Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 250555 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #5160 on: May 07, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »
lmao so true:

#98 The Ivy League

The Ivy League is expensive, exclusive, located in the North East, and features beautiful old buildings. All of these things are beloved by white people so logically it would seem that they all love the Ivy League. But this is not true!

White people have a tortured relationship with the Ivy Leagues, and if you broach the subject in the wrong way you can offend and even anger a white person.

But before getting into the more nuanced aspects of the subject, it’s important to know that all white people believe they have the intelligence and work ethic required to attend an Ivy League school. The only reason they did not actually go to one is that they chose not to participate in the “dog and pony show” required to gain acceptance. White people also like to believe that they were not born into a privileged (enough) family to get legacy admission. This should always be at the back of your mind as you talk to a white person about the Ivy League.

Once you have determined that a white person did not attend an Ivy League School, you should try to give them the opportunity to explain why their school was actually a superior educational experience. Some easy ways to do this are to mention grade inflation, professors who value research over teaching, or high tuition costs. Any one of these will set a white person off on a multi-minute rant.

When they have finally run out of arguments about why they chose the right school, you should say “I knew a whole bunch of people who went to Harvard and none of them work as hard or are as smart as you.” This is a very effective technique for gaining acceptance since white people need constant reassurance that they are smart and that they made the right choice with their life.

If you actually went to an Ivy League school, you will been seen as a threat so prepare for a lot of questions from white people. They will constantly ask questions about how much work you had, the type of students at the school, the professors, your dorm room, your reading lists, and they will try so hard to figure out your SAT score. They desperately need a source of comparison so that they need to figure out if you are actually smarter than them. In fact, the only way to stop this line of questioning is to imply that you only got in because of your minority status. Once you say that, white people will stop feeling threatened since they can now believe they too would have been accepted to an Ivy League school if they were a minority. It also gives them a personal story about the effectiveness of Affirmative Action.

White people also like to call their school “The Harvard of the <insert region or conference>”. Do not challenge this, it will ruin their confidence.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/98-the-ivy-league/

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: May 07, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
 :D nice.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
lmao so true:

#98 The Ivy League

The Ivy League is expensive, exclusive, located in the North East, and features beautiful old buildings. All of these things are beloved by white people so logically it would seem that they all love the Ivy League. But this is not true!

White people have a tortured relationship with the Ivy Leagues, and if you broach the subject in the wrong way you can offend and even anger a white person.

But before getting into the more nuanced aspects of the subject, it’s important to know that all white people believe they have the intelligence and work ethic required to attend an Ivy League school. The only reason they did not actually go to one is that they chose not to participate in the “dog and pony show” required to gain acceptance. White people also like to believe that they were not born into a privileged (enough) family to get legacy admission. This should always be at the back of your mind as you talk to a white person about the Ivy League.

Once you have determined that a white person did not attend an Ivy League School, you should try to give them the opportunity to explain why their school was actually a superior educational experience. Some easy ways to do this are to mention grade inflation, professors who value research over teaching, or high tuition costs. Any one of these will set a white person off on a multi-minute rant.

When they have finally run out of arguments about why they chose the right school, you should say “I knew a whole bunch of people who went to Harvard and none of them work as hard or are as smart as you.” This is a very effective technique for gaining acceptance since white people need constant reassurance that they are smart and that they made the right choice with their life.

If you actually went to an Ivy League school, you will been seen as a threat so prepare for a lot of questions from white people. They will constantly ask questions about how much work you had, the type of students at the school, the professors, your dorm room, your reading lists, and they will try so hard to figure out your SAT score. They desperately need a source of comparison so that they need to figure out if you are actually smarter than them. In fact, the only way to stop this line of questioning is to imply that you only got in because of your minority status. Once you say that, white people will stop feeling threatened since they can now believe they too would have been accepted to an Ivy League school if they were a minority. It also gives them a personal story about the effectiveness of Affirmative Action.

