Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. Vandy  (Read 684 times)

Luther7

• AOL Instant Messenger - Lucifix07
    • View Profile
    • Email
GW vs. Vandy
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
I am from Georgia and did my undergrad at UNC, but honestly I am not certain on working in the South or any one particular area, so long as it is in a city and on the East Coast.  As far as type of law, I am pretty open at this point, I am most interested in Constitutional and International law.

I am mostly concerned with the type of education I will be provided, quality of life while in school, and how well that name will correlate into landing a great job afterward.

I greatly appreciate any insight you can provide into choosing between these two schools.

dunsonlight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GW vs. Vandy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »
Vanderbilt

Smaller class size ---> more, better jobs.

Mr. Burnz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:43:24 AM »
I'm not quite sure about the correlation between class size and more/better jobs--can you explain?

Anyhow, in my opinion, there's much better networking opportunities in DC than in TN.  So for schools that are roughly the same quality like Vandy and GW, I would definitely go with GW...

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »
I was down to those two schools and chose GW.  However, I've been living in DC for the past 3 years and am near certain I want to practice in either DC, Philly, or NYC.  I am much more comfortable in a "Northeast corridor" environment, so I felt I would be a little out of place at Vandy. 
If you finish top 25%-35% at either school you will have a plenty of options available to you, so if you are indifferent about where you want to practice, it's all about where you'd feel most comfortable.  Outside of OCI, it will be easier to network in DC/Philly/NY from GW because of its location and number of grads.  If you want mid-south/southeastern cities such as Memphis or Atlanta, then Vandy might be preferable.

osu2521

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:40:14 PM »
I am from Georgia and did my undergrad at UNC, but honestly I am not certain on working in the South or any one particular area, so long as it is in a city and on the East Coast.  As far as type of law, I am pretty open at this point, I am most interested in Constitutional and International law.

I am mostly concerned with the type of education I will be provided, quality of life while in school, and how well that name will correlate into landing a great job afterward.

I greatly appreciate any insight you can provide into choosing between these two schools.

I also had the GW vs. Vandy decision and went with Vandy.  I'm pretty open about where I practice and just want as many options as possible; from the research I did, it seemed to me that a Vandy degree may travel a liiiiittle farther than one from GW (but I won't agrue if someone disagrees, it's just the impression that I got).  I've lived all of my days in the Midwest and Northeast, but I loved the atmoshere down at Vandy, way more so than GW.

Bottom line, though, is that either one is a great choice (at least I hope so!).