Law School Discussion

№1 choice school PS

№1 choice school PS
« on: July 25, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
What`s your opinion: should you state in the PS for your #1 choice school that it is your #1 on the list and that you will 100% accept admission in case you get it?
in case ths school has no ead program.
Thanks for your advice!

Re: №1 choice school PS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »
Write it unless they specifically say not to send additional essays.

Why not?

EDIT thought this meant separate from actual ps

spud1987

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »
What I'm going to do is just keep my generic ps and then write a "why x?" essay explaining that they are my number one choice.  Anna Ivey's book says that its not good idea to tack on a paragraph at the end of a PS explaining why you want to go to X law school.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:05:43 PM »
I fully plan on sending an additional statement telling my top choice school that they are my top choice.

PhiMuAmberkins

• A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 03:28:33 PM »
I agree that you shouldn't just tack something on the end.  In my case, mine has to do with how I decided I wanted to be a lawyer, and my number one choice figured heavily in that decision (sounds cliche, I know, but it's innovative and funny, I think!).  I think you should just do whatever you have to do to let them know they're your first choice.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
Let them know they are your first choice, and be honest... don't tell that to multiple schools.

But don't say you'll go no matter what if accepted... for one, it is fluff and may seem over the top, esp. since it is likely not enforceable. But second... believe it or not, things change during the course of time an admissions cycle runs... there are an infinite number of reasons why your number one school may not end up being your number one school at the end of the cycle.

spud1987

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »
Let them know they are your first choice, and be honest... don't tell that to multiple schools.

But don't say you'll go no matter what if accepted... for one, it is fluff and may seem over the top, esp. since it is likely not enforceable. But second... believe it or not, things change during the course of time an admissions cycle runs... there are an infinite number of reasons why your number one school may not end up being your number one school at the end of the cycle.

I think that is good advise.  Even though Boalt is my number one choice, I'm not going to say I'll go no matter what.  What if I got into Stanford?  That's just one example of what could quickly change my decision. 

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:07:54 PM »
For a couple schools I will probably attach an addendum mentioning particular reasons why I want to go to that school.  I think saying that a school is your "number one choice" is a little corny though.  Also I wouldn't put it in your personal statement (unless the personal statement is specifically about why you want to go to a certain school).   

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:10:47 PM »
For a couple schools I will probably attach an addendum mentioning particular reasons why I want to go to that school.  I think saying that a school is your "number one choice" is a little corny though.

Credited.

Also I wouldn't put it in your personal statement (unless the personal statement is specifically about why you want to go to a certain school).   

FWIW, I put specific reasons I wanted to attend each school in EVERY ONE of my PS's.  I don't think it's required, but it didn't hurt.

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 10:21:05 PM »
If it really is your first choice, you should definitely let them know. In my PS I did include a "why XXX" paragraph at the end. Each school to which I applied did have something specific that attracted me.

For my first choice (UNLV) - to which I was accepted and will be attending in < 30 days, I also called and asked for an earlier notification than they normally give. It may have been risky, but I am definitely a non-trad student and it worked for me. Not only was I accepted, but I also found out about a month earlier than I otherwise would have. I do think, however, that doing so limited my chances of receiving $$$. In fact, I received $0 scholarship and some with lower numbers received at least $omething. Nevertheless, $ was not really a concern for me. That school fit best with my life, and with my future goals. In asking for this earlier decision, I called the admissions office and was transferred to the director of admissions. I told him straight out that; I would most definitely attend if I were accepted. I told him of my personal circumstances (i.e. - an upcoming job transfer to the area, family migrating to the area, my affinity for the school, etc) In short; I guess you could say that I showed him that I would be committed to the school if they would give me a chance - without coming across as being desperate. He told me to fax him an additional letter to the effect of what I had told him.

At this school, a committee does make admission decisions, but I cannot help but think that this really did help me get in. If you are interested, I have posted my PS on a couple of blogs. (See http://mrsmittie.wordpress.com/ and http://schooled.wordpress.com/1l-comparisons/ps/). You can also PM me if you want to talk.

Peace.