Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here  (Read 252967 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Interesting News Articles Here
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:43 AM »
I just find those programs to be pretentious and wouldn't have my kids engage in them.  I also don't plan on raising my kids in a predominantly white area (ideally).  Unless I'm living in DC  :D, they'll be attending public school.

I don't think you have to raise your kids in a predominantly white area in order for them to turn out well, and then put them in programs like jack and jill so that they know black people.  Those aren't "regular" black people (again, speaking from the perspective of knowing people who did it), and it still isolates them from the black community imo.

Like I said earlier, a black (or diverse) neighborhood is the ideal, but Jack and Jill or the like is the backup.  Plus, they'll spend summers with their grandparents and cousin in Bermuda (and maybe Jamica), so they'll have that exposure as well.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

crazy8

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
In high school, my mom "forced" me to tutor at an after-school program for high-risk kids.  I fed the homeless every Thanksgiving, and handed out gifts to those in need (some of these people attended my school).  I consider those regular black people.

When I went to college, there were few blacks, but we sought each other out.  Most of us weren't pretentious (those that were got knocked down to reality over time).  I felt pretty in touch with the black commuity though there was a slight majority of whites and I didn't need jack and jill to do it.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2006, 11:15:50 AM »
I'll do public in a heartbeat if I live in a wealthy school district.  But if I live in DC, ATL, or NYC (the 3 most likely places), no way.

I figure I'll do the same thing.  If the local (public) schools are top-notch then my children will attend.  If not, then prep school it is.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:07 AM »
I just find those programs to be pretentious and wouldn't have my kids engage in them.  I also don't plan on raising my kids in a predominantly white area (ideally).  Unless I'm living in DC  :D, they'll be attending public school.

I don't think you have to raise your kids in a predominantly white area in order for them to turn out well, and then put them in programs like jack and jill so that they know black people.  Those aren't "regular" black people (again, speaking from the perspective of knowing people who did it), and it still isolates them from the black community imo.

You would send your children to D.C. public schools ?!?!?  :o

*If I stay here or move to D.C., I'd live in a nice "Black" neighborhood, but my kids will most definitely be attending private schools. *

Other than that sending your kids to public schools though, I sorta understand what you're saying. However, if you are affluent,  exposing your children to other affluent Black kids might be a good thing.  They'd get to know that they aren't all that different than some other Black people and possibly make great friends/connections at the same time.

crazy8

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
no Inquirer, that's my pt, I wouldn't send my kids to DC public school.  Unless I live in DC, they'll be in public school.  I'm a product of a public school education, and I think I turned out pretty well. 

What is the reason to have your kids in programs like Jack & Jill, to expose them to black people?  I'm sorry but I think that causes them to perpetuate the belief that black people are like them...privileged.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2006, 11:27:09 AM »
no Inquirer, that's my pt, I wouldn't send my kids to DC public school.  Unless I live in DC, they'll be in public school.  I'm a product of a public school education, and I think I turned out pretty well. 

What is the reason to have your kids in programs like Jack & Jill, to expose them to black people?  I'm sorry but I think that causes them to perpetuate the belief that black people are like them...privileged.

Or it could cause them to understand that just because they are Black doesn't mean they have to act a certain way -- like they have no class/are from the streets.  You have to find a happy balance.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »

Or it could cause them to understand that just because they are Black doesn't mean they have to act a certain way -- like they have no class/are from the streets.  You have to find a happy balance.

Yeah, it's important to expose them to both.  They will be moving among the elite circles, so they need to know how to interact with the elite.  Yet, they shouldn't lose their perspective.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »

I think there are two different issues here, making friends and giving back to the community.  I want my kids to do both.  In your previous post, all of your examples were about giving back (tutoring, helping the homeless, etc), but you never mentioned anything about being friends with 'regular' black people until maybe college.

Kids can attend jack and jill and meet other 'privileged' black kids and attend church or volunteer with 'regular' black kids.  A kid from a 'priveleged' background will probably identify more with another 'priveleged' black kid, so it's important that they have exposure to people from all walks of life.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »

Oh okay -- I wasn't reading right. Thanks for making it plain for me.  I was in educated in public schools as well (after third grade), so I don't plan on going out of my way to send my children to private schools either...

The purpose of Jack & Jill isn't simply to expose the children to Black people, b/c they can get that by going to the mall in the right area.  The purpose is to expose them to a certain kind of Black people (and it's clearly a networking opp. for the mothers) so that the kids can see that they aren't the only Black kids who are privileged.  

From what I understand, some of the Jack & Jill groups do community service and outreach work, just to make sure the kids don't lose perspective on the plight of Black America.

crazy8

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
[Or it could cause them to understand that just because they are Black doesn't mean they have to act a certain way -- like they have no class/are from the streets.  You have to find a happy balance.

I didn't do it, and I still understood how I should act.

Yeah, it's important to expose them to both.  They will be moving among the elite circles, so they need to know how to interact with the elite.  Yet, they shouldn't lose their perspective.

Oh okay, I guess I don't imagine the friends I have and the new friends I will acquire elite.  Though we're all doing the damn thing none of us consider ourselves elite/privileged.