White people also like to call their school “The Harvard of the <insert region or conference>”. Do not challenge this, it will ruin their confidence.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/98-the-ivy-league/

dead...but no lie i hate all of that Harvard of the *insert location here* or public ivy or little ivy.  just be happy with where you are and stop trying to sound *better* by saying you went to a rising ivy or whatever when you didn't.
Columbia 3L

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: May 07, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »
If I went to Howard, I'd call Harvard the white Howard.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
harvard isn't blessed enough to have that honor :P... *typed as i prepare to walk out of my last D1 harvard class with my HOWard tshirt on.. ;D

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: May 07, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j7NqQtshf_bYQ7SFLJdJV4yjg1rwD90GFQMO5

I was accepted there as was one semester away from going but decided to go to my current UG because they let me start in the spring instead of waiting till the next fall like SDSU. I knew I should have went to SDSU now

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: May 07, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
harvard isn't blessed enough to have that honor :P... *typed as i prepare to walk out of my last D1 harvard class with my HOWard tshirt on.. ;D

:D

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: May 08, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »
My Motive For Wright Breakfast
by Rev. Barbara Reynolds
NNPA Religion Columnist
Originally posted 5/7/2008

As a member of the speakers’ committee of the National Press Club, upon the invitation of the Club President Sylvia Smith, I helped organize the press breakfast that featured Pastor Jeremiah Wright. Since my role - and my motive - have been questioned by some commentators, bloggers, columnists and journalists, I feel I owe my readers an honest answer.

I began suggesting Pastor Jeremiah Wright as a speaker about three years ago when I met him at the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference that was convening in Washington, DC. At that conference, Sen. Barack Obama was the morning keynote speaker and I was the afternoon keynote speaker. After seeing that Wright and Obama had such powerful, but distinct social justice messages to lift people up, I wondered why the public had not heard more from this Conference of which Wright was the founder.

As a minister, I served as a commissioner on the Conference's Truth and Justice Hearings on Katrina. Sen. Hillary Clinton testified at the hearings and attacked the Bush administration for its negligence and Sen. Obama also addressed the group in Washington and encouraged its mission. I saw the Conference message as a part of the legacy of the Black Church that was either being drowned out by the conservative evangelicals or the prosperity preachers.

For two years Wright and the Conference took their message to Washington and the National Press Club. Many eloquent and renown theologians - including Pastors Wright, James Forbes, Freddie Haynes, Cynthia Hale and others spoke. Unfortunately only one reporter, Hamil Harris of the Washington Post reported it, but there was little other coverage.

Ironically I remember praying that somehow this group directed by Rev. Dr. Iva Carruthers and composed of some of the most dedicated and progressive preachers and theologians in the country would gain more public exposure.

I soon found there is much truth to the old saying, “Be careful what you pray for because God may not come the way you want Him but when He comes He is right on time.” So when the recent controversy around Wright erupted, Sylvia Smith, the president of the press club, asked if I could get Wright as a speaker, the man I had been suggesting even before she became president. I was delighted because the Samuel Proctor Conference was again coming to Washington for its legislative conference and Wright could now bring the social justice message with its promise of equality and inclusion to an international level.

That was my only motivation.

I have been attacked for my role in all this. What is fueling it is because I stated publicly that I voted for Sen. Clinton in the primary as my way of thanking her for how she stood up for the poor when she had a chance. Few have written that I also publicly criticized the Senator for not firing Geraldine Ferraro when she insinuated that Senator Obama was an “affirmative action” presidential candidate. Few have written that in lectures and sermons I have spoken highly of Senator Obama and how his message of hope offers a great opportunity to bring a divided nation together.

I believe in the First Amendment. I believe that people of different views should have a voice as citizens. I believe that pastors, preachers and prophets should NOT go to the rulers and politicians and ask permission from them to speak truth to power or to speak the Word that God places in their heart. If they did that, most of the churches, synagogues and mosques in America would shut down.

As an editorial board member at USA TODAY for 13 years, I helped develop the Opinion Page. I was a door opener to let people in, not a doorkeeper to shut people out. I fought hard to bring upon those pages the views of the marginalized, left out, overlooked and invisible into the mix with the rich, powerful and the establishment figures.

