Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 242834 times)

crazy8

Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »
So as to show I'm not biased, I'm completely disturbed about this:

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Hil, Rupert sly as Fox at fund-raiser
BY HELEN KENNEDY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Tuesday, July 18th, 2006

Two of the most public people in the world had a chummy breakfast yesterday, but media mogul Rupert Murdoch and Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) tried to keep their political get-together as secret as possible.
There were no Fox News cameras to record the odd couple breaking bread together at Murdoch's News Corp. headquarters in midtown, where, after years of attacking her, the conservative Murdoch hosted a fund-raiser for Clinton's Democratic Senate campaign.

The campaign refused to even confirm the time or location of the controversial fund-raiser. No estimate of the take or number of people who attended was released.

New York's junior senator did not make an appearance on "Fox and Friends" on her way out of the building just after 10a.m. She didn't even go through the News Corp. lobby, slipping out a side door onto W.48th St., where the CBS show "Without a Trace" was filming up the block.

Fans of Clinton and Murdoch were shocked and upset when the fund-raiser was announced, and the senator and the mogul have since sought to downplay the event.

Murdoch insists he is stuffing more cash into Clinton's overflowing coffers simply because she's an effective senator.

After hosting Clinton, Murdoch was expected a few blocks north at a Republican Senate campaign fund-raising luncheon featuring Clinton's rival in the 2008 presidential opinion polls, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Asked whether Murdoch was playing both sides of the street, McCain said with a smile, "He's a great American."

Former Sen. Al D'Amato, who hosted the GOP fund-raiser, said the Clinton-Murdoch coziness was just good business. "She's a force to be reckoned with and if you're in the business community, you have to understand that," he said.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2006, 05:12:48 PM »
Heard rumblings regarding this relationship a month or two ago.  Surprising in a way, but also not.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

faith2005

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
maybe support of Israel is the missing link here.

crazy8

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »
Yea, talk about them have been going on since last year.  But it seems like it's becoming more serious since she's taking money from him.  I'm starting to think Hil would like to cross over to the Republican side.  Surprisingly I think she would get less flack if she were Republican.  I mean, she aligns herself with some of their views but also finds herself in the middle when it comes to others.

maybe support of Israel is the missing link here.

Nope because of what I said above....they've been chummy for a min.

crazy8

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »
By the NewsMax.com Staff 
For the story behind the story... 

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:15 p.m. EDT
Rupert Murdoch and Hillary Clinton: New Odd Couple

Is there a political romance brewing between two of the most powerful players on the opposite sides of the national scene, asked the New York Observer as it contemplated the friendly relationship between New York Senator Hillary Clinton and media mogul Rupert Murdoch.

The Observer's Ben Smith writes that the possibility of an alliance between "two of the most powerful and guarded figures in the world is beginning to whet the appetites of the chattering classes."

Though not yet cooing at each other, Hillary and Rupert are speaking softly.

"Senator Clinton respects him and thinks he is smart and effective," Philippe Reines, a spokesman for Mrs. Clinton, told the Observer.

"Rupert has respect for her political skills and for the hard work that she's done as a Senator," Gary Ginsberg, an executive vice president at Murdoch's News Corp., confided to Smith.

Adding smoke to the glowing embers of gossip surrounding the two is the softer tone the usually anti-Hillary New York Post has adopted toward her, along with Murdoch's retaining of Hillary adviser Howard Wolfson.

Murdoch's News Corp. hired Wolfson's s firm, the Glover Park Group, to run an ultimately unsuccessful campaign against a change in the Nielsen ratings system sought by the Fox television network.

Smith notes: "The Post's feared gossip page, Page Six, has been a regular outlet for rumors about Bill Clinton's private life and for unflattering tidbits about both Clintons. But last week the page landed a solid blow against the anti-Clinton right, eviscerating journalist Ed Klein's new book, 'The Truth About Hillary', in a well-reported item that tracked down two women whom Mr. Klein suggested had had affairs with Mrs. Clinton. Page Six dismissed the rumor."

According to Hillary's White House chief ideological officer, Sidney Blumenthal, "The Page Six trashing of Ed Klein's wretched little piece of sewage was a very interesting article. We won't know for a while whether or not it was assigned, but it appears that [Page Six] sought the story."

Other signs of a pending political union between the two:

A reportedly "cordial" 2002 lunch between Murdoch and the senator at News Corp.'s private dining room at its Rockefeller Center headquarters.

Bill Clinton's "energetic" courting of Murdoch and his son, Lachlan, who runs the Post. Clinton toured the Post's newsroom in January 2003. Smith reported that Bill Clinton has lunched alone with the senior Murdoch, and this June he delivered a recorded tribute at the birthday party of the former Republican operative who runs Fox News, Roger Ailes.

"I know ... you're thinking somebody put the wrong video in the machine," he reportedly began. "I am especially grateful that Roger didn't work in the 1992 campaign. I mean, who knows how different history would have been if he had. I would have been spared all of his barbs in his later life as a media mogul, but I wouldn't have had the chance to be president."

Then there is Hillary's sudden propensity to hook up with such former foes as South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, who managed the House's impeachment trial of her husband, and even Newt Gingrich.

Murdoch's reported willingness to cozy up to Hillary has failed to surprise those familiar with the international media baron.

Speaking of a potential alliance between the two opposites, Nicholas Wapshott, the longtime New York bureau chief for Murdoch's Times of London, told Smith: "It makes perfect sense. Although Rupert is widely assumed to be an ideological creature solely of the right, the fact is that he's a businessman before he is an ideologist, and he likes to be with a winner."

