Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are all gpa's judged the same?  (Read 2148 times)

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
are all gpa's judged the same?
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:19:31 PM »
delete
seeing king midas everywhere.

strivergirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: are all gpa's judged the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:33:08 PM »
it may give you a slight boost, but i don't think enough to substantially alter your school prospects.  imo, ivy prestige is more than balanced out by ivy grade inflation.  ivy grads may be disproportionately represented at harvard et.al., but they're still top-of-the-line ivy grads.  focus on getting a stellar lsat score; that's all you can do right now.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:37:31 PM »
I think most GPAs are judged the same, except for the schools that are truly exceptional... and luckily, you go to one.  :)

If you have a strong LSAT, you should have a good shot everywhere except possibly Yale (unless you've got great soft factors, too).

I didn't get into NYU, but some people will similar numbers to mine did... and they all went to better UGs.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »
I think school GPA's are more or less the same, mabye small differences, but not much.

Where I think the differences really exist are majors, with sciences getting a boost.

dunsonlight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:37:32 PM »
You'll be just fine.  You will get a boost for your ug.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:39:09 PM »
People like to talk about grade inflation.  Sure it makes some difference, but I don't know if you know this, but you went to freakin HARVARD.

While I'm sure there's some dead weight at H due to legacy, $, or whatever, most people tend to think that you have to be exceptional to get in there.  And you did well there.

Schools will want you, if you do well on the LSAT.  3.63 from your school is a 3.83 from mine.

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
Didn't the last Harvard president get booted because he was sick of the grade inflation that was going on at Harvard and wanted to reform the system?  Real nice.
Bruin once again.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:42:16 PM »
Didn't the last Harvard president get booted because he was sick of the grade inflation that was going on at Harvard and wanted to reform the system?  Real nice.

I think he got booted because he said women were not as good at math than men (or something to that extent).
Penn Law '09

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:49:22 PM »
yeah he said that women were not generally wired for the hard sciences. Then he got booted- so much for academic freedom. I think men are better at some things, and women at others. The same goes for lions, tigers and bears. On the other hand there will always be a female soldier or scientist that is the top in their field despite societal limitations, or any gender(if they even exist- I don't know as I am not a Harvard scientist)limitations.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 11:51:32 PM »
yeah he said that women were not generally wired for the hard sciences. Then he got booted- so much for academic freedom. I think men are better at some things, and women at others. The same goes for lions, tigers and bears. On the other hand there will always be a female soldier or scientist that is the top in their field despite societal limitations, or any gender(if they even exist- I don't know as I am not a Harvard scientist)limitations.

People with brown eyes are just genetically better at baseball than people with black hair, just like mongeese, marmots and voles.