Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big Problem - HELP!  (Read 642 times)

kfen

• View Profile
Big Problem - HELP!
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »
OK so heres the deal. I got into all the schools I applied to, except the one I really want didnt give me enough scholarship money so that I dont need to take out a private loan. Likewise all my other top picks require me moving near the campus, which,despite scholrship money would still require a private loan.(On top of Stafford)

I tried to get the loan and got turned down.
I tried again with my parents as co-signers an still got turned down.(their credit is worse than mine)
I have no other options for a cosigner.

Im giving one last shot with the GRAD plus loan, I hear its easier to get. If that doesnt work it looks like Ill have to go to a tier 2/3 (depending on the year) school since its the only one within driving distance thats giving me enough scholarship so that I can afford it.

Question - If the Grad plus doesnt work, are there any other options? Or am I just another victim of the lower middle class squeeze?

Thanks
K

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big Problem - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:54:59 PM »
OK so heres the deal. I got into all the schools I applied to, except the one I really want didnt give me enough scholarship money so that I dont need to take out a private loan. Likewise all my other top picks require me moving near the campus, which,despite scholrship money would still require a private loan.(On top of Stafford)

I tried again with my parents as co-signers an still got turned down.(their credit is worse than mine)

Im giving one last shot with the GRAD plus loan, I hear its easier to get. If that doesnt work it looks like Ill have to go to a tier 2/3 (depending on the year) school since its the only one within driving distance thats giving me enough scholarship so that I can afford it.

Question - If the Grad plus doesnt work, are there any other options? Or am I just another victim of the lower middle class squeeze?

Thanks
K

Grad PLUS is definitely your best bet. Other than that, maybe try www.tuitionanswer.com or other private lenders. But, yes, it's definitely a tough position. Push the GRAD Plus people because you can be manually approved after a computer decline, if that happens. Good luck.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Big Problem - HELP!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »

Thanks
K

I'm pretty confident you'll get approved for GRAD Plus. I have bad credit and so do my parents, so I was in a similar situation to you. I definitly would not have been able to get a private loan because of it. However, I got a NJCLASS Loan (which is the same as the GRAD Plus loan, only for residents of New Jersey) without a co-signer. The requirements are almost identical to that of the GRAD Plus.

The GRAD Plus has no credit requirement except that you can't have any negative credit still withstanding. So, if you have any outstanding bills, PAY THEM. No matter what your score is, you can get approved as long as you aren't in default anywhere.

Good luck!
Penn Law '09