Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 248594 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #590 on: May 13, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
And something is definitely f*cking wrong when you are making that much loot and living check to check.

Amen.

Didn't the article mention something about places that were close to the train station being good?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 13, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »
Yeah I think it was talking about the Iron Bound section, which is the Portuguese section of town.  Its cool over there. That could be a possibility I suppose.

I guess for me, during that first year, I want to be able to walk downstairs and either walk over to my job within a matter of minutes or, at the most, hop on ONE subway and be where I gotta be in less than 20 minutes.

EDIT: where you trying to end up after all this anyway?  Back down south?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 13, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
Kinda.  DC for the foreseeable future.  Maybe ATL at some point.

I agree with you on living within walking distance/short subway ride to the job for the first couple of years.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
And I thought Churches Chicken was the culprit....
« Reply #593 on: May 16, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
 ...turns out, it's oppression. :D

Unfair Treatment Can Harm the Heart
Tue May 15, 11:46 PM ET

TUESDAY, May 15 (HealthDay News) -- A nagging sense of being unfairly treated at work or at home can raise a person's risk of heart attack, British researchers report.

Researchers at University College London analyzed responses from a few thousand senior civil servants working for the British government in London. On a scale of 1 to 6 (1 equals "strongly disagree" and 6 equals "strongly agree"), the workers were asked to rate their response to the statement: "I often have the feeling that I am being treated unfairly."

Scores of 1 or 2 were rated as low, scores of 3 or 4 were moderate, and those of 5 or 6 were high.

The workers were tracked for an average of 11 years. During that time, 64 of the 966 people in the low category had either a heart attack or experienced angina, compared with 98 of 1,368 in the moderate category and 51 of 567 in the high category.

People with the strongest feelings of being treated unfairly were 55 percent more likely than those in the moderate category and twice as likely as those in the low category to have serious heart disease, the study found.

Women and people with lower incomes and status were much more likely than others to feel they were being treated unfairly, the researchers added. Feelings of unfair treatment were also associated with higher levels of poor physical and mental health.

Fairness is an important factor in promoting a healthier society, the U.K. team concluded. They published their findings in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

More information

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration offers advice on how to keep your heart healthy.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:27 PM »
Push to achieve tied to suicide in Asian-American women
Story Highlights
• Suicide second-leading cause of death for Asian-American women 15-24
• Highest suicide rate among women of any race, ethnicity for that age group
• Experts cite "model minority" expectations, family pressures as factors
By Elizabeth Cohen
CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- One evening in 1990, Eliza Noh hung up the phone with her sister. Disturbed about the conversation, Noh immediately started writing a letter to her sister, a college student who was often depressed. "I told her I supported her, and I encouraged her," Noh says.

But her sister never read the letter. By the time it arrived, she'd killed herself.

Moved by that tragedy, Noh has spent much of her professional life studying depression and suicide among Asian-American women. An assistant professor of Asian-American studies at California State University at Fullerton, Noh has read the sobering statistics from the Department of Health and Human Services: Asian-American women ages 15-24 have the highest suicide rate of women in any race or ethnic group in that age group. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Asian-American women in that age range. (Watch more about Asian-Americans' feelings of pressure to hide depressionVideo)

Depression starts even younger than age 15. Noh says one study has shown that as young as the fifth grade, Asian-American girls have the highest rate of depression so severe they've contemplated suicide.

As Noh and others have searched for the reasons, a complex answer has emerged.

First and foremost, they say "model minority" pressure -- the pressure some Asian-American families put on children to be high achievers at school and professionally -- helps explain the problem.

"In my study, the model minority pressure is a huge factor," says Noh, who studied 41 Asian-American women who'd attempted or contemplated suicide. "Sometimes it's very overt -- parents say, 'You must choose this major or this type of job' or 'You should not bring home As and Bs, only As," she says. "And girls have to be the perfect mother and daughter and wife as well."

Family pressure often affects girls more than boys, according to Dr. Dung Ngo, a psychologist at Baylor University in Texas. "When I go talk to high school students and ask them if they experience pressure, the majority who raised their hands were the girls," he said.

