Law School Discussion

Alternate Universe: Where Do You End Up?

faith2005

Re: Alternate Universe: Where Do You End Up?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »
yeah i remember that scoop. i was all about it. i did some internships and started my northwestern and columbia j-school applications. i still want to write. i've submitted essays to different publications and stuff. we'll see.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »
Hahaha, I was asking what school y'all would have gone to if not the school you are attending -- not what you would do if not for law school altogether!

NYU (assuming I would have gotten in) or Columbia (if I could get in off the "reserve")

after those, I'd probably have been struggling between Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago and Penn (also, assuming I would have gotten in).

You withdrew from all of them before hearing?

No, I actually visited Michigan, NU, and Chicago's admit days.

I hadn't heard from NYU or Penn by the time I'd sent my deposit to HLS, so I politely told them to go f*** themselves, I was going to Harvard.  Columbia, I withdrew from their WL at the same time.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »

Jay and I were on the same ASW cycle for a while. Do you ever wonder which black folks they admitted to NYU? Everyone I know was W/Lsted.

I heard from Cornell shortly after I sent off my deposit to Michigan, but I was too lazily to try to shake them down for money.

yeah i remember that scoop. i was all about it. i did some internships and started my northwestern and columbia j-school applications. i still want to write. i've submitted essays to different publications and stuff. we'll see.

Yeah, no need for Columbia or NU J-school after LS. I love journalism, it's just I had hit my wall in the business and it was time to move on or be stuck in the same position for eternity.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
Most of the NYU admits I know were RTK at NYU and chose Yale over NYU-RTK and HLS.  I don't know any NYU admits that were doing the UVa/Chicago/Michigan circuit.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »
NYU

or PhD at Princeton

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »

Jay and I were on the same ASW cycle for a while. Do you ever wonder which black folks they admitted to NYU? Everyone I know was W/Lsted.

Ha, yeah I know some black folks headed there.  I guess it would have been interesting to find out what the deal was, but I was satisfied telling them to shove it for not getting back in due time.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 03:18:13 PM »
I imagine if we were insistent about the w/l we could have snuck in, but I had become too lazy by then so I withdrew.

Good luck in Cambridge, where did you friend Justin eventually wind up?

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 03:29:06 PM »
I imagine if we were insistent about the w/l we could have snuck in, but I had become too lazy by then so I withdrew.

Good luck in Cambridge, where did you friend Justin eventually wind up?

Never even got a WL letter from NYU.  I got nothing whatsoever.  At least Penn had sent me a letter saying they were still evaluating and would get back to me by early April.  Of course I still hadn't heard from them in May, so I said whatever.

J is going to Northwestern next fall.  He got that "we'll give you $$$ if you defer a year" deal.

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 03:31:21 PM »
J is going to Northwestern next fall.  He got that "we'll give you $$$ if you defer a year" deal.

Yup, same deal I got. They love giving out that deal, must bring up their yield numbers. Good for him.

Never even got a WL letter from NYU.  I got nothing whatsoever.  At least Penn had sent me a letter saying they were still evaluating and would get back to me by early April.  Of course I still hadn't heard from them in May, so I said whatever.

I got the NYU letter like April 28. It was ridiculously late, I had already sent off my deposit and haggled over my fin. aid money.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 05:56:12 AM »
If you were being serious:

1) Why'd you apply to other schools?
2) Why are you going to law school in the first place  ???

I applied only to schools I considered attending. However, with my LSAT score and background, I wasn't sure if I would get in anywhere but Howard.

I'm going to law school to get a graduate degree and increase my earning potential. I didn't feel like an MBA would offer enough of a challenge and I didn't want to take any time off school.