Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 249012 times)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #5721 on: March 04, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
Good for the NAACP.  That article does not make it clear enough, however, that the NAACP and other major national race-based civil rights organizations have come out against gay marriage bans in the past.  For instance, Hilary Shelton testified on behalf of the NAACP against the Federal Marriage Amendment back in 2004, and most state conferences have opposed the marriage amendments in their states.  The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights authored a 2004 letter against the FMA, co-signed by all of the big players -- the National Urban League, the NAACP, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the National Council of La Raza, et al.

Also LDF is one of the named plaintiffs in one of the anti-Prop 8 lawsuits and joined an amicus brief of civil rights organizations that was filed in the case that will be heard tomorrow.  It also filed the amicus brief that forms the basis of Judge Kaye's eloquent dissent in the New York marriage cases.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: March 04, 2009, 10:49:06 PM »
I knew I could count on you to have more info!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: March 04, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »

Sorry for the know-it-ally post.  This is a particular set of institutional politics that is very near to my heart.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »

Sorry for the know-it-ally post.  This is a particular set of institutional politics that is very near to my heart.

No apologizing! I meant to ask if you had thoughts/more information and got distracted.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: March 18, 2009, 12:52:27 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/us/18juries.html

Also, ftr, I miss Alci something serious.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: March 18, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/us/18juries.html

Also, ftr, I miss Alci something serious.

Yeah, where is Alci? It's quiet in general around here lately.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
Aww, life has been busy lately with work and other "adult" things (e.g., house hunting), but I still pop in every now and then to see what's new Smiley.

Re: the article-- I'm not so sure that it's a bad thing that jurors are trying to become more knowledgeable.  Of course, it wreaks havoc on the closed universe that is supposed to a trial, but if our ultimate goal is truthfinding, I don't think a trial in its current form serves that purpose.  There was also a story about a law professor who somehow ended up on a jury in NJ and explained various legal terms to his fellow jurors.  He wrote a law review article about it, and the court overturned that verdict too.  Silly.

Who ever suggested that!? ;)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:20 AM »
lol exactly :D

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
Aww, life has been busy lately with work and other "adult" things (e.g., house hunting), but I still pop in every now and then to see what's new Smiley.

Re: the article-- I'm not so sure that it's a bad thing that jurors are trying to become more knowledgeable.  Of course, it wreaks havoc on the closed universe that is supposed to a trial, but if our ultimate goal is truthfinding, I don't think a trial in its current form serves that purpose.  There was also a story about a law professor who somehow ended up on a jury in NJ and explained various legal terms to his fellow jurors.  He wrote a law review article about it, and the court overturned that verdict too.  Silly.

Agreed.  As long as the info is valid (from a valid source on the internet) I don't see much of a difference in a person coming in with that knowledge vs. looking it up.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King