as natural from your undergraduate studies. I was a business major so the opposite was true for me. I did better in substantive classes because my training in UG made me a better rounded student so I could undersatnd the case facts quicker and knew many of the substantive laws already. However, writing and legal research for me was a much harder learning curve.