Law School Discussion

I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?

survivor07

• Phoenix is Freelancer is Syd
    • View Profile
Re: I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »
I'm really glad I found this message board. It seems to be a lot nicer and the people are more welcoming and encouraging than another board I was a member of, for a short time.  I won't mention the message boards name, but there all seemed to be a bunch of pompus A--holes that only cared to talk about T1 and T2 schools.  Whatever, this board seems rather encouraging and I think we all need that going through the process because it is a struggle and it can seem very dark at times.  Anyway, hello all!

To the OP, I think you have plenty of time to get your LSAT up, a 146 is not bad.  I will be honest my first practice test, that I took just a day last week, was a 141! YOWZAH! Don't worry there are people out there who have done/and are currently doing worse than you. But you can do one of two things, sink or swim.  Even if they second score was the same, YOU KEEP TRYING! It is discouraging to know that you are starting off at such a low score, but the people on here have been very encouraging and have shared stories of how people have gone from the 140s to the high 150s and 160s...YOU CAN DO IT! Its all about believing in yourself. 

Kizzy, you seem very inspired and I am grateful I read your post. 

Good luck to you all and be encouraged!!!!!

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 03:54:26 PM »
I must say that the encouragement I receive on this board is better than anything else I have come across. For some reason I feel as though every person on this site has scored above a 160, and are all going to T1 or T2 schools.

I hope I will start doing a bit better on my tests, but I know only practice will give me that opportunity. It just sucks that I have to work so much (usually between 50-60 hours per week, so I don't have much time to study) or I might be getting better scores quicker.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their tests and applying to schools. I am sure we all have a bright future ahead of ourselves. Let's keep the friendly compassion up!

survivor07

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 04:08:11 PM »
DS, this board seems to be really great.  The other message board I was on really brought me down and got my spirit all messed up.  I was only a member there for about a week (if that long), and I felt really discouraged and questioning if I would get into law school, and if I did, what kind of job would I get (my only hope at this point is a T4 or maybe a T3).  The board was really depressing if you don't have 'stellar' numbers. 

Oh well!  I really hear that practicing until your eyes bleed (not literally, well, at least I hope not) is what really will get your score up.  I don't really hear many people advocating for the LSAT prep courses, but I hear that practicing is what is going to make the most difference.  If you can take a prep course I suppose it won't hurt (except maybe your wallet).  Just don't give up, PLEASE!!! We'll both make it out of the 140s.   ;)

iSalute

• View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
Survivor...gotta say I love your name. That's a great way to describe oneseld, especially through the whole law school experience.

If you dont mind me asking, what are your other stats (GPA, school you attend, major, exc.) I dont have any spectacular grades or anything of the sort, but I am an extremely hard worker. I dont think the school makes the lawyer, the lawyer makes himself. No matter what law school one attends, they always have the ability to do great things for themselves.

What type of law are you looking at and what schools?

survivor07

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »
LOL!  Its funny because I picked the name simply because of how defeated I was feeling by visiting that other board.  I was going to go with my common alias I use for everything, but I figured I'd try something new.  I figured I'm a survivor and I will be after the whole process is said and done, so I went with that name.  :)

My GPA is a sucky 2.8 (and unlike you I'm just a liberal arts major).  I just went about things the wrong way.  Instead of taking all the classes I know I'd struggle with in my first year of school (like most freshman do that's why their grades are so bad), I took a bunch of classes I 'liked' rather than what I 'needed'.  So instead of my GPA increasing it decreased because I took math, biology, and chemistry (classes I suck at) in my junior year.  Those classes, along with with a difficult linguistics class pulled my GPA way down! I don't go to any big name school either.  In the state where I live it's a good school, but it is not nationally recognized.  Oh, my major, to be more specific, is Poli Sci and I have a minor in English (lol, my grammar sucks sometimes though).  I do work a full-time job while going to school-full time--that is the worse thing ever.  I wouldn't recommend that to anybody who doesn't have to do it. 

I am looking into corprate law (international, more specifically).  As for the schools I am looking into, they are plenty.  My number one choice, however, is The John Marshall School of law in Chicago.  Chicago is the one area I really have my heart on living/practicing, but my grades won't get me into any other schools in that state.  JM seems to have a good quality program, so I really pray I get my LSAT up to get in there.  I'm also looking at Widener in PA/DE, St. Mary's (TX), Roger Willams, Western New England College...just to name a few.

iSalute

• View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 05:44:50 PM »
hey survivor!!!!

yeah, i decided to go with the same name i use for everything just because i knew i would forget anything else.

dont worry about your gpa, you will be fine. as long as you have the motivation to get into and through law school you will be golden. i have right around a 3.4 or so (in engineering), but it has gone down from about a 3.77. right now i am on a huge decline grade wise, and i have heard that doesnt look good. i like to attribute it to all my extra cirricular activities (ones that had a huuuge impact on me landing jobs in engineering), the ones that dont matter for law school.
i also go to a smaller state school, but it is highly regarded for its engineering program (in california). hmmm....i wonder if i am making the stupid move by getting out of engineering, hahaaha. o well.

