Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 254431 times)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »
I didn't put words in your mouth--I found your statement to be a bit saddening

edit: that is to say it is saddening to think that there is such a divide in our community that either you are jack or jill or struggling i.e. regular

crazy8

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »
I've made many statements...which one are you referring to?

FTR I don't believe that "regular" black folks are homeless/frequent soup kitchens.  I do believe that "regular" black folks will not be found in J&J's.  Kids of privliege need to be aware that they are privliged and most people (esp. black people) don't live like they do.  That does not mean that most are homeless or frequent soup kitchens if that's how it read.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2006, 06:38:09 PM »
this is the one I was referring to:

In high school, my mom "forced" me to tutor at an after-school program for high-risk kids.  I fed the homeless every Thanksgiving, and handed out gifts to those in need (some of these people attended my school).  I consider those regular black people.

perhaps because I didn't grow up jack and jill or anywhere close to it but also didn't grow up homeless that statement just made me think about how stratified our community is.  My question was meant to be philosophical and not accusatory--what is "regular" in our community, how do we define it, and what do we want it to be? 

crazy8

« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »
I'm not sure if we can really define "regular" or whether there even needs to be a regular within our community.  I think it's important for us and our kids to know that our community ranges economically, and most of them are not "well-off".

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »
but then couldn't you say that about American society generally?

edit:  I agree with what you've said above btw

crazy8

« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2006, 07:42:54 PM »
I was going to say that, but since we were talking about J&J I just left it at that.  Even in the middle class, a white middle class male will have a different experience in life than a black middle class male.  Instead, I beleive J&J perpetuates the belief that they have the same privlieges in life than their white peers.  But money can only go so far, and rubbing shoulders with the upper echeleon of the black society doesn't give a child that understanding imo and makes them out of touch with the majority of the black community.  Does that make sense?  I typed something better but got booted  >:(

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
Instead, I beleive J&J perpetuates the belief that they have the same privlieges in life than their white peers. 

Hm, from the article and from what I know of J&J, I don't think that's true.  In fact, I think that's part of what they're trying to combat...hence the quote from the parents whose daughter doesn't think that racism exists.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »
I was going to say that, but since we were talking about J&J I just left it at that.  Even in the middle class, a white middle class male will have a different experience in life than a black middle class male.  Instead, I beleive J&J perpetuates the belief that they have the same privlieges in life than their white peers.  But money can only go so far, and rubbing shoulders with the upper echeleon of the black society doesn't give a child that understanding imo and makes them out of touch with the majority of the black community.  Does that make sense?  I typed something better but got booted  >:(

I hate when that happens!  you can never remember everything you wanted to say.

anyway I think we agree-- J&J sounds mad suspect.  No offense to those of you who were in it, but I want my child to have a more balanced view of life.  But then again, as a product of public schools I'm a big believer in the types of interactions they foster.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2006, 07:59:47 PM »
Do you still have to be invited to join?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »
Do you still have to be invited to join?

probably.  I doubt anyone will send me an application  :D