"They're both probably about as canny as each other, and they're about as inscrutable as each other," Wapshott, who was at The Times of London when Murdoch arrived in 1980, added. "They are very similar both hard-nosed characters. They would understand each other perfectly. Absolutely perfectly."

Could Murdoch actually endorse Hillary for 2008?

Smith notes that one major obstacle of such a move is Fox News.

The news network, he says, "is the stumbling block to any suggestion that Mr. Murdoch could really pivot toward Mrs. Clinton if she is the Democrats' 2008 nominee. A huge profit center for News Corp., Fox's hostility and suspicion toward Mrs. Clinton is a staple for loyal viewers. In April, the network brought on former Clinton political adviser male private part Morris a regular commentator on the network to speculate about what damaging material would emerge from Mr. Klein's dirt-filled biography of Mrs. Clinton."

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 05:27:02 PM »
Something good for a change...

Alpha Phi Alpha Opens 100th Anniversary Convention in DC
President Darryl R. Matthews, Sr., of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., announced today that the fraternity will kick off its official 100th anniversary celebration at its national convention in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, July 25, 2006.

Founded on December 4, 1906 by seven distinct men at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, Alpha Phi Alpha is the first and largest inter-collegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for Black college students.

"Our founders envisioned a day when the leadership of African-American men would become widely-recognized and respected, despite challenges of social and economic inequality," said Matthews. "And since many of our members have had a tremendous impact on the nation's social and economic policies, this made Washington an ideal place to both honor our founders' vision and celebrate 100 years of Alpha Phi Alpha achievements."

Alpha Phi Alpha has not only been influential in the areas of government and business, but also in education, community affairs, sports and entertainment. The fraternity's prominent members include Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Charles Rangel, Marc Morial, Kwame Kilpatrick, Art Shell, Lionel Ritchie, the list goes on.

Over the years, Alpha Phi Alpha has lead hundreds of campaigns to uplift the African-American community, including the Million Dollar Campaign to support the NAACP, National Negro College Fund and the National Urban League. The renowned "A Voteless People is a Hopeless People" campaign was the first real organized demonstration to encourage African-Americans to vote. The fraternity's most recent campaign, the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Project, has raised nearly $60 million to date.

Alpha Phi Alphas' over 650 chapters combined have contributed an estimated 650K in scholarships annually.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »
Teen held as a suspect in Ind. shootings

By CHARLES WILSON, Associated Press Writer

A 17-year-old was arrested Tuesday as a suspect in a series of highway shootings that killed one man, wounded another and damaged at least four vehicles, a prosecutor said.

Zachariah Blanton faced preliminary charges of murder, attempted murder and criminal recklessness, prosecutor Stephen Pierson said.

A judge on Tuesday afternoon said he had found probable cause to issue an arrest warrant for Blanton, who was being held in the Jackson County jail.

Pierson said state police had recovered a rifle they believed was used in the shootings. The two sniper victims were hit early Sunday as they rode in pickup trucks on Interstate 65 near Seymour, south of Indianapolis.

About two hours later, bullets struck a moving tractor-trailer and a parked sport-utility vehicle on I-69 in Delaware County, about 100 miles to the northeast. No one was injured in those shootings.

Authorities considered the shootings linked.

The FBI joined the investigation on Monday as investigators searched fields, overpasses and roads looking for evidence. Detectives from Columbus, Ohio, who helped solve that city's 2003 and 2004 sniper shootings also traveled to Indiana to help.

crazy8

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »
Something good for a change...

Alpha Phi Alpha Opens 100th Anniversary Convention in DC
President Darryl R. Matthews, Sr., of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., announced today that the fraternity will kick off its official 100th anniversary celebration at its national convention in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, July 25, 2006.

Founded on December 4, 1906 by seven distinct men at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, Alpha Phi Alpha is the first and largest inter-collegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for Black college students.

"Our founders envisioned a day when the leadership of African-American men would become widely-recognized and respected, despite challenges of social and economic inequality," said Matthews. "And since many of our members have had a tremendous impact on the nation's social and economic policies, this made Washington an ideal place to both honor our founders' vision and celebrate 100 years of Alpha Phi Alpha achievements."

Alpha Phi Alpha has not only been influential in the areas of government and business, but also in education, community affairs, sports and entertainment. The fraternity's prominent members include Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Charles Rangel, Marc Morial, Kwame Kilpatrick, Art Shell, Lionel Ritchie, the list goes on.

Over the years, Alpha Phi Alpha has lead hundreds of campaigns to uplift the African-American community, including the Million Dollar Campaign to support the NAACP, National Negro College Fund and the National Urban League. The renowned "A Voteless People is a Hopeless People" campaign was the first real organized demonstration to encourage African-Americans to vote. The fraternity's most recent campaign, the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Project, has raised nearly $60 million to date.

Alpha Phi Alphas' over 650 chapters combined have contributed an estimated 650K in scholarships annually.

I think Intent will be in town for this.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2006, 05:43:59 PM »

I think Intent will be in town for this.

I'm tempted to be in town for that :D  LOL -- j/p

faith2005

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
my friend in dc told me some girls were talking about it months ago. saying that they'd be going to the after hours events and stuff. lol!

i remember when the kappa convention (is it k(c)onclave?)was in my hometown. one of my girls and i had alot of fun.  :)