Law School Discussion

I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?

Re: I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »
I took my first practice test cold and had no idea what I was doing.  I scored about the same as you.  I took a second one about a week later and just from knowing the format and content I jumped up to a 163 which is a much more realistic place to start.

So I'd say look at the format of the questions you got wrong and take another one and see where you stand.  I'm convinced that the very first practice test isn't at all indicative of where you actually are pre-studying.  I'm beginning to notice some key words that almost automatically point to answers in some of the sections which is a great help.  (Now my only problem is pulling up my reading comp average!  I'm doing miserably for the most part -- terribly embarassing for an English major.)

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »
I got a 148 on my first practice, but after about ten practice tests was averaging a 159.  I begin at Syracuse in three weeks, which I am happy with, but despite my best efforts, I could never break above the 160 range on my practice tests.  Over time I had to amend my expectations.  My advice is to set reasonable goals.  Don't listen to clowns who tell you about how they studied real hard and 'willed' themselves to a 175 and that anybody can.  I am constantly amazed at how many people lie about their LSAT scores.  Remember, very few people relative to all LSAT takers actually score higher than a 164 or so.  Overall I would say you are better off setting a realistic goal, such as a 160 or something, and just remember that when you actually take the real thing, it is a VERY nerve racking experience and you will likely get a score perhaps 4 points lower than your practice tests, or at least don't be surprised if you do.  That was my experience as well as the experience of 4 of my friends.  Don't kill yourself with stress though, I have friends who refuse to take the LSAT until they get up to the 170s on their practice tests.  These friends have been studying for years and still can't fess up to the fact that it's OK to go to a T2, not everyone goes to Harvard.  Don't kill yourself with stress, set a reasonable and realistic goal and work towards it.  As to how lowly ranked a school you are willing to apply to, that's a personal preference.

Dr. Gonzo

• This is Bat Country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
Don't listen to clowns who tell you about how they studied real hard and 'willed' themselves to a 175 and that anybody can.  I am constantly amazed at how many people lie about their LSAT scores.  Remember, very few people relative to all LSAT takers actually score higher than a 164 or so. 

This is exactly right. Percentile ranks are informative here. What is 164? 92nd or so?

A useful exercise may be to ask, would you honestly, personally expect to score in the 99th percentile of law school applicants -- to beat 99 of every hundred REAL people sitting in your LSAT room on test day? Some people of course will, but they usually know who they are.

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 03:56:13 PM »
A summer associate at my law firm who currently goes to YALE LS said she took the LSAT five times. She cancelled something like 3 times, and the first score she got was in the 50's in terms of percentile. She then increased by 18 points and is now at Yale...you be the judge.

Wow. What a story.

Yeah, I actually just heard this a day or two before i posted. I was talking to my boss about what I got on the LSATs and the LSATs in general and the summer associate walked out of her office to share her story. It was very inspiring in general and also very disheartening regarding the law school admissions process--such as the fact that law schools are all about boosting their US News numbers. For example, she mentioned how she had gotten into Yale and Harvard wasn't giving her an answer on whether she got in or not and as soon as she mentioned she got into Yale, they started trying to convince her to go to Harvard. This also happened with the U of Chicago when they heard she got into Yale and was going to go there.

dgutc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
I scored a 151 on my first one...2 months of studying later I got a 172 on a practice...Part of it is natural talent...the rest is just hard work.  Don't fret.

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 02:57:40 PM »
I just took my second diagnostic (a week and about 15 hours of studying later) and again received a score of 146. I think I might just be doomed to a very very poor school.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 05:01:57 PM »
My first diagnostic was a 146 as well.  I think my second one might have been a 147.  I took a Testmasters course starting in April '05.  By the end of the course, I was hitting the high 150's.  Over the summer I took practice tests.  I planned to take the October test, but by then I was still scoring about a 165.  I waited until December and wound up with a 170. 

I said all that to say, a 146 is not a death sentence.  You can get a higher score.  Keep studying and take plenty of practice tests. 

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 05:54:16 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you are, only slightly worse off. My first diagnostic was a 144. I start a prep class next week -glad I am, I know I need it! I'm taking the Sept test as well.

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:26:15 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you are, only slightly worse off. My first diagnostic was a 144. I start a prep class next week -glad I am, I know I need it! I'm taking the Sept test as well.

I am definitely a bit scared about taking the test in sept, but i know that i need to get that test in for this application rotation. What schools are you looking at applying to? I have just come to the realization that i wont be getting into any school that i was hopeing.

Kizzy

• Beat The HELL OUTTA The LSAT!! WHoop...
    • MSN Messenger - kizzygreen@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AKAtude9
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
If you know you need more time to practice and study, why not give yourself that time? Is it a must that you take the sept lsat or enroll for fall 07? Me, personally if I wasn't satisfied with how my progress on practice lsats were I would delay taking the test to give myself that extra time to get the score I wanted. You sound dead sure you're not where you want to be as far as scoring goes and you seem to think you have no hope in getting there. Something to think about.

However, if your heart is set on applying fall 07 and taking sept lsat then you need to first BELIEVE that you can do it! Stay positive and work hard. If you have a negative attitude and you are already frustrated then it will be hard to master this material. All in all Keep the Faith and Be encouraged and do whatever it is you need to do to get the score you want. Even if that means taking a later test or applying at a later time.

Good Luck!!!