Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 242805 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #5060 on: April 27, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »
Hey, it's our fault for leaving huge amounts of governing power in the hands of anal old people.

My grandpa would probably pass the same bill.  I mean, I love the guy, but he just thinks ornamental testicles (and videogames and club dancing) are obscene.  And if he had some sort of governing power and ten of his like-minded old friends that he represented agreed, he would suggest the same measure.

Because god knows we wouldn't want people seeing balls all the time.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »
In case you missed the Wright interview http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04252008/watch.html

Hm I definitely have a more favorable opinion of him after watching this.

Agreed but I still think he needs to STFU and let the "controversy" die. 

Well, if the media portrayed you as a racist, anti-american bigot and you were getting death threats, I bet you'd want to clear the air, too.

Not at the expense of a black man that has a good chance at the White House that could actually bring some much needed positive change in this country.  Particularly a person with whom he had such a close relationship with. A man of God really shouldn't be that vain. The people who got the real message behind what he said got it and the people that took what he said out of context will stay ignorant regardless of what he says now. He needs to STFU for now not forever. Give Obama a chance to breathe before Clinton's people create yet another manufactured distraction disguised as a "controversy".

This just gives the media and HRC license to bring it up all over again and show that clip ad nauseum. 

This is a good thing. The question of Wright's supposed anti-americanism needed to be answered, not when the mainstreme was still screaming about it, but afther they had STFU. It is good that it happened now and not in the general, because let's face it, Obama will be the Democratic nominee and it gives voters enough time to digest the reality. The only mistake Wright made was going on mainstreme media in the first place. Stick to public radio and televison. I so understand why all the members of the SCOTUS reject cameras in the courtroom. The audio is available to the public and without edit or editorial.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: April 28, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »
In case you missed the Wright interview http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04252008/watch.html

Well, if the media portrayed you as a racist, anti-american bigot and you were getting death threats, I bet you'd want to clear the air, too.

Not at the expense of a black man that has a good chance at the White House that could actually bring some much needed positive change in this country.  Particularly a person with whom he had such a close relationship with. A man of God really shouldn't be that vain. The people who got the real message behind what he said got it and the people that took what he said out of context will stay ignorant regardless of what he says now. He needs to STFU for now not forever. Give Obama a chance to breathe before Clinton's people create yet another manufactured distraction disguised as a "controversy".

This just gives the media and HRC license to bring it up all over again and show that clip ad nauseum. 

The only mistake Wright made was going on mainstreme media in the first place. Stick to public radio and televison. I so understand why all the members of the SCOTUS reject cameras in the courtroom. The audio is available to the public and without edit or editorial.

I agree with you there but that's not the ONLY mistake Wright has made.  I agree with a lot of what he says and I listened to what he had to say last night.  He's intelligent but I  do not understand why he had to speak with Moyers AND to the NAACP AND to the Press Club?!?!?!  It's basically the same speech. 

Why does he call the attacks on him as an attack on the black church?  Sorry I am sometimes prone to accepting conspiracy theories as truth but I think this one takes it too far.  The media attacked him not the entire black church. 

And why did he mention his book in his NAACP speech?  And he lost me with that Irish comment last night.  So rather than supporting Obama by letting this die a little before he speaks out he rather promote his book?   

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »
It is indeed an attack on the black church. The sermon Wright preached, I've heard in countless other black churches. From Richard Allen to MLK to Jeremiah Wright, that has been the tradition of the black church to speak from the point of view of the oppressed and that is what the MSM criticized.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: April 28, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
he spoke with Moyers because Moyers is also a member of the United Church of Christ..asked for an interview and he knew that the interview wouldn't be tainted..he wouldn't be talked over and he'd be given a fair opportunity to really address the soundbites...unlike Hannity for example

as for NAACP.. why not speak? this time last yr you had no clue who Wright was..he speaks yearly @ various churches and events..he preaches @ Howard and other universities every yr.. so you're suggesting that he stops his ministry simply because Obama is running for President? people that don't vote for Obama under the moniker of Wright weren't going to vote for him anyway.. and that's real... but Wright shouldn't simply "sit down somewhere" because a member is running for office... that's silly...

the "controversy" won't die if the media continues to do what they do.. sneak into funerals..call members on sick and shut in lists.. send bomb threats to the church..threaten the life of Wright his family as well as Moss and his family.. i mean really cui.. what is he supposed to do? be a good little #%@! and take the *&^%?

there is a bit of an attack on the traditions of the black church in some of this.. conspiracy theories aside.. i've heard Hannity, Oreilly, Joe and a bunch of other white folk on there try to play into his intonations at certain parts of the sermons..talking about how he gets irate.. loud.. etc as if it is threatening and plays into the stereotypes of blk men being a threat.. totally negating the fact that it is a trend for blk pastors to have their voices raise and command attention at certain points

and then they act as if Wright had a 'media makeover' because he wasn't using the same intonations in his interviews... foolishness

Not at the expense of a black man that has a good chance at the White House that could actually bring some much needed positive change in this country.  Particularly a person with whom he had such a close relationship with. A man of God really shouldn't be that vain. The people who got the real message behind what he said got it and the people that took what he said out of context will stay ignorant regardless of what he says now. He needs to STFU for now not forever. Give Obama a chance to breathe before Clinton's people create yet another manufactured distraction disguised as a "controversy".

