Law School Discussion

Post Your Interesting News Articles Here

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #1830 on: August 22, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
wow. not a bad argument at all. hunting = dog fighting. i can dig it.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 23, 2007, 06:33:05 AM »
"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury said. "I think he's one of the superb athletes, and he's a good human being. I just think that he fell into a bad situation."

that statement's pretty on point

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 23, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »

yup

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: August 23, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »

yup

H4CS half-sincerely made this argument elsewhere.

I roughly agree, though the NFL will argue that the taint of gambling (along with whatever animal cruelty and federal prosecution and whatever) makes dog fighting quite different. 

I'm back, and not g-dubbing.  Please let me know if I missed any excitement.

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1834 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:23 PM »
"I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

I think there is a pretty discernable difference between killing an animal yourself (typically executing it quickly) and having a dog fight another dog, sometimes/often? to the death.  It's pretty sick, IMHO.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: August 23, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
"I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

I think there is a pretty discernable difference between killing an animal yourself (typically executing it quickly) and having a dog fight another dog, sometimes/often? to the death.  It's pretty sick, IMHO.

I think both are arguably sick.  I mean, chasing after an animal in its habitat with all the advantages technology can offer  only sounds as sport in certain milieux.

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1836 on: August 23, 2007, 11:39:28 PM »
Agreed.  Dog fighting just seems considerably more sick as the animals are being tortured and literally beaten to death by another whereas hunting at least gives the more likely possibility of a quick kill and thus less/no pain. 

I don't hunt or fight dogs, BTW.   ;)  I do like to complain and get into other people's business.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 23, 2007, 11:56:46 PM »
I do like to complain and get into other people's business.

We'll get along just fine. ;)

I also find dog-fighting particularly repulsive, for the same reasons.  Nonetheless, other athletes do things that are arguably as antisocial or dangerous with impunity (drunk driving, rape).  I think the Vick stuff is about race, among other things. 

Tangentially related -- I read while I was gone that over 50% of Falcons season-ticket holders are African American.  Is this true of any other NFL teams?  I wonder what the number was like before Vick came along.  It's all very interesting.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 24, 2007, 04:57:42 AM »
I do like to complain and get into other people's business.

We'll get along just fine. ;)

I also find dog-fighting particularly repulsive, for the same reasons.  Nonetheless, other athletes do things that are arguably as antisocial or dangerous with impunity (drunk driving, rape).  I think the Vick stuff is about race, among other things. 

Tangentially related -- I read while I was gone that over 50% of Falcons season-ticket holders are African American.  Is this true of any other NFL teams?  I wonder what the number was like before Vick came along.  It's all very interesting.

Really? You don't think the water bottle incident or the herpes lawsuit helped to form media opinion about Vick, more so than race? I know you said "among other things," but race warranted an honorable mention.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 24, 2007, 05:34:44 AM »
Lol at you anti-hunters.  Putting aside the fact that deer are severely overpopulated, you wouldn't be here if it weren't for hunters.  I guess those poor plants don't stand a chance against the tractors either.