Law School it is!!! and i really would love to get into the university of san diego. i was born there, and would love to go back home to practice. ohhh, and i am hoping to practice patent law.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

survivor07

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »
Hey nutter! 

LOL, thanks for not ragging on me about my GPA.  My GPA took a huge nose dive.  I was at a 2 year community college and was only going part-time, so I had time to study and to be honest the academics were NOT that difficult.  It in no way prepared me for my transfer to my 4-year university.  When I got to my new university I felt like a fish out of water.  I had already been out of school for several years, so I was not ready for the 4 year atomsphere.  I also hear that a declining GPA does not look good to admissions officers, but I'll have to find a way to write about my GPA issues in a personal statement, I don't know!  I like you, have the drive to be in law school...I just want to be given a chance to prove myself.  I don't want Harvard or Yale, I just want a chance.  Ya know!?  And for you to have an engineering degree that is a really good GPA.  I hear most engineering majors only have GPA's in the high 2s.  That will definitely work in your favor.  Good luck with San Diego...just work hard and have a little faith in yourself!!!!

WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! Be encouraged! 

iSalute

• View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 08:47:20 PM »
hahaha...that is so funny that you called me nutter. have never gotten that from an internet person  :P

it is quite impressive that you worked full time through school. i could barely even get through school working only during the summers! but then again, i am not quite the bad a** you are.

i wouldnt mind that chance being at haaaavard or yale, but i will definitely take whatever i can get in this situation. how long ago did you decide on the whole law school thing? i was playing around with the idea about 4 months ago, then about 3 weeks ago really decided that is what i wanted to do. hahahha. o man. not the best timeing.

so you have any of those other points going for you, ie. under represented minority? crazy life story? female (no idea if this does anything for you in the world of law, but i know in engineering it was a pretty easy in)?
i am the typical white, middle class male. no special stories, but i am still here, so that is all that really matters.

yeah....were going to kick some butt!!!!!

survivor07

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
I'm the first internet person to call you nutter, I feel so special!  :)

Yeah I worked full-time while going to school full-time.  It was either move back home with my mommy (not happening) or move in with my sister (HELL NO, NOT HAPPENING), so I toughed it out and did it on my own.  I think I've done OK for myself thus far, I just wish I didn't have to do it.  It really is a struggle everday, Lord only knows I've wanted to quit school on numerous occassions.  Don't worry I'm not bad @**, just a typical gal trying to make it.

So yeah, I am female.  I don't know if that will give me brownie points in the law field.  I know in engineering it does because not many women are in that field.  I wouldn't mind going to Harvar or Yale (for the simple fact that I wouldn't mind being a snob -I know, how awful, but it's the truth), but I'll take what God gives me.  It's about making the best of the situation you have, ya know!? Also, I am a URM (black), so I guess that helps.  I wonder if because I'm black will Haaaaarvard accept me just because??? NAH, I doubt it. :) Other than that, there are no crazy life stories or anything. 

I decided I wanted to practice law when I was a lot younger, probably in high school.  I went through the motions (I wanted to be a engineer, doctor, writer, psychiatrist, etc. etc.), but then I realized law was what I really wanted to do (this was years ago), so I've known for quite some time.  So you basically just decided you wanted to practice law.  Good for you for following your heart and your dreams.  A lot of people don't out of fear.

iSalute

• View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 08:48:18 AM »
hey..being black will definitely give you some points. good for you! i would take whatever extra points i could get. but yeah, unfortunately that fact alone wont get you into yale, but you will definitely get in somewhere. when it comes time to apply to school, dont sell yourself short. make sure to apply to quite a few school which you migth feel are 'reaches'. you will probably be plesently surprised on what happens.

i am still greatly impressed that you worked full time throughout a full school schedule. man, butt kicker! i can barely get through my working full time rigth now. i seriously need to quit my job and start just strictly studying. every night i say i am going to go home and study for the lsat, and i just plop myself on the couch and fall asleep. ahhhh yesss, that is going to raise my score.

170 here we come!