Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 251171 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #5680 on: November 30, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
Yeah it doesn't make much sense.  I foresee it being found unconstitutional.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
Nice profile of Michelle Rhee.  I like her:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/michelle-rhee

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
Teacher Under Fire For Misguided Slavery Lesson

White Instructor Said To Have Taped Hands And Feet Of 2 Black Middle Schoolers, Made Them Crawl Under Desk
Reporting
Tony Aiello

HAVERSTRAW, N.Y. (CBS) ― Reenactments and demonstrations can be helpful teaching tools, but did a Rockland County teacher take that approach too far? She's under fire for binding the hands of black students and having them sit under a desk during a lesson on slavery.

Christine Shand says it was a terrible experience for her daughter, Gaby, descended, like most Jamaicans, from slaves.

"She burst into tears, she was crying and she was horrified," Shand told CBS 2 HD.

In a social studies class at Haverstraw Middle School, teacher Eileen Bernstein chose Gaby and another girl for a demonstration of conditions on ships that carried slaves out of Africa.

One African-American student raised her hand to volunteer for the demonstration. Gaby did not volunteer, but was chosen anyway.

"She taped their hands together, taped their feet together, and she had them crawl under the desk as if they were on a slave ship," her mother told CBS 2.

Mrs. Shand said Gaby was traumatized. She questions the teacher's judgment.

"There are other ways to demonstrate slavery. There's movies, you don't actually have to grab two kids and like put shackles on them," she said.

Wilbur Aldridge, the regional NAACP director, went with the Shands Thursday to meet Bernstein.

"She said she apologized for causing any problems for the child, but she was not apologizing for using that simulation during the class," Aldridge said.

But Principal Avis Shelby apologized, calling the slave ship demonstration a "bad decision."

"And we have things in place to make sure it doesn't occur again," Shelby added.

Mrs. Shand said she's still not satisfied and is mulling her options, worrying about how Gaby will perform the rest of the school year.

In the meantime, Mrs. Bernstein has remained in the classroom. Because it's a personnel issue, school officials won't say if she's been disciplined or reprimanded.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: December 08, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
Meh.  The only problem I see is that she used only black children.  She should've mixed it up.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:21 PM »
A torts prof at my school has a post about this on a legal blog. Evidently he exhibited some poor judgment when a student asked about the difference between an assault and a battery.

Yes, he demonstrated. And then had to explain himself to the Dean.

I know there was an article about a teacher who divided her class into two different groups (I think randomly, but it may have been "light eyes" = slaves, "dark eyes" = owners) and went a whole day with all privileges going to one group, including who she believed when there was an issue. The kids are all grown up now, and many still remember it as a breakthrough moment for appreciating the racial history and current reality in America.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
aaahhhhahhahaha!!!!
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: December 13, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
Since the jurors were wussies, the judge had to give the Courthouse Killer life without parole:

"I'm giving you the maximum -- every day I could give you. If I could give you more, I would," Superior Court Judge James Bodiford told Nichols.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/13/nichols.sentence/index.html

Amen.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: December 16, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
I know there was an article about a teacher who divided her class into two different groups (I think randomly, but it may have been "light eyes" = slaves, "dark eyes" = owners) and went a whole day with all privileges going to one group, including who she believed when there was an issue. The kids are all grown up now, and many still remember it as a breakthrough moment for appreciating the racial history and current reality in America.
Growing up, my mom always used to tell me about seeing something like this that she saw on tv or in a movie.  I wish I could get a hold of it.

Meh.  The only problem I see is that she used only black children.  She should've mixed it up.
ITA!  Sometimes people are hypersensitive about the wrong stuff!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »

So call me hypersensitive but I do find it slightly more offensive than you guys seem to.  It was just in poor taste any way you look at it.  Are they going to be scarred for life?  Maybe not that serious but you know some kids will take anything and make even bigger in their minds causing a lower self esteem. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »

Actually, I don't think it's at all appropriate for a teacher to bind two young children, particularly if one of them didn't volunteer - and then to leave them like that even if one of them is crying.

I don't think I know enough about the composition of the classroom or the teacher's motives to comment on the race issue, though it is potentially problematic.

-

My fourth grade teachers did a modified version of the eye color thing. As I remember it, they explained a little bit about it ahead of time, but even though we knew it wasn't real, all of we blue-eyed kids still found it profoundly frustrating to be told all day that we weren't as smart as the other kids, that we wouldn't amount to anything, etc. etc. It affected me pretty profoundly.