Law School Discussion

Poll

What are you planning to do with your JD?

Big Law firm
28 (15.9%)
Mid size firm
30 (17%)
Small Firm
23 (13.1%)
Govt
27 (15.3%)
In House Counsel
30 (17%)
Acadamia
14 (8%)
Other
24 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

For the older students, say 28+

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: For the older students, say 28+
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 12:56:12 PM »
Oh, y'all are striking a familiar chord!  I'm about to turn 30 and I'm not married.  You'd think it was the world's greatest tragedy from the way my family reacts. 

My mom's newest thing is that she's begun to knit clothing for my children.

My as-yet unborn unconceived, unplanned-for children. 

She consults me on color selection and fit, but becomes pouty when I point out the inherent silliness.  "Well, *sigh*, who knows if I'll still be here when you finally decide to have a family?  I'd hate to think that my grandbabies will have nothing that I'd made for them.  IF you even have children, which at this point..."

I am able to take it in stride, for the most part.  But every once in a while...like earlier this month, when I went to my cousin's wedding and watch her hitch her star to an unemployed feminine hygiene product.  Everyone kept sidling up to me and saying, "Don't worry.  I'm sure you'll find someone someday." I kept wanting to scream, "Are you kidding me?!"  I mean, I'm about to head off to a fabulous law school after dreaming about this education for years, but I'm supposed to be suicide on a stick because there's no ring on the magic finger?  Gah.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:13 PM »
you women just dont know how the ssytem works!!!

do what I plan on doing, be 40 and date a hot 18 yr old....   ;D

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
I frankly didn't even feel old enough to be even thinking about being married until I was, oh, 28 or so. I'm 33 now.

I really don't know about the idea of kids during law school, although I've checked out the whole idea of family-friendly schools just in case. I prefer to go to school full-time but if I'm at a school that allows it.... if kids happen, part time's an option (especially as my fiance is a teacher so can be home early enough.)

But as it is, we do sort of want kids (well, one) before we're 40. We figure have one, adopt another! It's kind of stressful to think about starting a new career and having kids at the same time. It's another reason I've no interest in working BigLaw.

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »
"Well, men certainly are intimidated by smart women. But don't worry, you look good so you'll find someone."
 Do men REALLY only want women they perceive as less intelligent?

Sorry to say this, but yes.  I work w/attys & none of them want to be w/someone who's in the same field or equally as intelligent.  The single attys all want girls, not women.  I was even told that i'm not smart b/c i'm not using what i have to get want i want (material things of couse) from any older guy that will be willing to pay for me.  I even know an atty who's very wealthy & is not ashamed of paying for his girls, b/c he gets to brag to all of the married attys who wish they could put their hands on a 19yr old.  I didn't believe that men were this shallow until I started working here.  There's an endless parade of college girls who are 5'10, 100lbs who come in & out of this office.  They don't strike me as the intelligent type either (i've spoken to a couple of them)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »
"Well, men certainly are intimidated by smart women. But don't worry, you look good so you'll find someone."

Sorry to say this, but yes.  I work w/attys & none of them want to be w/someone who's in the same field or equally as intelligent.  The single attys all want girls, not women.  I was even told that i'm not smart b/c i'm not using what i have to get want i want (material things of couse) from any older guy that will be willing to pay for me.  I even know an atty who's very wealthy & is not ashamed of paying for his girls, b/c he gets to brag to all of the married attys who wish they could put their hands on a 19yr old.  I didn't believe that men were this shallow until I started working here.  There's an endless parade of college girls who are 5'10, 100lbs who come in & out of this office.  They don't strike me as the intelligent type either (i've spoken to a couple of them)

whats funny is how women always think that these men are the exception, rather than the rule.  more guys would be like that if they only had the $$$

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 01:27:29 PM »

Here's the key, though: I wouldn't touch an attorney with somebody else's tort.  (Okay, that didn't make much sense, but you know what I'm saying ;))  I've dated lawyers before, and many of my closest friends are lawyers, and I will soon be a lawyer.  Yet still I've come to the firm conclusion that most lawyers are big hairy assclowns. 
I'm not particularly concerned with my partner's "status" or "prestige".  And let's face it, ladies -- if we wanted 19 year olds, we wouldn't even have to pay for it!     

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

whats funny is how women always think that these men are the exception, rather than the rule.  more guys would be like that if they only had the $$$

i don't think this is the exception at all anymore, i'm finding out this is the norm.  i didn't want to believe a friend of mine when he told me that men do everything that they do just to get laid, b/c i wanted to think that they was more to it than that.  i totally believe him now.  and that is why i'm ok w/casual relationships w/men, b/c they can't be anything more.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »

i don't think this is the exception at all anymore, i'm finding out this is the norm.  i didn't want to believe a friend of mine when he told me that men do everything that they do just to get laid, b/c i wanted to think that they was more to it than that.  i totally believe him now.  and that is why i'm ok w/casual relationships w/men, b/c they can't be anything more.

and we love you for that   :-*

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
There are plenty of very intelligent guys out there that aren't lawyers, doctors or anything else that makes big money.  Just remember not to look past a guy based on his job.  Plumbers can be intelligent too.

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »

And let's face it, ladies -- if we wanted 19 year olds, we wouldn't even have to pay for it!     
[/quote]

:D do you think so?!  Think about what 19yr old guys are like...i'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to pay a thing.  ;)