Asian-American parents, he says, are stricter with girls than with boys. "The cultural expectations are that Asian women don't have that kind of freedom to hang out, to go out with friends, to do the kinds of things most teenagers growing up want to do."

And in Asian cultures, he added, you don't question parents. "The line of communication in Asian culture one way. It's communicated from the parents downward," he says. "If you can't express your anger, it turns to helplessness. It turns inward into depression for girls. For boys it's more likely to turn outwards into rebellious behavior and behavioral problems like drinking and fighting."

But Noh says pressure from within the family doesn't completely explain the shocking suicide statistics for young women like her sister.

She says American culture has adopted the myth that Asians are smarter and harder-working than other minorities.

"It's become a U.S.-based ideology, popular from the 1960s onward, that Asian-Americans are smarter, and should be doing well whether at school or work."

Noh added that simply being a minority can also lead to depression.

"My sister had a really low self-image. She thought of herself as ugly," she says. "We grew up in Houston in the '70s and '80s, and at that time in school there were very few Asian faces. The standard of beauty she wanted to emulate was white women." In college, Noh's sister had plastic surgery to make her eyes and nose appear more European-looking.

Heredity, Noh says, also plays a role. She says in her study, many of the suicidal women had mothers who were also suicidal. She says perhaps it's genetic -- some biochemical marker handed down from mother to daughter -- or perhaps it's the daughter observing the mother's behavior. "It makes sense. You model yourself after the parent of the same gender."

As varied as the causes of depression, Noh says she saw just as many approaches to overcoming it.

While some women in her study did seek help through counseling and prescription drugs, most of her subjects were ambivalent or even negative about counseling. "They felt the counselor couldn't understand their situation. They said it would have helped if the counselor were another Asian-American woman."

These women found help through their religious faith, herbs, acupuncture, or becoming involved in groups that help other Asian women.

"It shows the resourcefulness of these women," she says. "They had really diverse healing strategies."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/16/asian.suicides/index.html

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 18, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
The Guardian of London's columnist George Monbiot: "If We Don’t Deal with Climate Change We Condemn Hundreds of Millions of People to Death"

A fascinating interview.  Listen (and/or read rush transcript) here:

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/18/1429219
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 20, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
For Texting Teens, an OMG Moment When the Phone Bill Arrives

By Margaret Webb Pressler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 20, 2007; A01

Sofia Rubenstein, 17, got in trouble the way a lot of teens do these days.

Her incessant text-messaging racked up a huge phone bill on the family's wireless plan.

"It's whatever pops into my head. There's no stopping it," she said. "Sometimes I'll be on the phone with someone and I get texted, and then I'm having two conversations at once."

Last month the Washington high school junior used 6,807 text messages, which, at a rate of 15 cents apiece for most of them, pushed the family's Verizon Wireless bill to more than $1,100 for the month. Sofia knew she'd been texting a lot but couldn't believe the "incredible" number she hit. "I just thought, oh my God, my life is over," she said.

Indeed. Sofia will be working in her parents' retail store this summer to pay off her debt -- but she definitely won't be the only teenager paying for text abuse. Minutes? Forget minutes. It's all about the text allowance. It needs to be supersized, now that instant messaging has leapt from the desktop to the mobile.

Families who carefully researched their wireless plans to cover calls with no extra fees are discovering, to their horror, that their thumb-tapping teens have found a new way to blow the budget. In Sofia's case, her parents' plan included only 100 free text messages a month -- fewer than half of what she was using every day "at all points of the day" -- and she racked up massive per-message fees fast.

Teenagers elsewhere in the world have been texting furiously for years, using the cheap technology to evade government controls on dating in Saudi Arabia and to foment revolution in the Philippines. Now that texting has exploded in America, it's regarded as one of the current teen generation's inexplicable behaviors, like instant-messaging or spending hours on Facebook.

