Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 250726 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2006, 10:50:55 AM »
Why not?

crazy8

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »
Why not?

To each his own.  Since some of ya'll might have participated in these types of programs, I won't say anything about it, other than my kids won't be doing it.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »
I haven't read the entire article, but are you saying thta you are going to have your kids participate in jack and jill?

Not necessarily Jack and Jill.  It depends on where I end up and the resources in the area.  Ideally I would like to live in a diverse neighborhood and for my kids to attend a good, diverse, public school.  Obviously this is easier said than done.

Barring that, I would find some way for them to interact regularly with other black children.  It might be through church, a community group, children of my friends, or through a group such as jack and jill.  I don't want my kids to arrive at a PWI that's 10% black and say that this is the most black people they've seen in their life.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »
Why not?

To each his own.  Since some of ya'll might have participated in these types of programs, I won't say anything about it, other than my kids won't be doing it.

No, I'm curious to hear your opinion.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2006, 10:54:35 AM »
Why not?

Just out of curiousity, do you feel that it is important for your kids to interact with other black kids?  If so, how do you plan to accomplish that?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »
I don't want my kids to arrive at a PWI that's 10% black and say that this is the most black people they've seen in their life.

Lol.  I grew up in a town of 3k...that was the most black people I'd seen in my life on a regular basis!

crazy8

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2006, 11:05:13 AM »
I just find those programs to be pretentious and wouldn't have my kids engage in them.  I also don't plan on raising my kids in a predominantly white area (ideally).  Unless I'm living in DC  :D, they'll be attending public school.

I don't think you have to raise your kids in a predominantly white area in order for them to turn out well, and then put them in programs like jack and jill so that they know black people.  Those aren't "regular" black people (again, speaking from the perspective of knowing people who did it), and it still isolates them from the black community imo.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »
Yeah, they won't be "regular" black people.  But hopefully they'll be exposed to "regular" black people in church.  I can't think of any non-school social activities that would do so.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2006, 11:10:59 AM »
I never even heard of Jack and Jill and similar programs until a recent discussion of them on this board.  I think I'll put my kids into a program like that if I feel it is worthwhile (would have to do more homework as to the nature of the program, the people, the leadership).  I'm still deciding if I'm going to put my kids into private prep schools or public.  I did public all my life but I wouldn't necessarily say, "it served me well."
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:02 AM »
I'll do public in a heartbeat if I live in a wealthy school district.  But if I live in DC, ATL, or NYC (the 3 most likely places), no way.