;

Poll

MacBook or MacBook Pro?

MacBook
 17 (70.8%)
MacBook Pro
 7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Mac Users!  (Read 1310 times)

bimmer sooner

Re: Mac Users!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »

One thing: it is definitely a good idea to upgrade the RAM from the base model.

And if you do the Macbook, be sure to do the upgrade through Mac. Because of the way it's configured (2 256MB RAM sticks in a total of 2 available slots), you couldn't just slap in a 512 upgrade and be set, you'd have to first rip out the existing sticks and replace them with two new 512 sticks, which would cost you twice as much as it would to simply upgrade through Mac themselves.

Well, I'd much rather buy a 1GB stick and put it in myself. I think the apple upgrade cost is $90 (1GB total) and I've seen some sites with two 1GB sticks for 150-160 shipped. Even if you get just one stick and run an asymmetric 1.25 GB, that's much better for the future when you can add the extra stick to get to 2GB instead of throwing out both 512 sticks to do that.

I just got a 2.0 MBP off of ebay. It's coming in tomorrow. The extra screen space for .4 more lbs was too much to pass up. Also, I can't stand glossy screens. Think about the amount of time we're going to spend staring at these things! If apple made an ultraportable with matte available, it might have been tempting, but I'm happy with my decision.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »
I know the glossy/matte thing is a big deal for some: I'll just say, I love the glossy screen. It is fantastically bright and crisp, and I have not had any glare problem except outside (which is easily taken care of by tilting the screen a bit.)

Then again, it's my first notebook, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. But compared to my desktop screens, the macbook screen is incredible.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

klasyk gyrl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Chapter 6 of the LRB f'd me up!
    • MSN Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - klasykgyrl
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »
i bought an ibook, because the macbooks didn't come out yet. at first i was super pissed, but then my computer geeker friends told me there are a bunch of glitches in the macbooks and that there are a lot of programs not compatible with it yet. i don't know what the specifics are, i just took their word for it. i also have to use a pc for the exams. it's not anything crazier that the pc laptop i have, it just looks cooler and i do like the feel of it. in terms of the parents diggin' the idea, well, my mom used it for a bit the other day and absolutely hated it. you also have to buy mac office.
I've finally found someone I can love - a good, clean love... without utensils.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 06:07:11 PM »
I went with the Macbook + 2GB RAM. I also got an NC4010 off of http://www.retrobox.com for $290, which was pretty sweet. Value-wise, the NC4010 slays the Macbook in every way, but I am still happy with my Macbook decision. It is an excellent machine.

Here are some other factors about the Macbook vs. the Macbook Pro:
Keyboard - the Macbook's keyboard is very different from the Macbook Pro. Personally, I like it better. However, some people on the 'net can't stand it. I would definitely check this out before you buy, because it can make a huge difference.

Weight - the weight of the Macbook is terrible compared to the Macbook Pro, and especially to other notebooks in its class. The Macbook Pro has a 2" larger screen, but only weighs .4lb more. My HP NC4010 has a 12" screen, 1" less than the Macbook, but weighs only 2.5lbs - 1.7lbs less than the Macbook! The difference is very, very noticeable, and not in a good way.

Speed - The graphics is the only real difference in speed. However, there are few reasons you would need the type of graphics card in the Macbook Pro. The main ones would be a) gaming b) 3D design or c) heavy Aperture (photo editing) work, all of which are unlikely for a prospective law student. Things like Google Earth and Google Sketchup will run fine on the Macbook's integrated graphics. They are DirectX 9 compatible, so Windows Vista will work as well.
165 / 3.94

orb99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 01:32:11 AM »
Hey! Does anyone know what the battery life is for MacBooks and MacBook Pros? I heard it's not that great, but, what exactly are we talking about here? Has anyone had any trouble with it? Thanks! :)

firant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 12:04:09 PM »
Cool, thanks. All really helpful advice... I will have to get to an apple store at some point and check them both out. I'm also trying to convince my parents that a Mac is superior to a PC for taking notes, making diagrams, etc for law school, but they are both die hard PC people and so far I'm having a hard time explaining it to them. I'd be using a PC for exams, but I feel that in every other aspect a Mac would be better than a PC. Can anyone think of anything concrete I could tell them?

I dropped my IBook off my upper bunk at school onto a stone floor, and it didn't break. There's small dent in the corner where it landed, but those things are TOUGH. (if you're hauling it back and force to school and perhaps occasionally dropping it.

Does that count as a concrete reason?
GPA: 2.8.. LSAT: 173
Enrolled: University of Notre Dame

(GPA at graduation was 3.3)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 03:33:17 PM »
Cool, thanks. All really helpful advice... I will have to get to an apple store at some point and check them both out. I'm also trying to convince my parents that a Mac is superior to a PC for taking notes, making diagrams, etc for law school, but they are both die hard PC people and so far I'm having a hard time explaining it to them. I'd be using a PC for exams, but I feel that in every other aspect a Mac would be better than a PC. Can anyone think of anything concrete I could tell them?

My parents were the same way... but luckily for me, I'm working right now so it was my money.  ;)  Nonetheless, I still wanted them to agree with my decision, so I did a few things:

1.  Went to PC websites and "built my own" with the specs of a Macbook... you end up spending the same, or more, for the PC.

2.  Made sure my parents knew my school approved the Intel Macbooks for exams (if yours hasn't, yet, start emailing IT)

3.  Played up the free iPod and printer... this was especially effective because I offered my parents my old iPod.  ;)
I am officially a law school graduate : )