Law School Discussion

Washington State Supreme Court Upholds Legislative Ban on Same-Sex Marriage

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
All very persuasive arguments from you all, but none provide legal analysis.  Sure, you disagree with the decision, but are there flaws in the legal reasoning?  If not, then hey, makes sense to me.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Random question lacoste: What's your stance on the "gay marriage" issue?

2Lacoste

• View Profile
Define stance.

I think that the public should be able to decide for itself whether or not it wants gay marriage.  That's why I'm in favor of decision such as Washington's here and New York's recent one.  Let the legislative branch figure it out.  If people aren't happy with that result, elect new representatives and change the law.  I'm not one for judges legislating from the bench.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Define stance.

I think that the public should be able to decide for itself whether or not it wants gay marriage.  That's why I'm in favor of decision such as Washington's here and New York's recent one.  Let the legislative branch figure it out.  If people aren't happy with that result, elect new representatives and change the law.  I'm not one for judges legislating from the bench.

I see...thanks much!  :)

faith2005

well lacoste in terms of legal analysis we probably all realize that rational basis review means that whatever the law says goes for the most part. there are very limited instances in which a law is analyzed according to rational basis review and is then struck down by the courts. However, I think that the lgbt legal strategy needs to focus on getting the decisions to point in the direction of heightened scrutiny for lgbt folks b/f the court will strike down doma type laws. The tiers are manipulated so often and with such irony that at this point all they do is provide a cloak for those who oppose a particular minority group to hide behind. Like red. said they're dressed in their sunday best. Look, we didn't do it of our own accord--we were just following rational basis review. And we all know that courts hate to be reversed, so there you have it. Faith's faux legal analysis.  :D

and in general even though I don't think gay marriage is a pressing issue (partly b/c I think the gay rights agenda is being controlled by the well off white lgbt community) it is still unfortunate that arguments such as allowing someone to get married or not get married will end procreation. seems to me that its also a thinly veiled issue of the fear of a non-white (black) planet. and its sad that some consider that rational in 2006.

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
Fewer things bother me more than government's attempts to intrude into people's private lives and forcibly impose Christian morality upon them. The capacity to pursue happiness is granted by the Constitution, and as long as no one is harmed, who can legitametely(sic) dicate who may marry and who may not? I think Bush should be devoting his time to other, more compelling issues.

ok, forget that last part.

mivida2k

• Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
Look how they outed NSyncer Lance Bass (Ya'll know you used to love them)

NEW YORK -        Lance Bass, band member of 'N Sync, says he's gay and in a "very stable" relationship with a reality show star. Bass, who formed 'N Sync with        Justin Timberlake,        JC Chasez,        Joey Fatone and        Chris Kirkpatrick, tells People magazine that he didn't earlier disclose his sexuality because he didn't want to

"I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys' careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even said (that I was gay), it would overpower everything," he tells the magazine.

'N Sync is known for a string of hits including "Bye Bye Bye" and "It's Gonna Be Me." The band went on hiatus in 2002. Bass has also found headlines for undertaking astronaut training and failing to raise money for a trip into space.

Bass says he wondered if his coming out could prompt "the end of 'N Sync." He explains, "So I had that weight on me of like, `Wow, if I ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did."

The singer says he's in a "very stable" relationship with 32-year-old actor Reichen Lehmkuhl, winner of season four of CBS' "Amazing Race."

Bass and Fatone, 29, are developing a sitcom pilot inspired by the screwball comedy "The Odd Couple," in which his character will be gay.

"The thing is, I'm not ashamed that's the one thing I went to say," Bass says. "I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I've been my whole life. I'm just happy."

___

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Awwww, how romantic  :)

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Fewer things bother me more than government's attempts to intrude into people's private lives and forcibly impose Christian morality upon them. The capacity to pursue happiness is granted by the Constitution, and as long as no one is harmed, who can legitametely(sic) dicate who may marry and who may not? I think Bush should be devoting his time to other, more compelling issues.

Ditto!

2Lacoste

• View Profile

ok, forget that last part.

Religions other than Christianity are against homosexuality.  I fail to see how regulating this matter is "forcibly impos[ing] Christianity" on anyone.