"What we have to see is that connections are very different than when we were growing up," said Lilli Friedland, a Los Angeles psychologist who also does consulting for the entertainment industry. Text-messaging, she said, is how kids feel comfortable communicating today. Think it, text it, keep it short, have to have it.

Parents seem to accept this new reality and are switching to wireless plans that allow unlimited text messages, which pile $10 to $30 a month on top of an already hefty expense that didn't even exist a decade ago. Janet Boyd, a lobbyist for Dow Chemical, said she and her husband "nearly died" when they got a $70 charge for their 20-year-old daughter's text-messaging. They went to an unlimited plan. "Seventy dollars is a lot more than 20," she said.

Wireless companies, meanwhile, are rolling out new packages to meet demand. "For a teenager to send thousands of text messages a month is not unusual," said John Johnson, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless. Last month the company introduced an unlimited texting plan because even its highest bundle of free text messages -- 5,000 a month -- wasn't enough.

Market research indicates the consumers mostly likely to send and receive text messages are those between the ages of 13 and 24. Last year, 158 billion text messages were sent nationwide, nearly double the number in 2005, according to CTIA, the Wireless Association. With that kind of growth, texting will continue to be very profitable for wireless companies, said Roger Entner, senior vice president for the communication sector at IAG Research, even with bundling plans to lower consumer cost.

The strife this popularity is causing with family phone bills is on display in a popular television commercial for AT&T Wireless to promote its new unlimited plan. A young girl is confronted by her mother for her text-messaging charges, and the girl answers in "text," saying "o-m-g, i-n-b-d." Subtitles provide the translation: "Oh my gosh, it's no big deal."

But it is to Connie Dennard, 49, of Washington. "I never send text messages," she said. When her 21-year-old daughter, a student at the University of Maryland, racked up a charge of $90 because of her texting a few months ago, she said, "that was the end of that. She pays for her own unlimited plan now."

Chris Evans, 44, of Chevy Chase, got a new phone plan with unlimited messaging just this past week because his 11- and 13-year-old children were blowing out the phone bill.

"I travel a lot and hadn't been paying attention to the bills, and they really got out of control," he said. "They're animals with this stuff."

The explosion of this technology was inevitable, according to those who research adolescent behavior, because it provides a new tool for creating what teenagers always have wanted and needed -- distance from parents.

"It's a form of silent communication; they can do it whenever, they can do it fairly secretively," said Rob Callender, trends director for Teenage Research Unlimited. In a recent study of teens, he said, TRU found that texting is the second most popular use for cellphones, right after using them to check the time. Plus, every phone number a child calls is recorded on the family phone bill, with a time stamp. But text messages remain an anonymous, faceless lump number.

Friedland, the psychologist, says texting is different from the marathon phone calls most parents remember making as teens because it's typically done with a large group of friends. "For many of them, it is the sense of being part of a group that is really important," she said. What she worries about is that children aren't getting the "cleaner, deeper sense of friendship and relatedness" that came from talking to someone directly, even on the phone.

"We just don't know yet what the impact will be," she said.

Rubenstein can text without even looking at the keypad and responds within seconds, although the conversation tends to be about nothing especially important. Her mother, Marti Rubenstein, said she has seen Sofia and her friends text each other even when they're in the same room. "It's definitely a crutch," Rubenstein said.

Her daughter left Thursday for a 10-day trip to Morocco with a group of students -- without a phone. Her mother is curious how the kids will handle communicating the old-fashioned way.

"It'll definitely be a totally different experience," she said. "They'll have to spend the whole time actually talking to each other."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/19/AR2007051901284.html?hpid=topnews

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 20, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
This article makes me feel old.  I send, at most, 10 text messages per month.  When all of your friends are on 24-hour e-mail watch, why txt?  In fact, I find them annoying.  I'm like, dood, you just cost me $.10 when you could have e-mailed and I would have responded immediately.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 20, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »
I don't read texts-- nobody is gonna be blowin up my phone bill to say "where u at."  Either call and leave a message (if it is important) or send me an email.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 20, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
Wait, you don't get charged if you don't read them?