Law School Discussion

I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
So I got a 146 on my first pratice LSAT. I am taking the LSAT in September. Looks like I wont be doing so hot on it. If I study about 2 hours/day, is it possible for me to raise my score to a 160? I did great on the logical games section, but only got 41% right in LR and 53% correct in RC.
Should I just come to terms with my engineering stupidity and only apply to Thomas Jefferson School of Law?
Is anyone else scoring as low as I am? I believe it was in the 30th %ile, wow. I have always been in the top of my classes, even as an enginerd.

Re: I got a 146 on my first practive LSAT...should I kill myself now?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:46 AM »
Don't give up!  I scored 156 on my first practice.  I'm a single mom and I don't have the $$$ for a prep class or the time luxury to study between taking care of my 8 month old and having a full time job.  I have a lot working against me at this point.  My LSAT is June 07.  Any min I have, I study!  Just keep going and whatever you do...DON'T LOOSE YOUR CONFIDENCE!

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:57:04 AM »
So I got a 146 on my first pratice LSAT. I am taking the LSAT in September. Looks like I wont be doing so hot on it. If I study about 2 hours/day, is it possible for me to raise my score to a 160? I did great on the logical games section, but only got 41% right in LR and 53% correct in RC.
Should I just come to terms with my engineering stupidity and only apply to Thomas Jefferson School of Law?
Is anyone else scoring as low as I am? I believe it was in the 30th %ile, wow. I have always been in the top of my classes, even as an enginerd.

the world needs more ditchdiggers

/seriously, if half the people who take the lsat score above a 150, that means half score below.

//seriously, really, the fact that you have bothered to take a practice lsat and are looking on this forum for advice puts you ahead of the group of people who will be scoring below a 150 because they did great on the SAT and don't think they need to study for the lsat.  you have to start somewhere, now you know what to expect and can set aside time to study.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »
You will improve.  By virtue of the fact that you are spending time practicing your score will get better.  It is tough to say how much, but you should pass over 150 with easy and I would guess cruise into the mid 150's, safely into a range that makes you a candidate for many schools much better than TJ school of law.

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:16:10 PM »
Fellow engineer... I was overwhelmed at first with the LR as well.  I only started at like 165 but am now practicing >175, improving is definately doable for engineers like us :)

Buy the powerscore LR bible, and look into a book on an intro to formal logic, it helps... alot

Getting familiar with the terms and argument structure has increased my knowledge, awareness, and ability on both RC and LR so much...

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
Fellow engineer... I was overwhelmed at first with the LR as well.  I only started at like 165 but am now practicing >175, improving is definately doable for engineers like us :)

Buy the powerscore LR bible, and look into a book on an intro to formal logic, it helps... alot

Getting familiar with the terms and argument structure has increased my knowledge, awareness, and ability on both RC and LR so much...

as a fellow engineer,
i'd be happy with a 175

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Just some words of encouragement about the LSAT in general. A summer associate at my law firm who currently goes to YALE LS said she took the LSAT five times. She cancelled something like 3 times, and the first score she got was in the 50's in terms of percentile. She then increased by 18 points and is now at Yale...you be the judge.

That doesn't mean take the LSAT 5 times or whatever but it means you really can improve if you are determined.

iSalute

• Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:40:28 AM »
I greatly appreciate everyone's words of encouragement here. Maybe I actually will get into law school, T2 is still probably a dream for me though.

Dr. Gonzo

• This is Bat Country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
A summer associate at my law firm who currently goes to YALE LS said she took the LSAT five times. She cancelled something like 3 times, and the first score she got was in the 50's in terms of percentile. She then increased by 18 points and is now at Yale...you be the judge.

Wow. What a story.

firant

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 10:49:45 AM »

Bad news: 146 is really bad. (but you already know that)

Good news: LR and RC are practice based sections, whereas LG is a skills learning section.

By which I mean:
  Practice, and tons of it, will help alot. Take a class, read some books, keep working. Pick a reasonable target, say 163, and work your butt off.