The only mistake Wright made was going on mainstreme media in the first place. Stick to public radio and televison. I so understand why all the members of the SCOTUS reject cameras in the courtroom. The audio is available to the public and without edit or editorial.

I agree with you there but that's not the ONLY mistake Wright has made.  I agree with a lot of what he says and I listened to what he had to say last night.  He's intelligent but I  do not understand why he had to speak with Moyers AND to the NAACP AND to the Press Club?!?!?!  It's basically the same speech. 

Why does he call the attacks on him as an attack on the black church?  Sorry I am sometimes prone to accepting conspiracy theories as truth but I think this one takes it too far.  The media attacked him not the entire black church. 

And why did he mention his book in his NAACP speech?  And he lost me with that Irish comment last night.  So rather than supporting Obama by letting this die a little before he speaks out he rather promote his book?   

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: April 28, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/NEWS06/804280436

The simple message that being different doesn't mean a person is deficient was delivered with passion, anger, even humor Sunday night by the Rev. Jeremiah Wright as the controversial Chicago minister captivated a sell-out crowd at the NAACP's Freedom Fund dinner.

Through language, music and the ways people learn, Wright showed that African Americans and European Americans are merely different from each other, not inferior or superior in any way.

"In the past, we were taught to see others who are different as deficient, and that anybody not like us was abnormal," said Wright, former pastor of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. "But a change is coming because we no longer see others who are different as deficient; we just see them as different."

The theme, repeated throughout a 40-minute speech, was especially powerful coming from Wright, who has been targeted in recent weeks as an anti-American, anti-white preacher because of snippets from sermons he has given over the years that have been played and replayed on network news shows.

The furor caused Obama to give a speech on race, in which he disavowed some of Wright's remarks, but not the man.

But Wright took a shot at the news media and Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson for demonizing him over the controversial passages.

"The NAACP has been built on a primary premise: that all men and women are created equal. The nation's oldest civil rights organization has changed America's history despite violence, intimidation and hostile government policies.

"Somebody please tell the Oakland County executive that the sentence starting with the words 'despite violence,' is a direct quote from the NAACP. Otherwise, he will attribute the quote to me and continue to say that I'm one of the most divisive people he's ever heard speak, when he's never heard me speak," Wright said.

"I know some say that just my appearance in Detroit will be polarizing. But I'm not here for political reasons. I'm not a politician. Many in the corporate-owned media have made it seem that I'm running for the Oval Office. I've been running for Jesus for a long, long time, and I'm not tired yet," he added.

"I'm sorry your local political analysts are saying I'm polarizing and my sermons are divisive. I'm not here to address an analyst's opinion. I stand here as one representative of the African-American church tradition, believing that a change is going to come."
Exploring the differences

The rest of the address was geared toward understanding and accepting differences, which are as much about culture as they are about skin color.

Black children are told they don't speak English well, when people from Boston or Texas, like the Kennedys or former president Lyndon Johnson, aren't ridiculed for their accents, he said.

"After Kennedy got killed, Johnson got up to the podium and said, 'My fellow Americans,' " Wright said, imitating Johnson's Texas drawl. "Well how do you spell 'fello.' How do you spell ''Mericans.' Nobody said to Johnson, 'You speak bad English.' "

Bands from the University of Michigan or Michigan State University aren't criticized because they use classical marching band precision while African-American bands from Florida A&M or Grambling State universities strut and dance onto the football field, Wright said while demonstrating the rhythm that have made those bands famous.

"We just do it different, and some of our haters just can't get their heads around that," he said.

The speech was distinctly nonpolitical, although Wright made a passing reference to Obama, saying, "If I was pushing a candidate, I would say, 'Yes we can,' " which is one of Obama's main campaign slogans.

But the Rev. Wendell Anthony, the president of the Detroit chapter of the NAACP, said the main reason the organization invited Wright to speak at the dinner was to defend the traditional role of the African-American church, not because there was a heated race for president between Obama and Sens. Hillary Clinton and John McCain.

"It's bigger than all three of them. This is about the African-American church. This is about our church. This is about our people. This is about our right to speak truth to power. It is not a white thing, nor is it a black thing. It is the right thing we're doing here tonight," Anthony said.