In addition, I constantly fought for the media to hire more Blacks as columnists, editors and to also hire more religion writers. I dare say if there were writers and journalists armed with the knowledge of how the Black church has provided leadership to this nation-- not by shutting up, but by challenging, rebuking and reconciling-- people of faith would see the mainstream media in a more positive light. Ironically, some of the same Black journalists who are criticizing me now as I continue to fight for inclusion and diversity, are there as a result of myself and others fighting the corporate media to hire them.

Shortly before the press club breakfast, I helped organized a press luncheon for Secretary Jackson of HUD and worked very hard to make it a sold out event, as was the Wright event. I am not a Republican.

Two weeks before the Wright event I helped organized a press luncheon for LaRaza, a Hispanic organization. I am not Hispanic. But nevertheless I read that I am part of some nefarious plot against Obama. Ironically, as I preached and made speeches about the prophetic vision of Obama that will have a longer positive effect on politics in America than these silly arguments, I was accused by some of being an Obama surrogate.

I am neither an Obama surrogate nor a Clinton surrogate. If either one becomes President-- or neither, I will still be challenging the next President to lift up the poor and the powerless as I have challenged presidents for the last four decades.

One thing I learned from Dr. Betty Shabazz, the wife of the late Malcolm X, is to “find the good and praise it.” I think this country would be better served if either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama became president instead of John McCain. And I think this country is better served by an ex-Marine like Pastor Jeremiah Wright standing up for his beliefs and like the Jeremiah in the Bible, standing up for his country in pointing out the nation's past sins and pleading for change and reconciliation, which is the message I heard at the National Press Club.

In his powerful speech before the NAACP on the previous evening, he made the case that we are a nation of differences and different does not mean deficient. Why can’t we accept the different message, style of Wright? Meanwhile, Pastor Wright and his family are receiving death threats and his church bomb threats. This is very sad. I do not believe that tearing down and hating on either Barack or Clinton or Wright is honorable. If this level of hate continues, it will only spell disaster for our nation.

At this writing, Sen. Obama appears favored to be the nominee. If he prevails, I will most certainly support him and vote for him in the general election. Then I will have voted-in the primary and in the general election - for two of the most phenomenal politicians this country has produced. And at the same time, I am proud to stand beside Pastor Jeremiah Wright, one of the most brilliant and courageous preachers I have ever known.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: May 09, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
My word, another one:

Happy Mother's Day: Woman pregnant with 18th child

By JILL ZEMAN, Associated Press Writer 8 minutes ago

It's a happy Mother's Day for an Arkansas woman — she's pregnant with her 18th child.

Michelle Duggar, 41, is due on New Year's Day, and the latest addition will join seven sisters and 10 brothers. There are two sets of twins.

"We've had three in January, three in December. Those two months are a busy time for us," she said, laughing.

The Duggars' oldest child, Josh, is 20, and the youngest, Jennifer, is nine months old.

The fast-growing family lives in Tontitown in northwest Arkansas in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

Duggar has been been pregnant for more than 11 years of her life, and the family is in the process of filming another series for Discovery Health.

The new show looks at life inside the Duggar home, where chores — or "jurisdictions" — are assigned to each child. One episode of the new show involves a "jurisdiction swap," where the boys do chores traditionally assigned to the girls, and vice versa, Duggar said.

"The girls swapped jurisdictions, changing tires, working in the garages, mowing the grass," she said. "The boys got to cook supper from start to finish, clean the bathrooms," among other chores.

Duggar said she's six weeks along and the pregnancy is going well. She and her husband, Jim Bob Duggar, said they'll keep having children as long as God wills it.

"The success in a family is first off, a love for God, and secondly, treating each other like you want to be treated," Jim Bob Duggar said. "Our goal is for each one of our children to be best friends, and everybody working together to serve each other makes that happen."

The other Duggar children, in between Joshua and Jennifer, are Jana, 18; John-David, 18; Jill, 16; Jessa, 15; Jinger, 14; Joseph, 13; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 10; Jeremiah, 9; Jedidiah, 9; Jason, 7; James, 6; Justin, 5; Jackson, 3; and Johannah, 2.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »
I believe we discussed this the last time they came up, but aren't there enough J names that they didn't have to go to "Jinger" within the first half-dozen?  Also, Jana, Joy-Anna, and Johannah?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.