Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 251232 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »
Yeah, but there are state and local police and attorneys to handle things too.  I think we depend too much on the national government.

crazy8

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 10:18:15 AM »
Yeah, but there are state and local police and attorneys to handle things too.  I think we depend too much on the national government.

I'm not ignoring state and local attorneys.  But if you're going to have a specific division in the DOJ that handles certain types of cases, you would think that the attorneys they hire would have experience in those types of cases.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 10:19:14 AM »
Lol.  True.

crazy8

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
Lol.  True.

Alci, I know you're rubbing shoulders in there with them, so I understand your inability to speak out.  Therefore, I will speak out on your behalf!  :D ;D

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »
Experience or not, if you're qualified, you're qualified.  So he picks people with no experience in the particular field -- most of the top Bush lawyers I've heard about in the news and met in person have been immensely qualified (conservative) individuals.  They can get the job done.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

crazy8

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »
Experience or not, if you're qualified, you're qualified.  So he picks people with no experience in the particular field -- most of the top Bush lawyers I've heard about in the news and met in person have been immensely qualified (conservative) individuals.  They can get the job done.

What makes you qualified?  Are you telling me that all of a sudden, he can't find any "qualified" people with experience?  How come that wasn't the case before?  How come these attorneys though not qualified, all hold very right-wing opinions?

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »

Lacoste what is your opinion on Ward Connerly and Clarence Thomas.  
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 10:34:33 AM »

What makes you qualified?  Are you telling me that all of a sudden, he can't find any "qualified" people with experience?  How come that wasn't the case before?  How come these attorneys though not qualified, all hold very right-wing opinions?

Um, how are they not qualified?  Just because they don't have prior experience?  If that's the criteria then shoot -- how will any of us receive a job (especially a gov't job) coming fresh out of law school?  Most of these lawyers are well established professionals from the private/business sector.  Many are partners at top firms.  Just because they hold right-wing opinions does not make them unqualified, despite your lack of enthusiasm about their party affiliation.  And, as Alci said, it's the President's prerogative.  Don't like it?  Vote him out.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

faith2005

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 10:47:28 AM »
i posted this yesterday. usually people have been posting articles on the main board. I've continued to do that, even though most of the time someone posts the same article in a separate thread the next day. just like this one.

in the past it wasn't the president's prerogative. as a matter of fact, civil service posts used to be insulated from the president b/c of the worry that he would try to grab power. All of this presidential oversight is new. I don't think hiring someone without experience in Anti-trust makes sense for the DOJ anti-trust division. Similarly, if you don't have any civil rights experience, you shouldn't be hired for the civil rights division. He has probably put up some conservative civil rights attys and thats all well and good--but people who are partners in private firms don't have the relevant experience and what he's trying to do is stop complaints from being filed. I personally can't understand a black person who doesn't think that civil rights attys are important. perhaps segregated schools in north carolina should be re-instated. 

crazy8

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »
i posted this yesterday. usually people have been posting articles on the main board. I've continued to do that, even though most of the time someone posts the same article in a separate thread the next day. just like this one.

in the past it wasn't the president's prerogative. as a matter of fact, civil service posts used to be insulated from the president b/c of the worry that he would try to grab power. All of this presidential oversight is new. I don't think hiring someone without experience in Anti-trust makes sense for the DOJ anti-trust division. Similarly, if you don't have any civil rights experience, you shouldn't be hired for the civil rights division. He has probably put up some conservative civil rights attys and thats all well and good--but people who are partners in private firms don't have the relevant experience and what he's trying to do is stop complaints from being filed. I personally can't understand a black person who doesn't think that civil rights attys are important. perhaps segregated schools in north carolina should be re-instated. 

Exactly Faith....Lacoste, it may have been okay if he were hiring attorneys fresh out of law school. But if you're going to hire a seasoned attorney, shouldn't he be seasoned in the area you are hiring him for?

What scares me is the complacent attitude that some of us seem to have.  Instead of calling Bush out on his outlandish behavior, we try to play devil's advocates and "see where he might be coming from"  Hell no!  By the time we're done doing that, his actions will start to affect us, and then maybe we'll stop being so indifferent about it!