Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 255840 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #5560 on: August 22, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
If you want to reward healthy behavior, reward healthy behavior, not outcomes.

Yes, I agree with that, which is why I said I didn't like the BMI part.  Your hypothetical 110-lbs woman should have to pay more, if her habits translate into bad health (see the recent NYT article on skinny fat people).

But the article says that people must show "progress" to avoid the charges.  This is rewarding outcomes, not behavior.  Moreover, normal and underweight employees don't have to do anything healthy to avoid the surcharge. 

If the screenings turn up serious problems with blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose or obesity, employees will have a year to see a doctor at no cost, enroll in a wellness program, or take steps on their own to improve their health. If they show progress in a follow-up screening, they won't be charged. But if they don't, they must pay starting in January 2011.

The board will apply the obesity charge to anyone with a body mass index of 35 or higher who is not making progress. A person 5 feet 6 inches tall weighing 220 pounds, for example, would have a BMI of 35.5. A BMI of 30 is considered the threshold for obesity.

The board has not yet determined how much progress a person would have to show and is uncertain how many people might be affected because everyone could avoid the charge by working to lose weight.

And if the health insurance company is really interested in getting people fit and healthy, why doesn't it cover nutritionists, trainers, and other wellness programs?

The program will provide these services: "William Ashmore, executive director of the State Employees' Insurance Board, said the state will spend an extra $1.6 million next year on screenings and wellness programs..."  Moreover, as long as you are working toward the goal, you don't pay.

I read that, but I also have never had a health insurance plan that covers these things adequately.  If you really have health problems and have never tried healthy eating or an exercise program, working with a qualified professionals (not middle school health and gym teachers) is going to be expensive. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: August 22, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
I guess.  I wonder how the other states that have adopted such measures have done.

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: August 24, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
I thought the point was that no other states had tried this particular model?  The penalizing system as opposed to the (implemented elsewhere) incentivizing system?

elucidate.  I don't really like the BMI part, since it's not an accurate indicator of health, but if a person is really unhealthy, why shouldn't he pay more?

Miss P hit most of it.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: August 24, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
Ah, so it appears.  I misread.  Alabama, ever the trailblazing state ;)

truetold1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5564 on: September 07, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
To Adam LipTak

Re: 1999 Nalls Family Murders,in Birmingham, Alabama.  I am a family member and I know for sure that my father and sister were killed by Satin and his helper. If you only knew all the things that they did that night to my family. Your life would never be the same.  So what I am saying  to you it should never ever be a question in your mind to free satin.  Prior to the murders.  I remember seeing Ashley and she had no vision in her eyes.  I call it no soul, but I did not realize it untill after the murders had occured.  By then it was too late.  Ashley and Germine not only took the lives of my two family members and almost took two other members,she also took my life and it is a struggle for me each and everyday to survive.    Please don't be fooled by this under age stuff, or kids to young to be responsible. You know - when you give your soul over to satin. "There is more to the story, but Its late and I need to sleep so have got to go.

Sincerly
Daughters4truth

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »

What the...?
And who is Satin? He sounds soft.

Silky, practically.

I think it is a response to this article about juvenile life without parole, which Alci posted in this thread last fall.  I would almost believe that the poster is related to the case (perhaps even Ashley Jones' allegedly drug-addicted mother) except that she spelled one of the two murderers' names completely wrong (and not phonetically). 

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: September 07, 2008, 12:00:16 PM »
You're amazing.  You LSD memory is epic, truly a sight to behold.
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

She also remembers obscure cases in just about every area of the law. Amazing really.
YLS c/o 2009

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: September 07, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »

Nah. :D  I appreciate the kudos, but I knew something about that tragic case from my old job, so the name -- and addressing the note to Liptak -- rang serious bells.

ETA: And I had to google!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: September 07, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »

She also remembers obscure cases in just about every area of the law. Amazing really.

This is definitely not true.  I barely remember the cases I read this morning!  (I do know a lot of criminal, criminal procedure, and fed courts cases, but otherwise, definitely not.)