"We've had a history of inviting the most profound, prolific leaders of our nation," Anthony said during a news conference before the dinner. "We look for the best, and the hottest brother in America right now -- other than Barack Obama -- is Jeremiah Wright."
Tool for understanding?

The crowd responded to Wright with shouts of acceptance and understanding and standing ovations.

"I love the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright. I've been listening to him for many years," said Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, explaining that one of his fraternity brothers at Florida A&M University was a member of Wright's church and shared tapes of his sermons. "He's a prolific prince of prose."

State Rep. George Cushingberry, D-Detroit, said the speech was fabulous, and, he hoped, a tool for understanding between races.

"Maybe people will question the lies that they're told," he said
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: April 28, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »
and another thing (i don't feel like going back to edit lol) he didn't speak at the NAACP event to speak about himself..the message was about acceptance and change.. two- five comments out of what was probably an hour long speech addressing divisiveness or media bs really isn't a big deal

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5067 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
Come on November.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: April 28, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
It is good that it happened now and not in the general, because let's face it, Obama will be the Democratic nominee and it gives voters enough time to digest the reality. The only mistake Wright made was going on mainstreme media in the first place. Stick to public radio and televison.

titcr

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: April 28, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »
It is indeed an attack on the black church. The sermon Wright preached, I've heard in countless other black churches. From Richard Allen to MLK to Jeremiah Wright, that has been the tradition of the black church to speak from the point of view of the oppressed and that is what the MSM criticized.

See this is the weird part.  I agree with a lot that Wright says.  And I agree that the media lacks an understanding of the black church.  However, Wright is polarizing.  He turned me off and I agreed with what he was saying!  It was just his flippant and somewhat arrogant way he went about saying what he was saying.  He made good points and he is obviously very well educated and very well versed in theology. 

he spoke with Moyers because Moyers is also a member of the United Church of Christ..asked for an interview and he knew that the interview wouldn't be tainted..he wouldn't be talked over and he'd be given a fair opportunity to really address the soundbites...unlike Hannity for example

as for NAACP.. why not speak? this time last yr you had no clue who Wright was..he speaks yearly @ various churches and events..he preaches @ Howard and other universities every yr.. so you're suggesting that he stops his ministry simply because Obama is running for President? people that don't vote for Obama under the moniker of Wright weren't going to vote for him anyway.. and that's real... but Wright shouldn't simply "sit down somewhere" because a member is running for office... that's silly...

the "controversy" won't die if the media continues to do what they do.. sneak into funerals..call members on sick and shut in lists.. send bomb threats to the church..threaten the life of Wright his family as well as Moss and his family.. i mean really cui.. what is he supposed to do? be a good little #%@! and take the poo?

there is a bit of an attack on the traditions of the black church in some of this.. conspiracy theories aside.. i've heard Hannity, Oreilly, Joe and a bunch of other white folk on there try to play into his intonations at certain parts of the sermons..talking about how he gets irate.. loud.. etc as if it is threatening and plays into the stereotypes of blk men being a threat.. totally negating the fact that it is a trend for blk pastors to have their voices raise and command attention at certain points

and then they act as if Wright had a 'media makeover' because he wasn't using the same intonations in his interviews... foolishness

LOL, yep I want him to take the poo! :D  Why now?!  Why when we have a black man running for prez that actually has a shot?  We tear each other down for our own benefit when it's actually for our detriment

The media "picks on" Wright because -I'm sorry- his speeches kinda lend themselves to being sound bites.  I am quite annoyed when religious or other leaders feel the need to come up with quick witty one-liners to grab the audience's attention.  I'm an educated woman that cares about the community-I take that as an insult to my intelligence. Just freakin' talk to me about whatever's going on.  I can get it without the cute little sayings. And guess what...that's what the media grabs a hold onto and plays in a loop .  So while I agree with a lot of Wright's comments and thought some his insights were clever and on point, he can't play to the media and then complain about the coverage!  He may have thought his little mutterings under his breath (but loud enough for everyone to hear) into the microphone last night were cute but I thought they were a direct affront to the rest of it.  The Irish/O'Reilly stuff...sorry not cute..particularly when your message is saying to reconcile and folks are different but not deficient. 

But all that aside, I'm still wondering WHY NOW?  It would've made more sense if he came out a few weeks ago (and before you even say it, that would've pissed me off too but it would've meade more logical sense) or well after Obama wins this thing.  But he came out with this now to make it all about him and I think it's disgusting.  I'm not saying he should just abandon his ministry but come on, THIS is not a part of his ministry.  This was polarizing.  This was flippant.  This was arrogant.  And this was all about him. Why do I think that?  Hmm...maybe partially because HE PLUGGED HIS BOOK        
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King